Positive Windows phone news thread

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I am thinking because of MS's biggest customer, HP. MS doesn't give a rats a$$ about us but I can't see them screwing over HP after putting out the x3.

Twitter: @PhotographyET

I don't know that HP had a choice. Android certainly doesn't have anything to make Workspace work. HP is leveraging Continuum and MS's unbeatable RDP to make that go. Let's see what DeX brings to the table.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site

It's really nice, for me, to see that the IoT core is ready for such implementation. I'm hoping Cortana bots go big, and a watch run mostly by voice, with phone calling, would work a lot better than a watch run mostly by touch, that you have to pair with a bulky phone IMO.

Also because MS has been promising its IoT vision, and yeah, it takes time to get things right, but a little peak under the curtain helps keep the faith!

PerfectReign

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
I'm hoping Cortana bots go big, and a watch run mostly by voice, with phone calling, would work a lot better than a watch run mostly by touch, that you have to pair with a bulky phone IMO.
What you stated may be one of the Ideas MS has in mind when people like Dona mention that we should think of "mobile" more in terms of something other than just a smartphone.

I have read articles about another app - WeChat - being used in many Asian countries as an all in one app. Don't see much use here in the US but maybe Cortana will take up some slack.

6u65AYG.jpg

Sent from mTalk

Windowsmoose

Apr 7, 2017
Visit site
I also agree with your comments about Cortana and the future. One of the reasons I enjoy Windows mobile is because of Cortana. I know that siri and google assistants mat be better at searching but I feel they are so dull in personality. Cortana feels more natural to talk to. I would be quite happy as you mention for Cortana to be a big part of mobile future. Especially if she is available and integrated across all of my technology. http://m.imdb.com/title/tt1798709/

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
I also agree with your comments about Cortana and the future. One of the reasons I enjoy Windows mobile is because of Cortana. I know that siri and google assistants mat be better at searching but I feel they are so dull in personality. Cortana feels more natural to talk to. I would be quite happy as you mention for Cortana to be a big part of mobile future. Especially if she is available and integrated across all of my technology. Her (2013) - IMDb

That is such a good movie for as Microsoft alludes "natural" interface methods. Augmented reality, hand gestures, speech. There is very little touch involved. I think in that, the movie is quite predictive.

That's definitely cool MS has gone with many streaming services. I think one of the limiting factors for the other offers on market is the fact they are locked to the manufacturers services. Although it still doesn't work for people like me, who don't stream at all :p

The inclusion of skype is very handy.

I hope if they are showing off the Invoke that bot intergration is close. Those two things really need to happen around the same time.

Last edited by a moderator:

eryker

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Keep going to a big box near base and looking at all the nice shiny Sammy's (S8) and Motorola's (Moto Z) and wearables (Gear S3 Frontier). And you know what, I look at their home screens, look at my live tiles the Windows Mobile UX, and walk away. Long live Windows Mobile, best cellphone OS there is, despite everything.

Dare2Blink

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
yes please, thank you. I can't understand why so many people seem to be all doom and gloom around here. We are at a great turning point in technology in which we will finally, after so many years of promisses, have a full ultra mobile pc in our pockets, and I can't wait for next year when the first devices start to come out.

Is it frustrating that this year we basically have no new hardware to buy? Sure but I think that a few years from now we will look back at how cool it was to see the bird of the ultra mobile PC.

Keep going to a big box near base and looking at all the nice shiny Sammy's (S8) and Motorola's (Moto Z) and wearables (Gear S3 Frontier). And you know what, I look at their home screens, look at my live tiles the Windows Mobile UX, and walk away. Long live Windows Mobile, best cellphone OS there is, despite everything.
I know right? I feel exactly the same way everytime I look at any android or IOS home screen (android just looks bad and ancient, IOS just looks incredibly boring and lifeless). This is why I will gladly hold on to my 950 XL untill next year when Microsoft releases it

Last edited by a moderator:

gano101

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Call me naive, but despite the lack of commitment from MS I'm still optimistic WM has a future.

1, Windows Mobile has never looked better nor had more promise than it does now.
2, Satya doesn't want to be remembered as 'that bloke that killed WM'
3, it's a part of the Universal experience
4, MS can afford to weather the mobile storm

So, yeah. This is why I'm not worried about the future of WM.

We'll, maybe a teeny bit :)

N8tiveT3ch

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
I have been noticing the doom and gloom windows phone articles. As I stated this in some form that I not a big app guy so that argument gets old but oddly still relevant. I have a 950xl and it works. I get emails I receive text messages. I like the notification tray because it works for my needs.

sharath prakash

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
First of all Let me make it clear that apart from occasions where my phone was sent to repair I have never been away from Windows phone/Windows 10 mobile. I have also been an insider from day 1 till now and have only skipped like 5-10 builds in between.

Now into the topic of the moment. One area where W10M just kicks every other platform out of the water is the home screen. I am yet to see any better implementation of a home screen on any OS. It is incredibly informative and you will be hard pressed to find two W10M's looking the same.

Then there is the action center which is amongst the cleanest in the business. There are no annoying banner notification from any app (Cough! Android). It is also very well laid out and now supports interactive notifications and all. The quick actions are nice and well laid out too.

Even though W10M is a bit behind of 8.1 in terms of raw smoothness, it is very smooth and fluid and is impressive on even small phones and I very much like to believe that Microsoft used creator's update to polish out the OS rather than the probable fact that they are abandoning it.

Android is customizable to an insane degree and that also makes it incredibly vulnerable to hackers and all. iOS is the other extreme where it is such a locked down environment that sometimes it makes you mad. W10M treads somewhere in between with good level of customizability without sacrificing security.

I also think the real reason for WP's failure is that MS never really invested in it, they were never sure whether to go full throttle or to abandon and the platform was caught in between. The store literally S***s at showing you what you want and that hurts development. I think with all the capabilities that is available to developers now will be a good time to shell out some money and get developers back with incentives, support and what not.

I know it wont happen but hoping is a free thing, so I still have hope.

raytiger

Jul 8, 2015
Visit site
I can't really dislike or blame Msft for anything, I don't have any regret to do so, my L930 does all I need and I'm happy with it. Thanks for this thread, I'm never leaving...

Withheld

Feb 10, 2015
Visit site
Crossposting I've only been a member for a few years and being a phone fan, visited on occasion long before that. The reasons I became a member was the increasing diversity of articles related to all of Microsoft products & services. Growth is important to every site. Not just for us readers but to retain great staff as well.
Regardless of the phones status, I’m bit concerned of the growing number of phone articles & titles that evoke bitter responses from trolls on both sides of the debate. *Some never owed a MS product and claim they did, while others wished they didn't’t and some like me who will be probably be buried with something MS. God I love the Internet..
I don’t feel current or former fans should feel ashamed to be on their favorite site but can only begin to understand the difficulty journalists have at balancing principals.
I’ll never claim to be an expert but hope we can all find some balance because it can drive off the core.
Cheers!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99