Supporting family with Windows 10 mobile... is it time to call it a day?

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
@N1cks

Yeah. Android refuses to play nice with Outlook.

I recently got my hands on a Blackberry DTEK50. The BB Hub seems to do a good job of syncing Outlook while keeping Gmail out of the way.

You can get Blackberry Hub on a non-BB, but there is a fee. They do have a free trial if you want to check it out. I think it is 30 days.

fulnix

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
I love my 950xl but am slowly disappointed everyday as features work less and less. I gave my Mom the 950 I got with my 950xl and she loves the camera. I bought my Dad a 640 which was great because my Mom could help him with it and worked liked his desktop. Now with features dying I'm not sure what to do. My parents don't want to change and I feel responsible. It hit home today when I tried to Skype them to say hi for Christmas, they are in FL. The experience was one of the most frustrating and disappointing we've had with our phones. This is probably a combination of W10M ending support and the poor support from the Skype team. MS I'm so disappointed 😞

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I love my 950xl but am slowly disappointed everyday as features work less and less. I gave my Mom the 950 I got with my 950xl and she loves the camera. I bought my Dad a 640 which was great because my Mom could help him with it and worked liked his desktop. Now with features dying I'm not sure what to do. My parents don't want to change and I feel responsible. It hit home today when I tried to Skype them to say hi for Christmas, they are in FL. The experience was one of the most frustrating and disappointing we've had with our phones. This is probably a combination of W10M ending support and the poor support from the Skype team. MS I'm so disappointed

I think iPhones might be the best long term option now - get something like a 6s or SE and use FaceTime. As seamless as it gets these days.

And you know Apple isn’t going to cut and run thankfully.

N1cks

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
My parents don't want to change and I feel responsible. It hit home today when I tried to Skype them to say hi for Christmas, they are in FL.

I know exactly what you're taking about.

For me, choosing a new phone is turning into an existential crisis.

I still like my Windows Live tiles. My startscreen shows updates from News, Instagram (6Tag), Twitter, weather & Calendar without even opening an app. I can't replicate this in Android or iOS. I tried the Square Home launcher on Android, but didn't like it.

iOS and Android each have other advantages though.

If an OEM made an Android with Microsoft services baked in (properly), I'd probably go with that. Otherwise it's an iPhone X - but damn that things expensive.

startsreen400.jpg

PerfectReign

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
If an OEM made an Android with Microsoft services baked in (properly), I'd probably go with that. Otherwise it's an iPhone X - but damn that things expensive.

FWIW, the Iphone 10 is a great device. To alleviate the upfront costs I bought it on the Apple upgrade program with Apple Care. I've been happy with it and only rarely use my 950xl anymore. The camera is fantastic. While I would like live tiles, they never quite updated the way I wanted. I am using the swift key keyboard and find Outlook works better than on my Windows devices.

Oh and I am a former Iphone bashing person as the devices prior to Ios 10 were terrible.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
I think iPhones might be the best long term option now - get something like a 6s or SE and use FaceTime. As seamless as it gets these days.

And you know Apple isn’t going to cut and run thankfully.

I felt the same way. It wasn’t that I thought the OS was necessarily the best, it was I knew if I invested in their ecosystem they wouldn’t leave me in a year. Let’s face it, we invest a lot of time and money into our devices and want them to be around for a while.

3DPiper

Dec 13, 2008
Visit site
Arg, I am in the same boat. My whole family has windows phones, and now they are being choked into submission by Microsoft. Yesterday we noticed the recognized-the-music in cortona is not working.

I have a 1520, wife and two kids have 640s, oldest daughter has a 820. I purchased all phones for everyone.

Oldest daughter recently said 'since my screen is cracked, can I buy a galaxy phone?' She didn't understand that it is an android phone. Even so, I said 'you can buy whatever you like since YOU are buying it'.. Not sure if she will.

If we have to jump ship (as was said before), Microsoft gets what it deserves. I can't believe this. I have been with Windows Mobile, adopted Windows Phone from day one (yay! finally something different that rounded icons!), Lumias, and have stuck with 1520 even through very difficult problems (right now GPS doesn't work)..

As aggravating as it may be, we would move to android. Probably Motos..

Microsoft pulled the rug out from under us with no path to replace what they are discontinuing. They get what they deserve..

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jallymonz