05-21-2017 10:03 AM
78 ... 234
tools
    Andromeda is supposedly a desktop OS based on Android.

Search engines use machine learning. Many of the Azure Cognitive services come from Bing. In its current form, machine learning works well in very narrow domains. A system capable of answering open questions on many subjects is a dream of a distant future, maybe 10-20 years?

Apple targets the high-end segment. Google and Microsoft compete for the less profitable segments. However, new players can emerge with big technological changes.
    You know IBM's Watson? Apple has a partnership with IBM, to use Watson in their OS. They also purchased a machine learning algrorythmn that catergorizes and sorts "dark data". So combine the worlds best jeopardy AI, with a software that sorts the internet into file folders.

The intersection of those two technologies appears to me, to be "an oracle" - an AI capable of accurate single answers based on content rather than web signals. I think apple is making a google search competitor, possibly in the form of siri.

Apple also has a rumoured AR project. Probably something like an apple HoloLens.

If google's IO 2017, google is squarely re-aiming at AI also. They said "Ai first". they are building a machine learning server farm for future services.

I think the rise of VR couldn't be better news for a company like MSFT, who across console and PC possesses 60 percent of the gaming market, 85+ of the "pc" market, and via which, higher quality static machine experiences may experience a comeback. If MSFT plays their cards right, they'll be right at the centre of the new hype cashcow.

Gearing their whole OS towards that, and being ahead of that game, shows they have been thinking this way for awhile. Smart.

And I think that's why has google focused on AI.

I mean basically there are two new techs, machine learning/IoT (which are somewhat connected) and VR. It makes sense to pick a lane now, for a company with no presence in PC or console, and no software ecosystem on powerful machines.

I mean daydream is a fun entry point of course to VR, but obviously like say mobile games versus a full gaming rig playing AAA's, its not where the money generally is. It's essentially like apple versus android phones - the all in one, or phone based VR is the low margin, low profit end. It's just not a good bet, going all in on VR/AR for google. AI is also the area they have more experience, and IoT is an area where they can expand into.

Of course all these battles are just getting started. MS has its own play for smarthomes, and machine learning. Honestly I don't think long term, amazon stands a chance. I think they are the 'palm pilot' of smart home hubs/assistants.
    Last edited by Drael646464; 05-19-2017 at 09:14 PM.
    05-19-2017 09:03 PM
    You know IBM's Watson? Apple has a partnership with IBM, to use Watson in their OS. They also purchased a machine learning algrorythmn that catergorizes and sorts "dark data". So combine the worlds best jeopardy AI, with a software that sorts the internet into file folders.

The intersection of those two technologies appears to me, to be "an oracle" - an AI capable of accurate single answers based on content rather than web signals. I think apple is making a google search competitor, possibly in the form of siri.
    A Jeopardy player maps a phrase to a concept. That's a very specific type of question, not very useful in real life. Watson doesn't understand much about the world.

Who would have predicted that Amazon would dominate the cloud business which is primarily an enterprise market? The future is hard to predict.
    05-20-2017 11:13 AM
    A Jeopardy player maps a phrase to a concept. That's a very specific type of question, not very useful in real life. Watson doesn't understand much about the world.

Who would have predicted that Amazon would dominate the cloud business which is primarily an enterprise market? The future is hard to predict.
    That's where their dark data organiser would come in - organising unclassified internet data, into labelled and tagged catergories or "concepts". Enter Watson, you have a way to match phrases to the internet. Ie a machine learning based search engine.

Ie

Phrase -> Concept -> Dark data (the internet)

Maybe they have another application for that, but the most obvious application for organising dark data is the internet.

Personally if I were the worlds highest grossing tech company, I'd be looking to oust google, not MSFT. Google has been searching the web for years based on web page age, likes, keyword density and all sorts of arcanary.

A machine learning replacement will surely come for someone eventually, something that can actually match question or phrase to content. Ideally, for other companies, that would be someone other than google (although google is pretty wise in AI-fu)

I guess we'll see. I have my crazy suspicions when I hear of purchases and secret projects.

Like facebooks secret massive investment in VR (not the occulus, but the thing FB has a load of staff quietly working on). I think its a massively multi-person chatworld, like bars and clubs and parks and such where people can talk online. The VR equivilant of chatrooms. But more like an open world, like GTA without the guns. Like one of those "second life" type things, but actually good.

I guess I'd like to be right though. Perhaps what they are both working on is way more boring.

Tech world is hard to predict. Who'd have guessed that the makers of the brightly coloured imac would ever make as much money as they have? Or than IBM would end up making cognitive software, neural cpus and console chips as primary business. Or that nokia would end up a bit player in the budget android market.

Its like a pool of fighting fish. Any one of them comes up with a bright new idea that sells, and it can change the game.
    Last edited by Drael646464; 05-21-2017 at 10:16 AM.
    05-21-2017 10:03 AM
78 ... 234