Looking for a new phone

Braheem Hazeem III

Dec 10, 2014
Visit site
I'm currently on a Nexus 5x and I am sick of it's poor battery life and general sluggishness, this is actually my second replacement also. Anyway, I'm really excited about up coming phones that run real windows 10, not the mobile version. Like the HP elite X3, unfortunately that phone is a little out of my price range. I would like something that is a current phone, but it seems like the newest Lumia phones are nearly 2 years old. I really don't care about apps much, I pretty much just use Facebook, and groove music, but is also capable of taking pictures and video in 1080p like my current phone. I'm trying to stay under 200 dollars if possible, anything out there like that? The Acer liquid jade primo looks nice and is 250 with dock keyboard and mouse on amazon right now, but some of the reviews were pretty negative. Any other suggestions or are there any other phones out there like the hp that run emulation on windows 10 desktop?

Last edited:

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I think you misunderstand the current state of Windows Phones.

1. They all run the Mobile version of Windows 10. No phone runs the full version, including the Elite X3.
2. As for current phones, you're probably going to be looking at an Alcatel or Chinese phone, but honestly, the Lumia is the way to go probably. A used Lumia 950 probably will fit the bill but I would recommend against getting a Windows Phone because...

- The app situation is poor, now I understand you don't need many, but Facebook is inferior, Messenger is inferior, Edge isn't as awesome as it should be, and improvements are scant. I remember back when Groove, Camera and Cortana would crash more often than I could tolerate, and while Windows 10 Mobile has improved, it is still not quite at Android or iOS levels of reliability. (even though 8.1 knocked it out of the park)

- Not much future. Microsoft is almost certainly restricting the upcoming major update to a handful of recent models, and even then this update doesn't bring half the improvements that Android has added in the past year.

- The Camera may not be reliable.

Now of course, plenty of people here will state that they have all the apps they need, W10M is bulletproof and the camera doesn't lose photos or crash. Yes, there are many people who have flawless or acceptable experiences and you may be one of them, but I can't recommend it in good faith unless you were spending, say, $30 on it.

I would strongly recommend a different Android (one that gets security updates reliably like your Nexus or Blackberry Android offerings - maybe you should erase your 5X first and see if it improves. I used to have a 5X and while battery life was always mediocre, performance was acceptable.) or iPhone. Heck, a used iPhone 5s will do those things, come in at under $200 and still get updates for at least another year or two, outlasting the 5X most likely.

Braheem Hazeem III

Dec 10, 2014
Visit site
As I stated, this is my second replacement I have had on this nexus 5x a reset isn't going to fix this, groove music will sometimes delay up to 5 minutes after hitting play (this happened after an andoid update last year,) I had a fire phone before this that ran a ton better. Anyway, maybe I am ahead of what is going on currently, Windows 10 full desktop definitely is running on arm cpus. MS Announced this back in December? I thought the hp elite x3 already did this though. Video from MS showing this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_GlGglbu1U

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
As I stated, this is my second replacement I have had on this nexus 5x a reset isn't going to fix this, groove music will sometimes delay up to 5 minutes after hitting play (this happened after an andoid update last year,) I had a fire phone before this that ran a ton better. Anyway, maybe I am ahead of what is going on currently, Windows 10 full desktop definitely is running on arm cpus. MS Announced this back in December? I thought the hp elite x3 already did this though. Video from MS showing this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_GlGglbu1U

Are you sure it's not only Groove? But of course you would know, and the 5X's 2 GB of RAM is probably a tad restrictive for power users though.

Anyways, that was a tech demo and is not even confirmed to EVER make it onto any phone in the near future.

What is on the horizon though, is ARM Windows laptops and tablets. But not phones.

The Elite X3 is still on W10M and given how MS supports things post-sale, it's going to stay that way.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99