I cant re-install my beloved Daily Mail app on my WP8.1 Lumia 520, the store says W10 only?

Fred P

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
Is there any way to restore a backup of my old apps?
I had to reset my phone to fix an issue, and the Daily Mail app which has been serving me fine for 2 years is now no longer available

The DM website is not browsable on my 520, its too heavy a site.

Is there any way of copying the binary executable off a donor 520 onto mine?

If I can t get this working, i too will be forced to leave the small flock of windows phone users to roam in the droid pastures on the other side of the fence.

thanks in advance for any suggestions
Fred

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
Is there any way to restore a backup of my old apps?
I had to reset my phone to fix an issue, and the Daily Mail app which has been serving me fine for 2 years is now no longer available

The DM website is not browsable on my 520, its too heavy a site.

Is there any way of copying the binary executable off a donor 520 onto mine?

If I can t get this working, i too will be forced to leave the small flock of windows phone users to roam in the droid pastures on the other side of the fence.

thanks in advance for any suggestions
Fred

When you go to the Store, and click on 'My Library', doesn't it show up? I've got a number of apps that are no longer available in the store but are still in my library, and when i do a reset, i can still re-install them...

Fred P

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
thanks , i found it in my library, but it still downloads the 'unusable' app (probably compiled for w10)

what i am looking for is the old WP8 app

Fred P

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
thanks for your suggestions darrel, the link does bring up the download page, but DM have updated the system requirements to W10 Mobile

Fred P

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
thanks Darrell for trying the re install, now i know the problem is with my phone, i am getting the "inquiring minds might find this error code helpful: 80073cf9"

besides soft reset,i checked that i turned on location services, checked the region is US, checked apps are installing to phone, not SD. to test i just installed other apps like twitter without probs.

Fred P

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
i ve tried adding & removing sd card storage, changing region, date/time, clearing temp storage, syncing ms account,installing other paid & free apps.

this is a lumia, so i am going to ask for other volunteers to try downloading the DM app on their WP8 lumia too to see if its lumia related. thanks

TurboTony

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
@Fred P

I've just downloaded the DM app on my Lumia 1020, which has WP8.1 and it works OK.
The version I have is 2016.525.1209.0. I'm in the UK.

Hope that is useful to you.

Fred P

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
thanks to both of you, much obliged.

i just downloaded the Metro UK newspaper app, it is also owned by Associated Newspapers like the DM.

i tried disabling location, auto datetime, changing sim cards

i am a bit hesitant to do a hard reset, as i am unsure if MS has pulled the plug on the servers which push the updates i will need to get it back to 8.1

TurboTony

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I thought that once it has been updated to 8.1, it also updates the recovery area so if you reset to factory defaults you'll still be on 8.1.
That is what happens on other platforms, why would MS do it differently?

Fred P

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
I resetted the phone, it came up as 8.1 denim, i managed to install DM, but a few of my apps where blank squares (app no longer available), and i dont know which apps they were, even in the 'my apps' list, they are marked no longer available.

so anyone resetting his phone is risking loosing an app if the vendor removed it.

TurboTony

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Its really not very helpful of MS to not give us any indication of what the deleted apps are.
I have over 140 apps and games installed on my 1020.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss