After 3 days with S8+ I am beginning to miss my 950xl

buffalosolja

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
My trial/switch to Android was simply because of application possibilities for home monitoring really as my wife is really interested in security system.

I will tell you the hardware on S8+ is pretty nice but the Android setup and other items has been a nightmare for me I had to reach out on XDA for assistance.

I have been really busy since getting the phone with work and coaching so that maybe the reason.

Things I have noticed (apps aside as that is a given):

• Setup - It took me almost 3 days to get all my contacts correct on my phone. That is with using the default account cloud setting. Outlook for Android (removed but may reinstall). And ATT mobile transfer..

My experience with Windows phone was 5 minutes and I am good. Android 30min and I am still working on setting up.

Windows phone all my shared calendars work out of box once setup (2 live accounts, 1 gmail account, 1 exchange). I cannot for the life of me get the default calendar app to work in this fashion.
  • Out of box - feel like items and content out of box feel a bit more premium than any of my past windows phone devices. And reminds me of the old windows mobile days getting everything you need in the box.
  • Too much crap - my goodness I was use to a clean notification center but I get alert after alert after alert. My fitbit does communicate better but everything else is a notification nightmare coming from WP.
  • Bluetooth - I remember seeing so many threads of people complaining about WP bluetooth in car. Well the S8+ is horrid in my car (2014 Dodge Ram). Transfer to phone from bluetooth hangs call up now. Clarity is either hit or miss on call and even my kids are like dad that sounds terrible.

As soon as windows phone pics up more app support I will dump this device or UWP and arm comes along. But for now I will learn a bit. As my connected devices fitbit, and jaybird, UE boom all work better with more functionality than before. If I can get my calendar working I will be ok. I am using the MS launcher I believe it is Arrow and other MS items but really missing my 950xl.

This will be a good experience for me I haven't been empathetic enough to my wife with her android struggles with our family live calendars. And Windows Phone picks up the momentum I think it will (The Citrix receiver is big for me in my role as and System Architect) I will come running back.

PS. majority of my friends/peers either clapped or were completely shocked when they saw my device honestly. But I am just leasing Android for a vacation but my home is with Windows.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
Good read. I understand where you're coming from, and I'm glad you're keeping an open mind both about the current state of Android on your S8 (arguably the current hallmark of Android phones) and the future of Windows on phones.

Josiah23

Mar 25, 2015
Visit site
I checked out your link,what does"root" mean? Excuse my ignorance please

Root/Rooting is the ability to have complete access to everything in your Android phone with no limitations. (Basically like "Jailbreak" from iOS devices)

You can install apps that aren't available on non rooted phones, such as apps to overclock/underclock your devices CPU, or apps that can save you tremendous amounts of battery life.

Some users with root access install custom OSs and Kernels to have even better battery life and more customizability with their device.

This although does void any warranty you have with your carrier but to me it's definitely worth it, since there are ways to reverse this process.

It is usually done with a few special apps found outside of the App Store or connecting your phone to a PC and using software from there.

Last edited:

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for your observations. It is only half green no matter which fence you hop. W10M is the cleanest, simplest, just works and keeps on ticking kinda OS, but we have no more than a handful of phones to pick and choose from to show for it. The flipside or vice versa can be said bout Android hw/OS.

editguy

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
Interesting. I had someone let me use a new Android phone for the past three days. I had played with Android a little before because other family members use it. I liked the phone, but I really dislike the OS. In spite of the things that are lacking in Windows mobile, it reaffirmed that I have no desire to leave unless I'm someday forced to (and I recognize that is a possibility). I would be forced to Android because with iOS you have an even more limited choice of phones than we currently do. I'm here until the end.
Oh, and your mention of Bluetooth. I recently acquired a Garmin Vivosmart HR and even though it has some connection problems with my Idol 4S, I couldn't get it to connect with Android at all. I tried it on another Android phone and no luck there either. It just goes to remind that all electronics and software have some issues.

dov1978

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
The Galaxy s8/s8 Plus has well documented bluetooth issues and Samsung are rolling out a fix from now. I had awful bluetooth range on mine and my smartwatches would always drop connection if I left my phone in another room. Apart from that it was a great phone. I traded mine for the LG G6 which is also great but I'm still picking up the 950xl more and more. I usually get frustrated after a month or so on Windows phones and jump back to iPhone or Android for the missing apps or features but something is different this time. Since buying my 950xl I've also owned 2 iPhone 7 Plus', Galaxy s8 Plus and the LG G6 but after a few weeks I keep getting drawn back to the Lumia. Seriously considering turning 180 degrees and making my 950xl my daily driver again and using the G6 as my work phone as even with a few missing apps and it's little annoyances, it still just works for me. Never had a phone that I can't live with and can't live without

Last edited:

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Here would be my response to anyone switching from one OS to another - give it plenty of time. If you are used to W10M, it is going to take you a lot less time to setup things than on Android.

Oh, and please don't root your phone. There is no real reason to put your phone at risk (possible bricking and security issues) when you aren't extremely comfortable with using the OS and how it works.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
While you can switch off notifications in android, doing so, often feels like labelling and unsubscribing to spam in an email inbox. I feel you there. Waaaay to many notifications.

JetFixxxer

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
When I left Android and moved over to a Windows phone it was the best decision I made. Then it started not looking good for W10M. Plus being on Verizon didn't help out the situation.

My Icon started to go south on me and I ended up back on Android and I also went with the S8. I like the phone and what I can do with the S8, but it's not as reliable as my Icon even on the Fast Ring. The camera on the Icon is better IMHO. I just like W10M much better and will go back to W10M if new hardware is introduced and it's on Verizon.

I can't stand the bloatware and notifications up the wazoo. Android is a lot more intrusive.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Samsung uses its proprietary KNOX system. If you trip that, then forget about it...anything corporate or needing that checked will not work.

buffalosolja

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the input guys nice hardware but software is geez. I find that it doesn't save my new contacts to live for some reason. I will say I love the WP community I have had to pose questions on XDA and android central but WP people are the most responsive.

My new problem is saving contacts (https://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s8+/help/adding-contacts-details-disappear-live-t3617853)

I linked XDA because didn't want to type issue. I will say only thing keeping me on this device is the price I got it, and the fact that I get my bodybuilding.com app (I am trying to work on bettering myself for my family), and the Samsung Pay with my goodness I wish MS would just partner with Samsung to get this functionality.

I still miss my dang 950xl but whenever I play with it is acting like it is mad at me lol. I am eagerly awaiting more from MS but when I use a product I go all in probably about to get the Gear S3 (because my blaze doesn't look fashionable with my office attire), and the 360 camera.

When MS comes out with their new stuff I will be all on it.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the input guys nice hardware but software is geez. I find that it doesn't save my new contacts to live for some reason.

I've experienced nothing but struggles trying to sync my Alcatel OneTouch Idol 3 (Android 6) with my Live contacts. Every contact I've saved using my phone has mysteriously vanished into the aether. I'd then have to track their info down and try again. Eventually I gave up the fight and now I create all my contacts through Live.com, that way they're guaranteed to not vanish and will eventually sync with my phone without any trouble. I guess you could do the same using the People app on Windows in case you'd prefer that over the website.

vhl71

Nov 10, 2015
Visit site
Same here

Since moved to Lumia 950 from BB10, I've always played with pretty much every android phone out there only to sell them and come back to my Lumia. Recent tries include Xperia X performance, google pixel and Galaxy S7. All are great devices but cannot stand android. So end up coming back to W10M.

Blackberry dtek50 and 60 have some neat android add-ons such as BBhub etc. But still its android. So after a month sold it.

Sent from mTalk

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss