After 3 days with S8+ I am beginning to miss my 950xl

buzzard75

Sep 18, 2014
Visit site
If this is your first foray into the Android world it can be a bit daunting. The same could be said for a switch to any new OS. It will take some time to work through all the differences and nuances of the Android system and to get your phone setup the way you want it, if you're not familiar with the OS. I came to Windows phone from Android and had similar problems going the other direction. Windows was an entirely new phone OS for me. I'm also on Verizon and will say that the carrier contact backup is a really nice feature and takes a lot of the work and concern out of switching to a new phone or a new OS.

After being on Windows for over three years now and given the current state, I'll probably be switching back to Android soon. I maintained a Gmail account as my main email address so all my calendar and contact details are maintained in Google rather than Live, but they're also backed up in Verizon's database. Being familiar with Android and maintaining that Google account, I imagine my transition back will probably be a little bit smoother and getting setup will just be a matter of downloading new apps, adding accounts, and setting up notifications.

JayLiz

Jun 9, 2017
Visit site
I'm currently using an S8 too - was very excited when I first got it and although I like Samsung phones, I'm going back to Windows Phones. I previously had a Lumia 640 and loved it: I'm hoping to get my new phone next week. I really don't like iPhones so then tried Android but looking forward to having another Lumia. I have a Live (Windows) account/email as well and have kept my contacts updated on both so I'm hoping the switch will go smoothly!

Kot Prada

Nov 5, 2016
Visit site
Here would be my response to anyone switching from one OS to another - give it plenty of time. If you are used to W10M, it is going to take you a lot less time to setup things than on Android.

Oh, and please don't root your phone. There is no real reason to put your phone at risk (possible bricking and security issues) when you aren't extremely comfortable with using the OS and how it works.

Not sure about Your device: I've switched form BlackBerry 10 (Z10) to 950 XL and got used to it in a day (the device had been set up in less than an hour... the rest time I needed only to get used to it).

If the "new" system needs days or months to get used to it... then You shouldn't switch to that "new" system at all.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Not sure about Your device: I've switched form BlackBerry 10 (Z10) to 950 XL and got used to it in a day (the device had been set up in less than an hour... the rest time I needed only to get used to it).

If the "new" system needs days or months to get used to it... then You shouldn't switch to that "new" system at all.

I think "getting used to" includes habits you have formed using a system, not just knowing basic functions. We like things because we are used to them, they make sense. Therefore, it takes time if you change those habits. I believe its good advice for people to give change time.

Sent from mTalk on my SP4

Last edited:

Kot Prada

Nov 5, 2016
Visit site
I think "getting used to" includes habits you have formed using a system, not just knowing basic functions. We like things because we are used to them, they make sense. Therefore, it takes time if you change those habits. I believe its good advice for people to give change time.

I agree about habits. But the modern device has to get used to You, not You to device. If the device is good, it feels natural and familiar for You from first minutes (I know, sound a bit "Jobs-style"... but I don't like Apple).

In Your meaning of "getting used to" You can get used to literally anything... different will be only time needed for that.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
I agree about habits. But the modern device has to get used to You, not You to device. If the device is good, it feels natural and familiar for You from first minutes (I know, sound a bit "Jobs-style"... but I don't like Apple).

In Your meaning of "getting used to" You can get used to literally anything... different will be only time needed for that.

That's an interesting concept, that our devices have to get used to us not the other way around. Could you expand on that with more detail?

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site

I use to think that way myself. And so I boiled it down to three things for me. Camera, keyboard, and carrier enhanced services. Switching back and forth so much I have learned what really counts for Me.

If I switch to between an android W10M or iOS device I find those three items I reliably find can be pet-peevish for me.

We all should know who performs in the camera department by now on all platforms. 950s are performers there. Andoid and W10M can be finicky though in the camera dept. depending I guess. iPhone cameras will always be great.

I have not found an android keyboard layout yet that works for me and I don't want to spend hours trying to get that one down. The W10M keyboard is simplistic verbose and just works great on my 950 xl. The iPhone kb is a good one too. But iOS has its limitations.

Carrier enhanced services I have working on my 950xl so I'm at home for now. Right now the 950 xl is nailing all the three of these areas that I find enhance my mobile experience.

Androids have lots of different flavors to chose from hw and sw. iOS iPhones are more limited by their own OS then even Windows phones... so for now I'm enjoying my 950 xl too. I also own an idold4s that I switch back and forth with.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
I use to think that way myself. And so I boiled it down to three things for me. Camera, keyboard, and carrier enhanced services. Switching back and forth so much I have learned what really counts for Me.

If I switch to between an android W10M or iOS device I find those three items I reliably find can be pet-peevish for me.

We all should know who performs in the camera department by now on all platforms. 950s are performers there. Andoid and W10M can be finicky though in the camera dept. depending I guess. iPhone cameras will always be great.

I have not found an android keyboard layout yet that works for me and I don't want to spend hours trying to get that one down. The W10M keyboard is simplistic verbose and just works great on my 950 xl. The iPhone kb is a good one too. But iOS has its limitations.

Carrier enhanced services I have working on my 950xl so I'm at home for now. Right now the 950 xl is nailing all the three of these areas that I find enhance my mobile experience.

Androids have lots of different flavors to chose from hw and sw. iOS iPhones are more limited by their own OS then even Windows phones... so for now I'm enjoying my 950 xl too. I also own an idold4s that I switch back and forth with.

They certainly all have their advantages and each person has to see which one fits their needs most.
For instance, right now I'm enjoying some new smart devices I can control with my iPhone. A dimmable light, a smart plug, and a thermostat. While still a bit bare bones, its fun to play around with and see where we're headed.
While ios is limited in some ways (customization) it leads in technological advancements.

Last edited:

Kot Prada

Nov 5, 2016
Visit site
They certainly all have their advantages and each person has to see which one fits their needs most.
For instance, right now I'm enjoying some new smart devices I can control with my iPhone. A dimmable light, a smart plug, and a thermostat. While still a bit bare bones, its fun to play around with and see where we're headed.
While ios is limited in some ways (customization) it leads in technological advancements.

You do not have even regular functions which are available on Nokia 6230, but care about controlling dimmable light, smart plug and thermostat? Seems like usual Apple user :)

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
You do not have even regular functions which are available on Nokia 6230, but care about controlling dimmable light, smart plug and thermostat? Seems like usual Apple user :)

You should chose a phone that does what you need, right? What basic functions can't I do?
BTW, I also own an Idol4s and Lumia 640. I'm far from typical.

Last edited:

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I've been using a S8+ for a few days now and it's every bit the flagship it's supposed to be. It's not without issues though. Bluetooth range is +/- 10' and Samsung knows it but it's not fixed yet.

Aside from that, everything else is Android-related and not the phone itself. I can't get used to the 18:9 aspect ratio but that's on me, not the OS or the device. I can safely say the camera's as good, if not better, than the 950 series. Definitely better in the dark. Ever since Cobalt (Crackberry user) put up the patched BlackBerry Manager for all Androids, contacts syncing has ceased to be an issue on Androids. I use the BlackBerry Hub for email, contacts and calendars exclusively, bypassing Google or any other method. Facebook and LinkedIn contact integration is seamless as if it were on my PC.

Rooting is a no-go on this device not just because of Knox, the bootloader can't be unlocked and there's no recovery available for it.

buffalosolja

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
I've been using a S8+ for a few days now and it's every bit the flagship it's supposed to be. It's not without issues though. Bluetooth range is +/- 10' and Samsung knows it but it's not fixed yet.

Aside from that, everything else is Android-related and not the phone itself. I can't get used to the 18:9 aspect ratio but that's on me, not the OS or the device. I can safely say the camera's as good, if not better, than the 950 series. Definitely better in the dark. Ever since Cobalt (Crackberry user) put up the patched BlackBerry Manager for all Androids, contacts syncing has ceased to be an issue on Androids. I use the BlackBerry Hub for email, contacts and calendars exclusively, bypassing Google or any other method. Facebook and LinkedIn contact integration is seamless as if it were on my PC.

Rooting is a no-go on this device not just because of Knox, the bootloader can't be unlocked and there's no recovery available for it.
Blackberry hmmmm good point I will look into that. But again out of box basic items like this should work. Thanks and yes bluetooth is horrid.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Blackberry hmmmm good point I will look into that. But again out of box basic items like this should work. Thanks and yes bluetooth is horrid.
You mean out of the box items like Bixby? Talk about the button to nowhere. At least if we could remap it for camera shutter or to launch a specific app, but noooooo!

PerfectReign

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
I have not found an android keyboard layout yet that works for me and I don't want to spend hours trying to get that one down. The W10M keyboard is simplistic verbose and just works great on my 950 xl.

You may want to try the Microsoft Hub keyboard. Similar to that on WM10 and similar to word flow I'm using on my Iphone.

d738af314bac49e9e4225546efcd7d4e.jpg

Also give the arrow launcher a try. Best launcher I've seen since starting with Android on a HTC MyTouch 3G phone using Eclair.

3883b3868195e34d55abea3e719c2154.png

Last edited:

KomakhidzeJaba

Jun 6, 2017
Visit site
W10M is better simple and very cool , if here would be more apps and quality of apps get better I'd never leave it , I'm with .y lumia phone till MS will support W10M

JetFixxxer

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
The S8 is a steaming unreliable pile of crap!!!! I haven't had so many hard restarts or just plan reboots with my Icon even on insider builds. Just received a phone call and it locked up my phone tighter than a bullfrogs a**.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos