Why I wont leave Windows Mobile for the S8

Mark Kaplan

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I got a hands on with the new S8 and honestly I'm not impressed. Unless your an Android fan, you wont like this phone. Windows Phone users are Windows Phone users for a reason. We like the integration into the ecosystem. Even while flawed, I prefer using Windows Mobile over either of the other 2 options. I came to Windows Mobile from Blackberry. I tried both iOS and Android and just could not adapt. The primary reason is I'm a business user. I could care less that I dont have Snapchat and all the other consumer games and play apps. I use my phone for specific needs and Windows Mobile meets those needs. Yes, its frustrating at times, but after working in technology for 0ver 25 years, I'm used to it. I feel that the Windows Phone users are a niche group market that will expand later in the future when the product matures into what Microsofts vision of what our communication devices will look like in the future. Notice I am not using the word "phone" since I believe we will morph into a single device down the road. A true portable PC that also does voice communication as a function. Just my own personal thoughts. Thank you for indulging me.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I got a hands on with the new S8 and honestly I'm not impressed. Unless your an Android fan, you wont like this phone. Windows Phone users are Windows Phone users for a reason. We like the integration into the ecosystem. Even while flawed, I prefer using Windows Mobile over either of the other 2 options. I came to Windows Mobile from Blackberry. I tried both iOS and Android and just could not adapt. The primary reason is I'm a business user. I could care less that I dont have Snapchat and all the other consumer games and play apps. I use my phone for specific needs and Windows Mobile meets those needs. Yes, its frustrating at times, but after working in technology for 0ver 25 years, I'm used to it. I feel that the Windows Phone users are a niche group market that will expand later in the future when the product matures into what Microsofts vision of what our communication devices will look like in the future. Notice I am not using the word "phone" since I believe we will morph into a single device down the road. A true portable PC that also does voice communication as a function. Just my own personal thoughts. Thank you for indulging me.

Mark, did you get to take DeX for a test drive? Would love to know from a fellow business user how it stacks up to Continuum.

Mark Kaplan

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Mark, did you get to take DeX for a test drive? Would love to know from a fellow business user how it stacks up to Continuum.

I didn't have an opportunity to try out DeX. I feel that unless MSFT gets moving with Continuum, Samsung will take the lead here. The basic fact is that after 2 years since Continuum came out, MSFT hasn't done much at all with progressing the functionality.
This article is pretty good at explaining it.

http://www.theverge.com/2017/3/30/15120312/samsung-dex-microsoft-continuum-pc-phone-battle

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I didn't have an opportunity to try out DeX. I feel that unless MSFT gets moving with Continuum, Samsung will take the lead here. The basic fact is that after 2 years since Continuum came out, MSFT hasn't done much at all with progressing the functionality.

http://www.theverge.com/2017/3/30/15120312/samsung-dex-microsoft-continuum-pc-phone-battle

To be fair, the last 2 years have been all downhill on Mobile. The Creator Update later this year is supposedly bringing windowed apps on Continuum. It'll be nice for Microsoft to have someone nipping at their heels since Sentio (formerly Andromium) has proven to be a bug-infestation worthy of a Bronx apartment and with way fewer apps than Continuum.

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
Curious as to what the Arrow Launcher looks like on the S8. I've used this launcher in the past and it was a good shell for handling app launching; etc.

PerfectReign

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
Curious as to what the Arrow Launcher looks like on the S8. I've used this launcher in the past and it was a good shell for handling app launching; etc.
Love it on my SGS6:

https://twitter.com/PerfectReign/statuses/848002881349271553

19xglm0.jpg

Sent from mTalk

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site

looks like the video implies a conscious effort/intent from Samsung to sell, or provide, the dock to pubic locations.

Ray Picone

Feb 7, 2017
Visit site
I use the Arrow Launcher on both my Android Tablet and my Galaxy S7 but the Microsoft lockscreen Next app doesn't update the Bing Wallpaper unless I restart the phone since I upgraded to Android 7.

I still prefer using my Microsoft 640 90% of the time. Every time I try using my S7 I quickly switch back to the Windows 640 because it just doesn't do everything as simply.

Iain_S

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

I have the elite x3 and the alcatel idol, but I'm currently using my s7 edge for work and iPhone 7 plus for personal. I have loaded the launcher 10 on my s7 edge with actually works very well and very smooth and gives me the windows 10 look plus having apps I need for work and also excellent integration with ms services, outlook, onedrive, office, teams, groups, groove, not really missing my windows 10 phones anymore, and yes I have preordered an s8 plus also. Unless Microsoft really get their **** together with RS3 on mobile and continuum they might as well kill off their mobile efforts completely, its also very strange that they have not added support for the SD 821 or 835 with the CU.

unmorphed

Mar 23, 2016
Visit site
I'm sticking it out. My 950 still works great.

Honestly, if there are no new options (i.e., "Surface phone") when my 950 craps out or breaks, I'll probably just buy another 950.

alohadiaz123

Apr 6, 2017
Visit site
I agree Mark, I think only Android users will be interested in this device.

Sent from mTalk on my SP4

Lumia 950 here, and before that IPhone 6 Plus and before that Nokia 1520. When I left IPhone for the second time I swore I would never go back to Apple. I own a surface pro4, 3 and Xbox one. I love my windows devices but I pre ordered a Samsung S8 on Monday . I really wanted to hold out for the surface phone I considered the HP elite but wanted to stay with the brand so I switched to 950 5 months ago and now I'm done and ready to jump ship. MS just taking to long with new flagship phones. :cry:

cowboy6201

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
Nope staying right here with my 950, if MSFT kills it, I'll be the one still trying to use my phone, wondering :sweaty:why it won't work.:sweaty:

buffalosolja

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
If they could just get continuum support for Citrix Reciever I could get my whole company (small roughtly 250) to get devices. I have been involved in talks to cutting our expenditures for devices because all compute power is housed in datacenter.

Luk Tanguy

Apr 13, 2015
Visit site
Not at all planning to switch. I am really happy with my 950 xl and 930.

AccentAE86

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
I love windows phone, and I love my 950, but every phone meets the end of it's era. And if there is nothing good coming from the windows camp, where else can we go? I need a great camera. Not a decent one, a great one. I'm willing to downgrade from amazing to great by leaving the Lumia line, but cannot settle for decent. That's the one reason keeping me away from the X3 or Idol. Every single smartphone out there can do email text and web, but aside from that, the camera is the most used component of a phone. So its gotta be damn good. Which is why I am so disgruntled that Microsoft ditched all the amazing talent of the Lumia imaging team. Now with one of the main Nokia imaging brains at Apple, we are already seeing nokia-esque imaging innovation in the 7+ with dual lenses/sensors, and that weird fake blur thing. I'm not a fan of the fake blur, but you gotta admit, that is totally a Nokia-style imaging move to bring in something niche like that. And could you NOT totally see a dual lens/sensor focal length phone like the 7+ on a Lumia, if Nokia was still running the show?

RJ Priest

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
No. I will stick with my Lumia 1520 for as long as it continues to function, or until Microsoft releases a worthy upgrade. I just love the 1520 too much.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb