05-05-2017 09:16 PM
99 123 ...
tools
    Hello guys!!

I have been using android for many years and lately i have noticed a severe dicline in quality and usability. I have been wanting to switch several times bow and since i just crushed the screen on my note 5, i am seriously thinking into investing in a WP10. I have been reading up a lot and cant seem to be able to filter the crap from the truth about the future of WP. I want to jump to the platfprm now via a used lumia or something else, so when surface phone comes out i will be fully enveloped inot the ecosystem. However is there a future windows phone? Should i switch or stay android?

Please advise, what is yiur perception of whats going on.

P.s app gap is NO issue for me, after so many years of android and its amazing app market i have realized, everyone (be honest with yourself) uses very few apps, and for the rest we go online any way! Not to mention that 99.9% of all apps are just portals! Furthermore I am IT pro and use MS everytging but phone.
    ven07, Drael646464 and RobertP1 like this.
    04-25-2017 02:43 PM
    Come on in the waters fine :)

Welcome to Windows Central by the way.
    We'd like to see you join up here as a member no matter what you decide.
    04-25-2017 02:53 PM
    In your case, I would suggest trying it out. I don't think you have anything to lose at this point. Just make sure to check that the few apps you do use are available in the store before doing so.

The Surface phone is probably not going to "surface" until next year at the earliest. We don't know the future of this platform but from what I understand, Microsoft isn't planning to shut it down.
    04-25-2017 02:56 PM
    Welcome! It sounds like you will fit in just fine. I came here from Android also and am not looking back. Love the OS and look forward to the future.

Sent from mTalk on my SP4
    04-25-2017 04:08 PM
    I'd recommend going to an iPhone if you can. Microsoft has 94 apps & counting waiting for you :)
    Timbre70, nasznjoka, ven07 and 1 others like this.
    04-25-2017 04:28 PM
    I'd recommend going to an iPhone if you can. Microsoft has 94 apps & counting waiting for you :)
    Maybe you didn't read the OP's post. Here, I'll help. "app gap is no issue for me".

Sent from my Alcatel Idol 4S
    fatclue_98, ven07, slivy58 and 7 others like this.
    04-25-2017 04:55 PM
    I would only advise that you stay away from budget models if you want to get a true sense of the OS. Ignore the noise from the haters. Most of them are angry because they bought cheap phones and expect flagship performance. Also, it is highly recommended to buy a phone that came with Windows 10 from factory. They are the only ones getting official updates from here on out.

Sent from Alcatel Idol 4S with Windows via mTalk
    TgeekB, Guytronic, libra89 and 8 others like this.
    04-25-2017 05:17 PM
    This is a really tough question. I was actually going to say the opposite of @fatclue_98 and tell you that you could give it a try at at a very low entry cost with a phone like a 840, 640XL, or something along those lines. Get in cheap, give it a try and then what is going to happen and if you want to stay. Then I ealized that if you jump in cheap like that and decide you are going to stay, by then you probably won't have any higher end phones to choose from unless you go used.

So, you can get a 950 for 300 bucks and a 950XL for 500, both from the MS store. You can buy a Alcatel 4S for less than 300 I believe if you are on T-Mobile. You can also still get a Lumia 1520 for arond 200 on Ebay and throw Windows 10 mobile on it and even get the creators update through the insider program. Or you could go way cheap with a 640 or 640XL and use that for the next 6-12 months until we have a better idea of what MS is doing. At least you do have some different options available to you if you want to give it a shot.
    libra89, fatclue_98, ven07 and 2 others like this.
    04-25-2017 06:30 PM
    This is a really tough question. I was actually going to say the opposite of @fatclue_98 and tell you that you could give it a try at at a very low entry cost with a phone like a 840, 640XL, or something along those lines. Get in cheap, give it a try and then what is going to happen and if you want to stay. Then I ealized that if you jump in cheap like that and decide you are going to stay, by then you probably won't have any higher end phones to choose from unless you go used.

