Positive Windows phone news thread

mattiasnyc

Nov 20, 2016
Visit site
Hoping

Sent from (iOK)

Well, the way I interpret it all is:

- If there were new features planned for Windows 10 Mobile then surely they'd be in development by now. There have been so few (zero) new features for such a long time that that's the only reasonable conclusion.

- If they were in development then surely a decision would have been made whether or not they'd roll out on Win10M or not.

- Since she wasn't specifically saying just that (that there are new Windows 10 Mobile features coming) I think it's pretty safe to conclude that there actually are NOT any new features coming. A bit disappointing, because it makes it seem like the OS is indeed on a pure maintenance track.

- And since that is the case it pretty much leaves only a couple of options: a) MS is developing a new branch of W10M that won't install on current devices, and that branch gets new features, and/or b) MS is developing for Win 10 on ARM instead, relying on cShell etc to drive the "mobile" experience. The end result is likely the same as "a" for all current device owners in that W10ARM won't run on current devices (I'm guessing), at least not officially. And that in turn leaves a Surface Phone or third party devices running W10ARM.

Either way her answer was really unambiguous. Decisions seem to have been made already and they're not favorable to Windows 10 Mobile Phone specifically. This is almost the opposite of "good news" the way I see it.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
Well, the way I interpret it all is:

- If there were new features planned for Windows 10 Mobile then surely they'd be in development by now. There have been so few (zero) new features for such a long time that that's the only reasonable conclusion.

- If they were in development then surely a decision would have been made whether or not they'd roll out on Win10M or not.

- Since she wasn't specifically saying just that (that there are new Windows 10 Mobile features coming) I think it's pretty safe to conclude that there actually are NOT any new features coming. A bit disappointing, because it makes it seem like the OS is indeed on a pure maintenance track.

- And since that is the case it pretty much leaves only a couple of options: a) MS is developing a new branch of W10M that won't install on current devices, and that branch gets new features, and/or b) MS is developing for Win 10 on ARM instead, relying on cShell etc to drive the "mobile" experience. The end result is likely the same as "a" for all current device owners in that W10ARM won't run on current devices (I'm guessing), at least not officially. And that in turn leaves a Surface Phone or third party devices running W10ARM.

Either way her answer was really unambiguous. Decisions seem to have been made already and they're not favorable to Windows 10 Mobile Phone specifically. This is almost the opposite of "good news" the way I see it.

The windows insiders teams aren't privy to any long term plans. They are aware of, and work on, immediate short term work.

Hence, they will never be able to give direct answers, to big picture questions unless they are working on something actively for release.

The current work is for FCU, and we already know mobile gets no new features yet (apart from perhaps the HP ones). So nothing said there is particularly surprising.

I mean there's cshell, the paint 3d work, the files on demand work. Its all half done, its there but there's no immediate plan to release it. So whether its being released at some point or not, OF COURSE, the insiders group knows nothing about it.

Me, I think its smart working on bugfixes. If they are going to release new features they SHOULD wait till they have the whole OS running smoothly IMO.

I think there is a few ways that can be read myself, what she did say though

a) Planned features are not specifically win10m. Things like files on demand, cloud clipboard and timeline are all supposed to be android, ios and win10m. So could be that the focus is just now multi-platform there, and they've been told to word things that way, because its supposed to be "inclusive", such as not to push away potential consumers using other mobile OSes. We saw them being VERY careful with this at build - when they demo'd windows 10m running files on demand, they specifically pointed out this would work on other devices. Seems like they are being very careful to try and make android and ios users aware these are not windows features, but mobile features.

b) They are putting Andromeda first. So the current plan is to lead with that SKU, and device, but win10m may follow (or not)

c) There is just no concrete short term plan for any mobile features ATM, just a bunch of vague ones, that the insiders team don't really know whats going to happen with.

I don't see any point much in win10 on arm, on a mobile device, unless the feature can be used without a dock or peripheral.

I don't see the functional purpose in any "reboot" either. Its windows 10 on desktop, win10m on mobile, any additional features or changed features are just new build numbers, not new revisions.

