Positive Windows phone news thread

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
I think these already support windows mobile

Sent from mTalk

As you can see, they originally came to the Windows platform as win32's:

Lara Croft GO on Steam

Hitman was also originally a win32. They hit the windows store after they hit the platform as win32s.

When I made a game guide for windows tablets, a few months ago, they were PC only in the store I am 99% sure (maybe I am wrong perhaps there, they did come to the platform as win32s before they hit the windows store).

Deus Ex was also at that point on Android, and iOS but definitely not in the windows store yet. That's been ported relatively recently.

It does seem like some developers have a "port everywhere" approach. Another example would be leo's fortune developer 1337 & Senri LLC - which also runs OSX, playstation 4, xbox 1, android, ios or for another example, the gameloft games.

It kinda makes sense - if you make an xbox game, its apparently very easy to port it to win32. From there centennial bridge is an obvious move OR you could write the game in xamarin, and port from there to ios, android and UWP, or you could port from ios, all paths lead to rome.

If you have a popular title, its easier to port it, than to start writing a new game entirely. Juice that puppy. If you writing for multiple stores and platforms xbox/windows 10/windows 10 mobile existing in a "cluster" makes it a lot easier, than say getting your code to playstation. Hence windows 10 mobile ends up with more games than it would otherwise.

It would be cool to see some more of the xbox ports, eventually become full UWPs, as the halo series, fallout shelter and tiny soldiers did. Maybe oxenfree, even the turing test.

I don't think phones will handle quantum break any time soon, but I think its pretty cool, that for a platform without banking apps yet (UWP), and only 1-2.5% users atm, the gaming situation is really pretty sweet due to all the porting suites, and having a relative over on the xbox.

And its interesting to think about too, because all the doomsdayers will say that developers are leaving, and sure some are. But at the same time, a lot of developers are actually literally JUST coming in, whether its WhatsApp and iTunes, Spotify via the pc only centennial bridge, or Mega or big game titles being ported right across the platform.

And you can see a progression in developers, like the Go series, or Kodi, from win32 to centennial bridge to 100% pure UWP. A flow, in the direction we all want that flow heading.

It's kinda positive for mobile :) Maybe its not the flood of UWP everyone would like, but its a movement, a momentum to be built on.

Last edited:

PerfectReign

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
Okay, this was pretty cool (for me).

Yesterday, while walking my dog in the morning, I was holding my Elite X3 in the same hand as the leash. Suddenly an evil rabbit appeared and my dog wanted to invite it for breakfast. She loves chasing the rabbits, and even the coyotes, but especially the squirrels - so she instinctively whipped around and tried to give chase.

Unfortunately, my X3 flew out of my hand, hit the ground, and now has a nice crack on the screen despite the IP67 rating it has. The device is still very much usable but I was annoyed (at the rabbit).

WP_20170523_07_02_51_Pro_LI.jpg

So, while reading a few threads about the 950xl, and wanting to try out the Wallet app, I fired up my 950xl. It was already updated to the latest insider build, as I use it on weekends to take pictures during my son's basketball games. Today I had a little fun. While the X3 sounds better, has a nice decent size screen, front facing speakers - this device fits in my pocket a little better and I was able to import my credit card. I used it at Subway today to get some lunch. Very cool!

wp_ss_20170523_0009.png

Now, I just need Mobile Hotspot working again. http://forums.windowscentral.com/images/smilies/wpcentral20/straight.png

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
If you are a podcast listener take a look at Brad Sam's (Sam's Report) latest podcast. Brad has always been a "WP is dead" dude and his latest podcast is titled "New hope for Windows Phone fans". It centers around a "mobile device" on ARM, (like others have been talking about). It was refreshing though hearing a "WP is dead" dude talking about a possible phone/mobile coming from MS in the future.

Twitter: @PhotographyET

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99