Next big thing in phones?

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
IMO:
Smartphones are done as far as design/features.

A new type of interface between user and device will be next I believe.

Technology in a slab is getting boring.
Of the platforms available for purchase right now they are essentially all the same.
Phone manufacturers tout or market their devices as some sort of breakthrough.

Face it...smartphones are stuck to the ceiling and won't bring forth anything that causes us all to faint.
The industry has finally stalled which is why Microsoft has backed away.

That's more or less what I said, and I agree.

They may try and sell us AR features, or dual cameras, microphone arrays and the like, but yeah, generally its done. Until someone invents something actually innovative at least.

IDK why "near touch", camera gestures, stylus and voice control haven't received more focus. Input methods could still come a long way.

faisalbaba

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
That's more or less what I said, and I agree.

They may try and sell us AR features, or dual cameras, microphone arrays and the like, but yeah, generally its done. Until someone invents something actually innovative at least.

IDK why "near touch", camera gestures, stylus and voice control haven't received more focus. Input methods could still come a long way.
We have to wait which company will bring something new in phone.

Sent from (IOK)

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
IMO:
Smartphones are done as far as design/features.

A new type of interface between user and device will be next I believe.

Technology in a slab is getting boring.
Of the platforms available for purchase right now they are essentially all the same.
Phone manufacturers tout or market their devices as some sort of breakthrough.

Face it...smartphones are stuck to the ceiling and won't bring forth anything that causes us all to faint.
The industry has finally stalled which is why Microsoft has backed away.

I'm not going to disagree with you, I'm all for innovation and new ways of doing things.

The thing here is that if you can perceive a way of doing on the go personal computing that's easy to use, easy to carry, not fussy and 'does what you want' and not end up with a rectangular slab with a glass front I'd be surprised. People like simplicity. Anything that comes out that's not easy disappears off the market quickly.

I'm reminded of some things I've heard about how we perceive things and the gradual way in which things come in makes us not realise what we have.

I've lived through the times where computers, internet and mobile technology have all come in gradually into our lives. Though I've become comfortable with all this tech and use it daily, I have my moments when I think, wow... this is amazing.

We don't appreciate what we have and that's sad. We get 'bored' easily. We think there's always something better around the corner. Why not step back and realise the world you're living in is amazing and was basically science fiction not too long ago.

We are living in that world that people dreamed about in the 50/60's we just don't appreciate it.

karelj

May 7, 2009
Visit site
"I've lived through the times where computers, internet and mobile technology have all come in gradually into our lives. Though I've become comfortable with all this tech and use it daily, I have my moments when I think, wow... this is amazing."

Kinda the same here, but now I just think "I wish this **** would work better!"
MSFT's focus on making mobile the same experience as that of your desktop is fraught with peril. I prefer my phone to be a 'go between' device..as in I can use it in a pinch, but not as a replacement for my PC. I want a mobile OS not a hand held PC because the UX/UI to really make a handheld PC a seamless experience is still in the dream/planning stage. Nothing I have seen from anyone - and this includes MSFT's Fluent Design - comes close.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
I'm not going to disagree with you, I'm all for innovation and new ways of doing things.

The thing here is that if you can perceive a way of doing on the go personal computing that's easy to use, easy to carry, not fussy and 'does what you want' and not end up with a rectangular slab with a glass front I'd be surprised. People like simplicity. Anything that comes out that's not easy disappears off the market quickly.

I'm reminded of some things I've heard about how we perceive things and the gradual way in which things come in makes us not realise what we have.

I've lived through the times where computers, internet and mobile technology have all come in gradually into our lives. Though I've become comfortable with all this tech and use it daily, I have my moments when I think, wow... this is amazing.

We don't appreciate what we have and that's sad. We get 'bored' easily. We think there's always something better around the corner. Why not step back and realise the world you're living in is amazing and was basically science fiction not too long ago.

We are living in that world that people dreamed about in the 50/60's we just don't appreciate it.

Technology isn't the be all and end all for making us happier though is it?

In that same time period we've seen crime rise, suicide rise, and communities drift further apart with people getting colder to each other. We've seen noble experiments in cultural blending turn into high tensions. We've seen marriage and long term relationships turn into a statistical dumpster fire.

We could have levitating cars, mega-AI, and teleportation and that wouldn't make the world nessasarily a better place, just one filled with easy conveniences.

In many ways the focus on consumer goods, is as much a symptom of a need for distraction from a grindy workplace, and a disconnected community, with a constant background hum of "it's probably all going to go to poop eventually". That urge for a technological utopia, while we march into brave new world, bladerunner, animal farm, the matrix and 1984.

Of course all this will sound like I am trying to Debbie downer your optimism. I'm not really, I;m just suggesting that consumer driven technology, currently tends to create technologies that we have to adapt to, and often do so poorly. For example, high internet use has now been positively correlated with suicide risk in a few major studies. Under 25's when given the choice of 30 minutes with no cell phone, with nothing to do, and an electric shock - basically all chose the electric shock.

We COULD design technology that enhances and adapts to our natural human condition. And in doing so, we COULD create a utopia - where nano-manfacturing and machines do our labour, where communication is made personal, intimate and real. But generally speaking it seems humans have so little time, to contemplate, that their understanding of themselves is so deeply lacking, that they don't actually understand what the human condition IS, well enough to engineer a society, or technology for the benefit of that condition.

Or perhaps they are just too worn and tired to care. Or conditioned to think in other ways. Whatever the case, there are good reasons why revivalism, and nostalgia is at an all time high, and things that are passing, and part of our history, that were quite worthy of a moments appreciation.

Like an ability to tolerate, and enjoy silence. Independence from things. Dinner with the family. Asking for butter from your neighbour, and getting help, rather than everyone drawing their curtains.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
Certainly its worth a pause for amazement, the sheer work, over decades that goes into making something thoroughly familiar, like our road networks, or the internet, or cellular networks into place.

The volume of materials, from mine, to factory, and the sheer manhours is incredible. And a lot of technology is so artfully crafted, that for the most part no one person understands it all, from the micro-processor, the network packets up to the software level, let alone all the component processes that make it possible, and how to practically do them.

Similar amazing is the amount of hours, in an average persons life, is spent earning to acquire such goods, like, a car, or a good computer, and the sheer total volume of collective debt, across the planet endured, to reach for this nebulus consumer nirvana.

faisalbaba

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
Competition between companies is increasing faster.vivo show figure print scanner in display.Apple may bring it to next iPhone.
What is next innovation in phone,will it foldable screen or something else

Sent from (iOK)

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Technology isn't the be all and end all for making us happier though is it?

In that same time period we've seen crime rise, suicide rise, and communities drift further apart with people getting colder to each other. We've seen noble experiments in cultural blending turn into high tensions. We've seen marriage and long term relationships turn into a statistical dumpster fire.

We could have levitating cars, mega-AI, and teleportation and that wouldn't make the world nessasarily a better place, just one filled with easy conveniences.

In many ways the focus on consumer goods, is as much a symptom of a need for distraction from a grindy workplace, and a disconnected community, with a constant background hum of "it's probably all going to go to poop eventually". That urge for a technological utopia, while we march into brave new world, bladerunner, animal farm, the matrix and 1984.

Of course all this will sound like I am trying to Debbie downer your optimism. I'm not really, I;m just suggesting that consumer driven technology, currently tends to create technologies that we have to adapt to, and often do so poorly. For example, high internet use has now been positively correlated with suicide risk in a few major studies. Under 25's when given the choice of 30 minutes with no cell phone, with nothing to do, and an electric shock - basically all chose the electric shock.

We COULD design technology that enhances and adapts to our natural human condition. And in doing so, we COULD create a utopia - where nano-manfacturing and machines do our labour, where communication is made personal, intimate and real. But generally speaking it seems humans have so little time, to contemplate, that their understanding of themselves is so deeply lacking, that they don't actually understand what the human condition IS, well enough to engineer a society, or technology for the benefit of that condition.

Or perhaps they are just too worn and tired to care. Or conditioned to think in other ways. Whatever the case, there are good reasons why revivalism, and nostalgia is at an all time high, and things that are passing, and part of our history, that were quite worthy of a moments appreciation.

Like an ability to tolerate, and enjoy silence. Independence from things. Dinner with the family. Asking for butter from your neighbour, and getting help, rather than everyone drawing their curtains.

I agree with much of what you're saying.

I'm not into nostalgia though as we have a tendency to see things through rose tinted glasses. 'When I was young.... (fill in the blank)". I also find both nostalgia and revivalism dangerous thinking personally. Longing for the past does not solve the future nor do we seem to learn from it.

I have loved technology since I was fairly young (we're talking 70/80s here) and I was lucky to have computers in my school at a fairly early age. I have no idea why that was as I grew up in a working class neighbourhood and went to a public school but I am thankful. I'm all for a technical society but one where we have a conscious.

I do agree that younger people are caught up in consumer tech too much. However, there are shifts happening and I do believe that more and more younger people are starting to appreciate life more outside of tech. Not everyone is tied to their mobile devices and lots of people realise that being connected is good but shouldn't override your life.

There is also a cultural aspect to this as well. In places with high levels of consumerism, like the UK or USA for example, where having stuff is important you're more likely to find this kind of mentality where people won't let go. Of course even in these countries there are changes in life style. It's easy to get caught up in doom and gloom thinking but I believe that society goes though stages and it takes a while to settle.

Many aspects of what you describe near the end there I think has more to do with the perceived pressures of society rather than the reality. Family life is what the parents want to make it, a lot of that depends on taking time out for family life. We often hear of 'time poor' families but I do wonder how much of that is their own making?

As for neighbours and community. That's a major political problem brought about by creating environments where no one feels stable. In places like here in the UK. Property investment is big business. Lots of people rent rather than own. Home ownership is at all time low. Jobs are lower paid, houses too expensive. The list goes on. Community takes more than home ownership but if you have a constant shifting of people how does one build community? That is the question.

We can try to solve the worlds problems but I don't think technology is that big of a problem. It's an issue but there are other political/societal aspects which create the basis for these issues rather than tech itself. We are very much a divided society in the west and in other places. It's mix of old fashioned thinking, greed, nostalgia and aggressive conservatism vs new ideas, liberalism, cohesiveness and younger thinking. There will always be clashes.

Lastly, I don't think there is such a thing as utopia. Humans are just not set up for it. It never existed and never will. We can only hope for better than now.

May 15, 2017
Visit site
i don't think 'the smartphone" has peaked. i still think it's evolving.for example - this year alone, we've seen the releases of a couple of devices that shifted the paradigm on the smartphone aspect ratio in an effort towards a (though still not perfected) completely bezel-less design. the evolution may seem slow because its coming slower steps while we wait for the technology to catch up to what is conceptualized.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
i don't think 'the smartphone" has peaked. i still think it's evolving.for example - this year alone, we've seen the releases of a couple of devices that shifted the paradigm on the smartphone aspect ratio in an effort towards a (though still not perfected) completely bezel-less design.

I basically agree with your viewpoint here. I'm not convinced we're due for another paradigm change at this point. Although, I will NOT say that one will never come!

The cars we drive today are the same basic form as Henry Ford's original Model T. Actually, they're the same basic form as the first four wheeled carts man hitched to large animals. Today's cars are sleeker, faster, more reliable, more efficient, and more comfortable, but the basic form is the same.

Another thing that comes into play is that logistics dictate an acceptable form factor. Our eyes are not sharper, nor are our fingers more precise, than they were 20 years ago. We still need a certain screen size to be able to see, and a device large enough to handle. Similar to the vehicle analogy above, we still interact with the PC similar to the way we did when the current form factor became popular 30+ years ago, although its capabilities and speed have grown exponentially.

the evolution may seem slow because its coming slower steps while we wait for the technology to catch up to what is conceptualized.

I've read that lack of significant advancement in battery technology is holding this back.

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
I like the idea of a pen & dock/slab concept.

Pen (no larger than a Mont Blanc):

Could house the: great camera, speaker, microphone, detachable magnetic ear piece, 3 or 4 line curved screen, Bluetooth, WiFi, flashlight, projector. The dial pad would appear linearly, on the top line of the curve screen, the number dialed would appear linearly, on the 2nd/3rd line, below.

