Windows Central = Bad Place for Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

MLXVI

Apr 29, 2017
Visit site
I came here looking for a advice when I wanted to buy a phone running Windows mobile. At first I was blown away by the amount of posts, comments, and articles declaring Windows 10 mobile to be dead. finished, over. Fortunately it didn't take me long to discover that nobody knows what they're talking about. There are no facts, no proof, no evidence. Just 100% pure speculation. And that is it. I can't say much more than that because there is nothing more to say on the issue. Every post you open on the topic (and there are plenty of them), and every article you read about the topic on the main page, is just 100% guess work with no proof given.

Hopefully we will hear some news tomorrow, and if not then nay bother. Here are the facts as they stand; I went ahead and bought a Lumia 950 XL, it has a great camera, great screen, it's fast, the browser is fantastic, it has most of the apps I need (I'd love a Memrise app), and get this, it is still receiving updates. They're the facts as of the 10th of May 2017 23:16hrs.

It's funny that this is a "fan" site yet it actually discourages people from joining the platform due to the relentless negativity. I think until we hear some clear news from an official reliable source, or, Windows mobile stops receiving updates, that people should give the subject a rest.

Nothing to see here.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
I came here looking for a advice when I wanted to buy a phone running Windows mobile. At first I was blown away by the amount of posts, comments, and articles declaring Windows 10 mobile to be dead. finished, over. Fortunately it didn't take me long to discover that nobody knows what they're talking about. There are no facts, no proof, no evidence. Just 100% pure speculation. And that is it. I can't say much more than that because there is nothing more to say on the issue. Every post you open on the topic (and there are plenty of them), and every article you read about the topic on the main page, is just 100% guess work with no proof given.

Hopefully we will hear some news tomorrow, and if not then nay bother. Here are the facts as they stand; I went ahead and bought a Lumia 950 XL, it has a great camera, great screen, it's fast, the browser is fantastic, it has most of the apps I need (I'd love a Memrise app), and get this, it is still receiving updates. They're the facts as of the 10th of May 2017 23:16hrs.

It's funny that this is a "fan" site yet it actually discourages people from joining the platform due to the relentless negativity. I think until we hear some clear news from an official reliable source, or, Windows mobile stops receiving updates, that people should give the subject a rest.

Nothing to see here.

First of all, congrats on your new phone! The 950 XL is an excellent device and sounds like it will fulfill your needs for quite a while. Let us know how its going.

As for the negativity, you are correct. While much of it stems from frustration of long time users, many do not realize the injustice they do to new members looking at the platform. I'm glad you were able to see through it and get the device you wanted. Now don't be a stranger, stay positive, and help bring new people to the platform.

Thanks for your post!

Sent from mTalk on my SP4

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I try to stay off the negative threads.
That stuff wears on everyone.

Point is...enjoy Windows Central for what it really is:
A good collection of members who try their level best to help anyone in a positive manner.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It's not that the advice is bad, it's that the situation is just not healthy. I cannot recommend Windows 10 Mobile to most people, but it's worked out just fine for you, so more power to you!

Also, you say that Windows 10 Mobile is still getting updates, and you're not wrong, but very little is being improved. iOS has had .1 releases with more improvements to be frank so just understand the negativity as a byproduct of the relative neglect, lack of communication, and creating excuses to abandon functioning hardware/doing the bare update minimum on Microsoft's part. There's no shortage of people looking for official word, but I think two-plus years of poor communication, token updates, "retrenching" and competitor promotions has said enough.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Congrats on the 950XL! I hope you enjoy its camera very well.

As for the community part, no point in repeating what was already said. I agree with most of the above responses.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site

Nothing to see here.

A lot of those people have limited experience with other platforms. They often don't for example how little updates android receives (I hear users say, my 3 year old phone doesn't get updates, I'm going to android, for example). For me the buzz of android wore off a long time ago.

iOS, well its actually a well conceived if limited platform, but the walled garden thing is pretty much as bad or worse versus googles ad/spyware. Both have lots of apps, but apples is better.

All the same, both have still yet to release hybrid OSes, they will need to, and when they do, they'll have the same kind of app/teething issues as windows has had. Android apps don't work well on a desktop, and ios and osx systems are wildly different and don't scale to each other.

Windows on smaller devices may be nascent, but its the vision/model I trust more.

It's also totally understandable that MS has deprioritised mobile, and is working on android/apple apps. It has groundwork that is absolutely vital to lay, before it can go all on a mobile playform, and in the meantime, users are out there on others. They still give it some love, and I'm cool with that.

Cortana skills are going to be SICK, on a mobile :)

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to the 950XL club.. enjoy your phone. The negativity, nay sayers & doom mongers??.... just damn the torpedos!!

... !!

MLXVI

Apr 29, 2017
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. I neglected to mention in my post that there are plenty of rational people and it was because of them and their excellent and informative posts that I ended up making a good purchase.

I think the editors at Windows Central write negative stuff because it's clickbait basically. Negative news always wins over positive news when it comes to public interest. That's just the way it is. As for the doomsayers on the forum, I don't know what their motivation is, or why, if they believe it's actually dead, they even bother posting. If I bought a phone that stopped working I'd throw it out, forget about it, and get a new one, I wouldn't go on a forum to talk about it being "dead". Strange people online.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
As for the doomsayers on the forum, I don't know what their motivation is, or why, if they believe it's actually dead, they even bother posting. If I bought a phone that stopped working I'd throw it out, forget about it, and get a new one, I wouldn't go on a forum to talk about it being "dead". Strange people online.

Certainly its one thing to say "this product doesn't work well, or it doesn't do what I want it to, I'd like a refund'. Or to describe deep and complex frustrations. And another entirely to tell a long story of quite minor disappointments, to everyone you can.

Somewhere in the culture of internet critics and negativity, I believe exists a deep unhappiness.

I too find it very strange. When I left google services and products, I never logged onto to an android forum and told them how much I didn't like it. I'll level my criticisms, but I don't go out of my way to make it sound like I need anti-depressants for my traumatic experiences with a phone :p

mattiasnyc

Nov 20, 2016
Visit site
I think the editors at Windows Central write negative stuff because it's clickbait basically. Negative news always wins over positive news when it comes to public interest. That's just the way it is.

Exactly.

This is also why I'll probably try to find a different forum to talk about Windows 10 Mobile. The editors here can have their negativity-fest all they want, but I am reluctant to help them make money just because a minority of posters are rational.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
As someone that is currently using a BlackBerry PassPort despite having an Android phone, I wouldn't dare tell anyone what device to use. That said, users would be doing potential customers a disservice if they didn't note the reality of Windows phone. The reality (at least judging from Microsoft's actions) is that Windows phone is on the back burner. Apps are disappearing. New features are slow to come out. No new devices are scheduled for release. And sales have all but dried up. So if someone comes asking if Phone X is a good buy for the next 2-3 years, the answer may be negative, but it's best that no one sugarcoats what's happening with Windows phone.

Though I generally agree that many posters have a tendency to spread their negativity further than it needs to go.

mattiasnyc

Nov 20, 2016
Visit site
No new devices are scheduled for release. And sales have all but dried up.

Thanks for proving the OP right. Didn't we see at least three companies declare they'd put out new Windows 10 phones? A British one, a German one and an Asian one? And on top of that a shown HP X3 version 2 that may or may not happen, plus Cerulean which only needs customer support (the one you and the owners are effectively helping to destroy)....

And didn't we see year-over-year increase in sales in England?

So there you have it: You guys spread misinformation, and your negativity sells clicks.

Just own up to it.

MLXVI

Apr 29, 2017
Visit site
Originally posted by HeyCori
As someone that is currently using a BlackBerry PassPort despite having an Android phone, I wouldn't dare tell anyone what device to use. That said, users would be doing potential customers a disservice if they didn't note the reality of Windows phone. The reality (at least judging from Microsoft's actions) is that Windows phone is on the back burner. Apps are disappearing. New features are slow to come out. No new devices are scheduled for release. And sales have all but dried up. So if someone comes asking if Phone X is a good buy for the next 2-3 years, the answer may be negative, but it's best that no one sugarcoats what's happening with Windows phone.

Though I generally agree that many posters have a tendency to spread their negativity further than it needs to go.

The problem is people seem to be struggling to discern between their opinions and the facts. "Windows mobile is dead"; this, as of right now, is an opinion. The writers at Windows Central, and the forum users, need to realise that. And, if they believe their opinion to be true regardless of the absence of any confirmation, then they need to move on. I completely agree with what Drael646464 said. It's weird.

I would recommend Windows mobile to people who would like to invest in the Windows ecosystem which in my opinion has a bright future. For example I have UWP apps I've paid for and movies I can only watch with MS's film app. If people want to invest in the ecosystem, and they want a phone they can use with that ecosystem, then I would recommend it. I would also recommend the 950 XL for the camera.

As for the future of Windows mobile, of course, like all things, one day it will die. All tech becomes obsolete with time and it will come to Windows mobile. I think however that MS has no choice but to compete in the mobile business. Even if that means just being present for the time being. Mobile tech is the future. The mobile phone market is extremely important and MS needs to be a competitor in that market in some form or another. It looks like MS are heading for a device that acts as an all-in-one, that includes acting as a desktop, tablet and phone. Although I can't confirm it, I think people using Windows mobile today are guinea pigs for this future product. So, if one doesn't mind being a beta-tester on a great platform then I would recommend a Windows mobile.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for proving the OP right. Didn't we see at least three companies declare they'd put out new Windows 10 phones? A British one, a German one and an Asian one? And on top of that a shown HP X3 version 2 that may or may not happen, plus Cerulean which only needs customer support (the one you and the owners are effectively helping to destroy)....

And didn't we see year-over-year increase in sales in England?

So there you have it: You guys spread misinformation, and your negativity sells clicks.

Just own up to it.

Tell you what; go look at what global market share was 4 years ago and compare it to now. Go ahead. Go look. Tell me if that looks like a thriving market to you. Tell all of us if sales are better or worse than before. Tell everyone that the extremely small uptick overseas is any indication of Windows phone succeeding. Since you're so worried about misinformation, go ahead, pull out the numbers. Show everyone why they shouldn't be worried about the future of Windows phone. No, don't just show. PROVE to everyone why there's no need for concern.

And my negativity sells clicks? Am I getting paid for this? I better contact Mobile Nations about what happened to my paychecks.

kaktus1389

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
Congrats on your new phone!

While it's true (as already mentioned in the posts above) that the negativity might mostly come from frustrated users, it also comes from people who are just trying to be realistic - I consider myself a Windows fan, I own a Windows 10 2-in-1, Windows 10 desktop and a Lumia 950 and all reasons that make Windows 10 Mobile superior to Android and iOS are simplicity, security and (not for all devices) Continuum (even though Samsung Dex seems to be more polished on the S8). If you don't benefit from/don't care for any of those (which the most people don't or don't think security is much better than on Android) then I can't see why would you pick Windows 10 Mobile.

Travis Flenker

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
The problem is people seem to be struggling to discern between their opinions and the facts. "Windows mobile is dead"; this, as of right now, is an opinion. The writers at Windows Central, and the forum users, need to realise that. And, if they believe their opinion to be true regardless of the absence of any confirmation, then they need to move on. I completely agree with what Drael646464 said. It's weird.

By the same token, "Windows mobile isn't dead" is an opinion. Outside the "updates" (more accurately described as fixes) that are being pushed to W10M, MS hasn't said anything in a long time regarding the platform. No mention of them at the edu event nor at build. Satya recently said "I’m sure we’ll make more phones. But they may not look like phones that are there today." If that your glasses are so heavily rose colored that you see that as a positive regarding W10M, then yes, W10M is alive and thriving.

That said, the 950/XL are great phones and if they do what you need and you like them, then awesome. Continuum is great; use it if you get the opportunity.

Do not expect as many updates or continued app support, and definitely don't count on many new apps or a lot more functionality coming to the phones.

I think most of the negativity around here isn't due to the phones or OS being bad - it's coming more from frustration of not getting any information about the platform and the feeling that the OS is so close to being truly fantastic but MS refused to actually commit to it. MS asked their fans for patience, and those that gave it to them are wondering why.

mattiasnyc

Nov 20, 2016
Visit site
Tell you what; go look at what global market share was 4 years ago and compare it to now. Go ahead. Go look. Tell me if that looks like a thriving market to you. Tell all of us if sales are better or worse than before. Tell everyone that the extremely small uptick overseas is any indication of Windows phone succeeding. Since you're so worried about misinformation, go ahead, pull out the numbers. Show everyone why they shouldn't be worried about the future of Windows phone. No, don't just show. PROVE to everyone why there's no need for concern.

Right. So basically it doesn't matter that what you actually say isn't true, what matters is the story you're trying to tell. Facts are irrelevant.

And when someone points out that you're wrong you move the goalpost to suit the story.

I'd call that "weak", but it seems as an understatement.

Sedp23

May 6, 2015
Visit site
The app ecosystem is dead. Apps are being pulled from the store, we have a outdated version of facebook and messenger from 2014. There's Bluetooth bugs that have been around forever and never corrected, and no new phones yet this year the 950 XL came out roughly 2 years ago now

Sent from Idol 4s

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa