So is this true "Windows Phone is dead"?

badMojo69

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
If this quote is true it seems pretty much a done deal "Microsoft added that they will not pursue the smartphone market any longer as they don’t see any potential of making it big. "

http://nseavoice.com/tech/microsoft-surface-phone-hits-the-can-its-not-happening-920021657.html

Rosebank

Oct 6, 2016
Visit site
Having read that link you supplied I have to agree that the whole surface phone idea has been fabricated by ourselves, BUT lots of evidence to the contrary have also been made apparent, like new patents for mobile device screens, Windows10 on ARM, Emulation of Win32 apps and the continued updating of W10M, so even although there is some truth that the surface phone has been invented by US (the fans and followers) it does not go without some honest presumptions.
Presumptions are dangerous and this is a confusing matter to say the least, we are all guessing, my guess is even MS have no idea which way to go with this and are furiously studying these forums for the next way forward. They are also constrained by what you can actually fit onto a 5 inch device, we might be at the right time for such a technological achievement but I think we are 2 years away from a real solid Windows10 mobile (full windows). and Mobile as in 5.5 inch MAX.

Vasil Dechkov

Apr 8, 2016
Visit site
With this being said, it seems Microsoft doesn't have any plans for Mobile. They're probably just like "ehh, there is no point in new phones now, just keep the builds coming". Which I completely disagree with because the more phones, the more consumers join in. Just like it was with Lumias when they were releasing phones normally. If Surface phone is disconfirmed, then atleast make a Lumia or two.

Rosebank

Oct 6, 2016
Visit site
In not denying or confirming, but who is this source? I've never heard of them before.

Sent from my Alcatel Idol 4S
Never heard of them either, but since reading this I decided to google "surface phone cancelled" and up popped 2 other sources, not sure who they are or if connected and sharing information but they are certainly there.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Re: So is this true "Windows Phone is dead"?

Never heard of them either, but since reading this I decided to google "surface phone cancelled" and up popped 2 other sources, not sure who they are or if connected and sharing information but they are certainly there.

That can happen as they copy each other.
Waiting for a credible news source to speak up. I'm sure they will catch wind of this and say something eventually.

Sent from my Alcatel Idol 4S

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
The call windows phone is dead started in 2012 I believe and got really.popular in 2014. Here it's 2017 and it's still around (so be it in smaller numbers) Will it die someday, probably, but so will all of us.

Twitter: @PhotographyET

PerfectReign

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
The call windows phone is dead
Keep in mind, Nadella has recently stated they're looking at a differentiator.

My guess is that I'm writing this on the first iteration of that concept, the HP 3-in-one. It is a computer that also happens to be a phone. Nadella sees that the holy grail for we modern workers is to have access to our cloud storage documents, workflows, and productivity software anywhere.

With the X3 (and to some degree the 950xl), I have options:
I can use the device as a phone to call my teenagers on my personal sim and my customers and vendors on my work sim.

I can look at and view all my email for work and home in secure encrypted style.

I can make appointments and respond to my schedule.

I can connect to a display and attach a keyboard/mouse to use the device as a rudimentary desktop.

With the same connection, I can remote into my work and home workstations running Windows and Linux.

I can remote into either HP Workspace or my hosted Azure desktop to run full-fledged applications and ERP systems.

That's what the future needs to be.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to react to my friends' cute puppy posts and discuss politics.

Sent from mTalk

metsfan421

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
Surface Phone Not Happening?

Has anyone else seen the headline that the same shady news organizations seem to be copying from one another and mass posting? The headline says, "Microsoft Surface Phone Hits The Can, It’s Not Happening". Anyone find any validity to this? They claim a Microsoft executive stated this at MWC this morning....

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Re: Surface Phone Not Happening?

Has anyone else seen the headline that the same shady news organizations seem to be copying from one another and mass posting? The headline says, "Microsoft Surface Phone Hits The Can, It’s Not Happening". Anyone find any validity to this? They claim a Microsoft executive stated this at MWC this morning....

I have never seen any official story that the Surface Phone was anything other than the desires of a few bloggers. They might consider it in 2019 but for now, Surface Phone will continue as a myth.

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
They're probably just like "ehh, there is no point in new phones now, just keep the builds coming". Which I completely disagree with because the more phones, the more consumers join in.
I would agree with you IF there would be a push to market these phones and W10M as a whole, but that's just not going to happen. MS marketing for anything other than Windows, Office, and Surface is non-existent.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Well, Ms has to build an ecosystem, that's their biggest problem right now. It's not doing too well thus far. Heck when windows 8 apps decide to leave, that's fine. But when UWP apps like Viber decide to stop updating then that means that all the 2-in-1's selling aren't really driving app use, not even in tablet mode. So MS's next bet is the new windows 10 cloud with the snapdragon processors. And if they aren't coming out anytime soon it will be maybe 2-3 years before their ecosystem is decent.

mmcpher

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
That article reads like a misread from a car-tech site, for whom it was somehow surprising that Microsoft wasn't going to launch a new phone of their own at this year's MWC. No one, no where, no how thought Microsoft was bringing a "Surface Phone" to this year's MWC. So thanks for that, whomever you are!

Besides, the article says, "[FONT=georgia, times new roman, serif]Microsoft said that the Surface Phone idea is a highly interesting one and they may consider it in the long future to come". If ever we stay above ground long enough to see this "long future to come", we will doubtless have Surface Phones implanted on our foreheads.

Microsoft has gotten a lot out of the Surface program. A case could be made that Surface, Surface Pro, Surface Book, Surface Studio has revived the entire segment, not through direct Microsoft sales, but by showing other manufacturers the enduring potential in the platform, if you have new ideas. They seem also to be doing something similar with Hololens priming the new-market pump for augmented reality devices. Despite there not being a 2017 version of Hololens. As that segment is still emerging, it may be a case of pushing too fast, too soon if Microsoft were to push out new devices now. Obviously smartphones are a difficult play for Microsoft now, with Android and Apple sucking up all the oxygen, so they want to be careful when and if they dip their own toes back in. They don't want to compromise the cache and value in the Surface name brand with a device that might not fly, even if brilliantly executed. [/FONT]

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Gads. The trolls say these things. Non-reputable click bate sites make up fake news. THEN geez, people don't judge for themselves, the sources. They actually repeat and thus perpetuate the made up stories.

No wonder certain lies are believed.

I'll wait for legitimate news sources. I don't even click once on the goofy news sources.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
As it is MWC right now, it's normal for everyone to start to attack Microsoft and Windows Phone. At least, in being attacked, the platform remains relevant. Everything will die down again shortly. People just attack because perhaps they secretly want Microsoft to release new Windows phone devices but are too scared to admit it for fear of 'rocking the status quo'.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leviwilkersion