So, you can get a 950 for 300 bucks and a 950XL for 500, both from the MS store. You can buy a Alcatel 4S for less than 300 I believe if you are on T-Mobile. You can also still get a Lumia 1520 for arond 200 on Ebay and throw Windows 10 mobile on it and even get the creators update through the insider program. Or you could go way cheap with a 640 or 640XL and use that for the next 6-12 months until we have a better idea of what MS is doing. At least you do have some different options available to you if you want to give it a shot.
    Remember that some apps like Facebook don't run on devices with less than 2GB of RAM. There are 950s available on Swappa and eBay for around $200 and the Idol 4S is brand new for under $300. Unless you're thoroughly familiar with W10M I wouldn't recommend going the cheap route.
    libra89, TgeekB, Guytronic and 2 others like this.
    04-25-2017 07:23 PM
    Planning to get an HP elite x3 would that be a good investment?
    04-26-2017 01:31 AM
    Planning to get an HP elite x3 would that be a good investment?
    Yes by all means.
    The X3 is a stellar mobile device.
    ven07, TgeekB and slivy58 like this.
    04-26-2017 02:16 AM
    Hello Guys! (Again :)

I am the original poster,

Thank you all for the swift responses. I never imagined going bottom end device, as you quite adequately put it, it wont be a true representation of the platform plus i need productivity. I have decided that I will for sure purchase a WP by this weekend and now I just need to choose between Lumia 950, 950XL or Hp X3.

A couple of comments to your replies. First off for the guy suggesting iPhone, ARE YOU SERIOUS? I had an iPhone wayyyyy back when 3GS was a thing, hated it, my girlfriend just moved from iPhone 7 to Pixel cant be happier, and I transformed her iMac into a MacWindows and she loves it! she is die-hard windows fan now, constantly saying how much she has been missing out on over the years(while being scammed thousands of $$ by Apple)! Plus i need a tool not a toy! So yeah.. HELL no to iPhone! Also the "app gap" its not a thing for me, and risking to repeat myself yet again, I dont think its so for most people, no one admits it though. Also take a look at the Android app market, MILLIONS of apps but truly and i mean TRULY how many are actually serious stuff?!? 25% maybe? mostly cheap knock off games and useless apps created with only one purpose, to generate advertisement revenue(exactly same goes for iPhone market too). Even Samsung is branching off with the "Galaxy Apps"

The Facebook comment! Holy molly! I cant even begin to explain how much i dont care about FB! Dont use it, haven't for years and never will. FB is disease that needs to be cured! but that is a personal opinion.

Any way, Thank you for the opinions guys! I am ready to jump in, I heard the water is just fine ;)

Regards

B.O.S

P.S Xamarin any one?
    04-26-2017 09:04 AM
    Welcome to the ship that doesn't exactly know where it's headed but is still sailing!

I am sure you did some research on the 950, 950 XL and the Elite x3, but still - deciding between the 950 and the 950 XL is basically just deciding between two sizes of the same phone, while the Elite x3 is more powerful device but sure is a lot more expensive.
    ven07, Guytronic, slivy58 and 2 others like this.
    04-26-2017 10:34 AM
    I LOVE Windows Mobile, but I wouldn't buy one now unless it's one that will be supported for a long time, like the Lumia 950 or the HP Elite x3. They are both a bit pricey, but they work well and have support for newer updates. However, if you want a consumer-grade phone, it's a waste of time., because MS is killing the lower models. I myself have an older model (the Lumia 640) which will lose support this fall, but not long before the legendary "Surface Phone" arrives. So to answer your question: Probably not now. If you need a phone right now for a low price, get an Android and install Microsoft apps like Cortana and Bing. If not, come on in! I'm sure you'll love Windows Mobile too :P
    ven07 likes this.
    04-26-2017 10:47 AM
    Remember that some apps like Facebook don't run on devices with less than 2GB of RAM.
    That's incorrect, at least as far as FB is concerned. I run both FB and FB Beta on my 640 with 1 GB RAM. It's buggy as hell, but I don't know that my experience is any different from anyone else's. I think it generally sucks no matter how much RAM you have.

The only limitation I've found is that the store won't allow me to post a review of the regular version because it says it's not supported on my device. But curiously, I can review the Beta version. And that's the one that I'm using regularly.
    senja1 likes this.
    04-26-2017 12:36 PM
    That's incorrect, at least as far as FB is concerned. I run both FB and FB Beta on my 640 with 1 GB RAM. It's buggy as hell, but I don't know that my experience is any different from anyone else's. I think it generally sucks no matter how much RAM you have.

The only limitation I've found is that the store won't allow me to post a review of the regular version because it says it's not supported on my device. But curiously, I can review the Beta version. And that's the one that I'm using regularly.
    You probably had the app before the changes were implemented. If something happened that you had to do a hard reset, you probably won't be able to download it again.

libra89 and slivy58 like this.
    04-26-2017 01:07 PM
    FB is disease that needs to be cured!
    Unfortunately it has proven resistant to even the strongest antibiotics. Symptoms include, but are not limited to: loss of time, invideous Social Engineering, fruitless comparison with others, Corporate "Friendships" (no, Monsanto is not really your friend - you are simply an advertising conduit and revenue stream for them {and who in the name of sanity needs to follow their local weathercaster???}), curated "News" designed more to placate than to inform, constant drain on your attention, obsessive compulsive behavior, loss of productivity, decreased physical and mental well being (look it up, many studies are available stretching back for years), an information overlord determining what is appropriate for you to see along with many other ailments...
    04-26-2017 01:48 PM
    I recently uninstalled Twitter from my Idol4s. Never had Facebook. Took a bit to get used to but loving it now and will never have those on my mobile devices again.
    I'm free!

Sent from my Alcatel Idol 4S
    fatclue_98, Guytronic and slivy58 like this.
    04-26-2017 03:24 PM
    I always had hope for the platform but at this point in time I would say no. I think that the platform will live on as actual windows 10 with the adaptive shell but the hardware requiring this new windows will be different. So you will likely just have minimal support on your phone.

If you want a cheap phone to play around with and get used to the interface etc... go for it. Just don't put money into a flagship. I don't think it's worth it at this point.
    04-26-2017 03:53 PM
    You probably had the app before the changes were implemented. If something happened that you had to do a hard reset, you probably won't be able to download it again.

I hard reset last weekend and updated to 15206. I didn't install the regular FB this time. This is from the Store literally 3 minutes ago.

senja1 likes this.
    04-26-2017 04:11 PM
    Good morning,
    You know what I say? Fluffing go for it. I think you'll love the intuitive and beautiful Windows 10 Mobile interface, and honestly Windows 10 Mobile does have a good suite of features in it now. No, it's not perfect, but the Creator Update is a polished, fluid affair that just flies on my Lumia 950 XL. It's a good OS, and if you're not into Android any more I say it might be a perfect fit for you.
    Now future support for the operating system is in the water. We're not sure if we're ever going to see another major feature update but you're at least going to get reliable and consistent bug and security updates until fall 2018 at the earliest even if Microsoft kills it tomorrow if you buy a recent phone, so you have that going for you. In my honest opinion, Windows 10 Mobile will continue to be updated (with features) for a while yet, but maybe that's just me being hopeful. Either way, with or without new features, Windows 10 Mobile is a good, reliable operating system right NOW.

As far as which phone to get, I honestly suggest a high end device. Don't bother with a low end phone. Yes they run great (better than comparable Android devices) but if you want to invest in the Windows 10 ecosystem and have a true productivity device, you need a flagship. To me, there are only really three to choose from. The Alcatel Idol 4s is a good phone (a pretty great one actually) but I honestly believe the Lumia 950, Lumia 950 XL, and HP Elite x3 do better jobs of representing the operating system and everything it's capable of. The Idol 4s is a powerful, beautiful phone but it's not receiving any love from Alcatel like firmware updates so I wouldn't trust it. The only differences between the Lumia 950 and 950 XL is the size and the XL is slightly more powerful. You really can't go wrong with either one. They really do have all the features. Removable batteries, microSD, wireless charging, physical camera buttons, OIS, beautiful displays, great performance. They're underrated phones and the Creator Update feels amazing on both my phones. My only suggestion is get a Mozo case for them as the plastic backs that come with the phones are a little cheap feeling. Now the Elite x3 is the powerhouse phone. It doesn't have the fancy camera of the 950's or the removable batteries but you get a fingerprint reader in addition to the 950's iris scanner, water and dust resistance, a more powerful processor and a bigger screen. That's the true productivity monster.

For camera and consumer friendliness: Lumia 950/XL
    For productivity and large size: x3

That's my rather long two cents.
    04-26-2017 06:58 PM
    Know any family/friends with a spare Windows phone you can take for a test drive. As others mentioned I'd opt for a phone native to W10M. Also, these days I'd recommend those on a higher scale such as the 950/XL, Elite X3, or Idol 4S. I'm sure better deals can be had on the 950 series though, if you are OK w/older but decent hardware that is.

At the end of the day, unless you physically try one out for size your self you'll never know whether it's for you. Whatever your decision happy trails.
    04-26-2017 07:59 PM
    If you are very much concerned with future updates I suggest you to wait till may 10-12 event of Microsoft but one thing I want to mention is OS is running very fine with rs2 and update doesn't matter because all uwp apps will be supported even in lower build like 14393.

And about Facebook. It was very much stable when Microsoft was developing the app but now Facebook itself is managing the app. It is lots more stable compared to previous version. It will take sometime to clear all the bugs.
    vishwas_prabhu likes this.
    04-26-2017 08:55 PM
    Hello guys!!

I have been using android for many years and lately i have noticed a severe dicline in quality and usability. I have been wanting to switch several times bow and since i just crushed the screen on my note 5, i am seriously thinking into investing in a WP10. I have been reading up a lot and cant seem to be able to filter the crap from the truth about the future of WP. I want to jump to the platfprm now via a used lumia or something else, so when surface phone comes out i will be fully enveloped inot the ecosystem. However is there a future windows phone? Should i switch or stay android?

Please advise, what is yiur perception of whats going on.

P.s app gap is NO issue for me, after so many years of android and its amazing app market i have realized, everyone (be honest with yourself) uses very few apps, and for the rest we go online any way! Not to mention that 99.9% of all apps are just portals! Furthermore I am IT pro and use MS everytging but phone.
    Yeah, I've used a lot of android. At first all the dinky little apps seem great, but you don't actually end up using very many. You will likely miss your banking app if you switch though. Might have to get used to phone banking if you want quick balances.

As for the future of windows 10 mobile....nobody knows. We know Microsoft hasn't given up on updates, we know they have future ambitions for portable devices, but we also know MS is intent on leapfrogging the competition with things like Cortana bots/conversation as a platform, augmented reality and so on.

The will likely replace windows 10 mobile, eventually with windows on arm. Because it can run more software, and that is one of their openly stated goals "an os, that is hardware independent but can run the same software across devices".

So there's no real promise that MS future plans are exactly "windows 10 mobile" or something related to it, and most people suspect they will probably be doing something else with mobile devices in the long run.

But for now, the OS is still getting updates. And if you get a windows 10 mobile you'll find it perfectly useable till you get your next phone no doubt. Another little bonus if you do, is Cortana bot intergration will be something you likely get to benefit from. After all, Cortana is on windows 10 mobile. When she gets that "app system" of skills available, I think there's good odds give win mob is still getting updates, they'll get that too.

It's really up to you. I myself can't bring myself to buy google or apple products any more. I don't like how they regard their customers. If I had to buy a new phone, I'd probably go windows 10 mobile. But no one but Microsoft knows exactly what they have up their sleeve.

They want to unify the platform, have it the same OS on more hardware. They want conversation as a platform. They want AR and VR. They want folding screens and "more natural ways of interacting with our computers", but the exact specifics of how and when those things roll out, is basically corporate secrecy until they are ready to release.

We ARE supposed to get Cortana bots, windows on arm, and windows cloud this year, and the may 6 event/build will have some reveals - so I expect some limited pulling back of the curtain then.

[b]If you can wait, and are worried, I'd probably wait till then (next month), for the spring event, and the build conference (about half way through may we should have many more details on MS plans).[]/b]

I mean if windows 10 mobile gets Cortana bots - doesn't really matter if they pull the plug, because that thing will stay fresh for awhile. Cortana bots will let your phone do WAY more than alexa, IF they come to the phone platform. As far as I am concerned that's better than apps.

In fact, even though I have _no need_ to replace my phone, if windows 10 mobile gets Cortana bot intergration, I may buy a windows 10 mobile phone.

Because they are expected to show off the new "Invoke" running Cortana, and because the app for invoke is well fleshed out people expect it'll be coming to market soon. That being the case, cortanas bot intergration must be very close, and it seems probable they'll make their plans/schedule more clear then.
    We are also expecting them to announce/show off, windows cloud. It'll be a big month for MS fans.

So if you are worried, and can wait - wait till mid may, see what all the new news is. Otherwise just go for it. If you are a MS user, and aren't fussed on android, you may as well try something else. Just see if you can get a steal price on something pretty new. It's not like you'll be paying flagship prices, like Samsung and apples aweful 800-1000!
    Last edited by Drael646464; 04-26-2017 at 11:40 PM.
    04-26-2017 11:18 PM
    Oh lastly, go for something with 2gb or more, or fairly recent. Like a 950, or 4s. Because some of the older ones are getting support dropped. I mean you can actually still upgrade them if you like, but likely easier to have a phone from the last year or two.

Even if mobile does get changes to windows on arm, with cshell, there's no way it'll be this year. Maybe next year, but atm, MS has other priorities. But that's less than certain by a long margin. And given you'll still be paying less than a flagship android/ios phone, it probably wouldn't bother you too much if, in two years, MS announces a 1000 dollar phone with new features.
    Last edited by Drael646464; 04-26-2017 at 11:42 PM.
    hippohumongous likes this.
    04-26-2017 11:20 PM
99 123 ...