Positive Windows phone news thread

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
They're experimenting with Android. The major hiccup is the lack of a Continuum-like feature. If you weren't aware, DeX disables the phone so you can't use the phone while doing your desktop deal.

Sent from my Lumia 1520 via mTalk

I thought Dex was a Samsung thing and not a Google baked in Android thing?

I didn't realize Dex would disable the phone side when in use. That seems like a major hiccup. Although, having said that, I've only used continuum to either see how it worked or test that my apps worked in that mode.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I thought Dex was a Samsung thing and not a Google baked in Android thing?

I didn't realize Dex would disable the phone side when in use. That seems like a major hiccup. Although, having said that, I've only used continuum to either see how it worked or test that my apps worked in that mode.
Yes, it's a Samsung exclusive - for now. I would imagine it being opened up to all Android handsets eventually. And yes, while the S8 is docked the phone is knocked out. As if the display aspect ratio wasn't enough, this was the coup d'grace for the S8+ when I had it.

Sent from my Lumia 1520 via mTalk

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
It's probably been like this for ages, but today when firing up my ole Lumia 950XL for the first time in months I noticed that the maps app supports transparency effects. Is this 'fluent styling'? I assumed that would require an OS update. For example hitting the three dots on the toolbar expands a partially transparent menu. Looks pretty nice!

Example: here you faintly see South America shine through the settings menu:

fluent-maps.jpg

Last edited:

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
It's probably been like this for ages, but today when firing up my ole Lumia 950XL for the first time in months I noticed that the maps app supports transparency effects. Is this 'fluent styling'? I assumed that would require an OS update. For example hitting the three dots on the toolbar expands a partially transparent menu. Looks pretty nice!

Example: here you faintly see Africa shine through the settings menu:

View attachment 137029
If you have the volume control on voice navigation then it's a fairly new version you have there.

Sent from my HP Elite x3 on mTalk

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Ahh, that makes sense.
So do you think they would have 2 versions? I'd hate to see HP abandon WIndows.

I have a fear they would boot MS out. Google makes a lot of money and can support Android. MS can't even make Bill's chauffer's monthly salary from Windows Phone.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Ok,
I did not know what a Motorola MC55 was until I looked it up and saw one on Amazon. The MC55 was apparently a Windows Mobile Classic 6.1 device. Well I found a Wi-Fi cert for a Motorola MC55xx device as I was browsing the Wi-Fi.org site like I usually do. It could even turn out that it won't be running any flavor of Windows on it, but wanted to share it anyway. It is possible it could be used for a Business or Enterprise specific function though.

http://certifications.prod.wi-fi.org/pdf/certificate/public/download?cid=WFA73251

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Ok,
I did not know what a Motorola MC55 was until I looked it up and saw one on Amazon. The MC55 was apparently a Windows Mobile Classic 6.1 device. Well I found a Wi-Fi cert for a Motorola MC55xx device as I was browsing the Wi-Fi.org site like I usually do. It could even turn out that it won't be running any flavor of Windows on it, but wanted to share it anyway. It is possible it could be used for a Business or Enterprise specific function though.

http://certifications.prod.wi-fi.org/pdf/certificate/public/download?cid=WFA73251

The MC55 was one of many Enterprise Digital Assistants released by Motorola-Symbol-Zebra around '09. They enjoyed major league support that would make a Lumia owner cry. I believe that one's end of support was last year :shocked: while the ES400 was just a few months ago. To think we moan about Windows "Mobile" being dead yet the REAL Windows Mobile (6.5) got updates this year. Kind of puts things in a weird perspective.

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I just stopped an alarm on my 950XL using my PC. An alarm rang in the other room, I got a notification on my PC, and I could stop the alarm by dismissing the notification. Maybe this is an ancient option, but I had never done that. Sweet! Discovering new handy features counts as good news, right?

Stephen Pedersen1

Jan 28, 2015
Visit site
iTunes will soon be on UWP too. I love continuum but until C-Shell comes, I did not get as much out of it I think as I could have.

This is a phone thread, but iTunes won't be on Windows phone though, correct? That would be crazy of apple to do such a thing. Why would they help out MS dying phone?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)