I mean maybe, yeah its a thing they will do WoA some point, and I can see it having its uses, but I don't see it capturing even a small marketshare based on the niche uses for continuum/dex etc. It's likely part of the future, but without unique hardware to utilize it, I don't think is much of a showstopper. Also, they haven't finished cshell. Like most things dev, and msft these days, everything is completed in phases, in multiple roll outs. It's most likely we'd actually see cshell code implemented in desktop and other areas before we'd actually see a fully fledged device using it. We'd at minimum see a demo, like we have with windows on arm.

Myself I am not that fussed on new OS features. I'd like to see timeline, and Cortana skills (part of Cortana), cloud clipboard (part of the swiftkey keyboard on ios and android, and likely part of the new keyboard in windows), and files on demand (part of onedrive). As these are OS wide features, that are partially cloud based, and they are already changing the app based portion for desktop, and changing the keyboard across the platform, I'd be a little surprised if they didn't happen - and they were also promised at build (for android, ios and win10m). The amount of work it would take to bring those to win10m, considering the work is already going into desktop, and the cloud, seems pretty small.

Indeed specifically preventing them from coming to win10m would actually require work - because the new changed apps would need to be modified when running on mobile.

mattiasnyc

Nov 20, 2016
Visit site
The windows insiders teams aren't privy to any long term plans. They are aware of, and work on, immediate short term work.

Hence, they will never be able to give direct answers, to big picture questions unless they are working on something actively for release.

How do we know this? I'm not saying it's not true, I just don't know how we know.

My interpretation is based on the way she responded, including her expression when she did. There's just something.... about it....

I would say that if MS operates by having longer plans and phases etc, then if there was a plan to update the OS with new features then saying that without committing to a specific date is fine. It'd soothe the naysayers. Not doing so and instead deflecting like she did does nothing to soothe anyone's concerns.

But I think we're digressing from the spirit of this thread, and it was partly my fault that that happened, so I apologize and will stop now.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
How do we know this? I'm not saying it's not true, I just don't know how we know.

My interpretation is based on the way she responded, including her expression when she did. There's just something.... about it....

I would say that if MS operates by having longer plans and phases etc, then if there was a plan to update the OS with new features then saying that without committing to a specific date is fine. It'd soothe the naysayers. Not doing so and instead deflecting like she did does nothing to soothe anyone's concerns.

But I think we're digressing from the spirit of this thread, and it was partly my fault that that happened, so I apologize and will stop now.

Well I can't remember the name of the dude, but he's a significant person high up and he said that insider teams are not privy to things outside of the work they do, to long term plans etc on twitter.

Maybe someone can help me remember the name of the fellow. People have been drilling the insider teams for awhile now about the future of win10m. I don't think they are the people to ask, they aren't in charge of what happens, they just work on insider builds, which means all they need to know about currently is FCU.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
View attachment 136811

Spotted on the azure developer twitter. Looks EXACTLY like both the patent, and the Andromeda project I've been talking about for a month or so.

If its been spotted on campus, and has promotional pics being slyly teased - it can't be far off (a year?). Its beyond proto at minimum. If its around campus, logically it must be in software testing/bugfixing phase.

Thing is huge - sized like a phablet, but with two detachable screens connected by that patented magnetic hinge. That's a lot of screen real estate.

Makes a regular phablet look like a babies toy.

mattiasnyc

Nov 20, 2016
Visit site
Well I guess if that's what MS has been working on then a new more portable device is probably not coming, unfortunately. That thing is essentially a tablet size device. Unless they also release a greatly shrunken one...

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Well I guess if that's what MS has been working on then a new more portable device is probably not coming, unfortunately. That thing is essentially a tablet size device. Unless they also release a greatly shrunken one...

My point exactly.
Maybe if someday it becomes more pocketable, but I'm not giving up my smartphone for that.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site

Its a phablet. Like around the size of the Mi Max.

They didn't release a variety of sizes of hybrid tablet, and you still got them, as well as different configurations. The iphone was released in one size, and now we have a load of them. What do you think OEMs are for? Once the idea is out there, and the SKU to run it, other people will be doing it.

Besides there's probably an x3 in the work, and maybe an alcatel in regular slab size surely. At least thems the rumours and as you can see, just cause its a rumour, don't mean it aint real - because people knew that magnetic hinge badboy was coming years ago..

The point is that they are still working on this shizz. Which is positive even if you don't want a large phablet right?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077