Dock/Slab Base (not bigger than an X3, but compatible with all Surface Tablets and Phones):

Should do most of the heavy lifting: storage; bigger screen; large dial pad; apps/games; writing platform for the pen (note taking), battery charger for pen, when docked.

Function:

Most menial tasks would be preformed on the pen, that would be connected to the Slab by means of Bluetooth when out and about, wifi when home or office;
Phone calls could be made by voice commands, or using the curved touch screen on pen (or from the touch screen on the slab), either the pen's speaker, or the magnetically attached ear bud, would be used for listening; emails, SMS, could be viewed by scrolling on the curved screen, and sent, using voice commands (or, via Slab). Camera would be point and shoot/record from pen, or, when composition is required, you would use in conjunction with the slab (this would allow a user to hold the pen high in the air, and compose through the slab working as a viewfinder, down low).

pen would be strongly magnetized, to the slab when not in use, or charging; and should have a minimum of 30ft (10M) distance when on Bluetooth. Wifi for whole house/office; WWAN for long distance file retrieval, and allowing the file to be viewed via projection.

This setup would give a great deal of functional flexibility. IMHO:)

Just a thought...

Last edited:

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Pc or mobile

Sent from (iOK)
Surface.
I'm not Microsoft nor an economist. But they would not keep putting out Surface products if the market was not willing to consume them. Microsoft knows what type of environment needs to be present for such a device to survive and thrive. It's there, yet the average consumer I feel may not accept it or be ready. Even many of us on this site are skeptical at times depending...

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
@mtf1380

What I've been looking at lately personally is something that I can feel safe in the event of it falling out of my hand at 4ft and hitting the floor. Safe from liquids/dust. Safe from extreme climates. The Elite x3 has almost all that with out a case protector. If Microsoft can perfect those things and add what you said above and some they could sell that to almost anyone. It has to be portable enough to put in a coat pocket or pocket book/purse. So maybe detachable is the thinking here. I believe it will be a predecessor from the surface book of some kind.

Edit: SurfaceBook successor I meant lol...although the concept has been around long enough for it to be a predecessor haha

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
i don't think 'the smartphone" has peaked. i still think it's evolving.for example - this year alone, we've seen the releases of a couple of devices that shifted the paradigm on the smartphone aspect ratio in an effort towards a (though still not perfected) completely bezel-less design. the evolution may seem slow because its coming slower steps while we wait for the technology to catch up to what is conceptualized.
I agree. The smartphone category is becoming an art and a competitive one at that. And what do collectors do..? They look for that unique piece the one that stands out or displays something unique and expressive. It catches the eye and senses. We're are easily pleased in the basic senses.

IF Microsoft or an OEM put out a bezeless W10M phone, do you think anyone would buy it? Or even try it?

I think it's been there done that. Alcatel is such a mediocre company that hardly anyone knew or knows the idol4s existed that was not already a w10m user. Yet there dbl glass sided phone fell out of the t-mobile store 3 months out if the gate...not bezeless but the only consumer focused phone to come this last 12 months. They'll keep pressing on and hopefully the Europe release and preorders go well...

Samsung, LG, or Huawei if they put out a W10M handset people will pay attention. Only way I see Microsoft's OS being viable/noticed in the SMARTPHONE Market. Microsoft could not even turnaround the smartphone heads in their direction IMO. That's why they are waiting and hopefully perfecting something that should be a new type of experience. It seems to point back to a surface device/branded experience of some sort.

May 15, 2017
Visit site
I agree. The smartphone category is becoming an art and a competitive one at that. And what do collectors do..? They look for that unique piece the one that stands out or displays something unique and expressive. It catches the eye and senses. We're are easily pleased in the basic senses.

IF Microsoft or an OEM put out a bezeless W10M phone, do you think anyone would buy it? Or even try it?

I think it's been there done that. Alcatel is such a mediocre company that hardly anyone knew or knows the idol4s existed that was not already a w10m user. Yet there dbl glass sided phone fell out of the t-mobile store 3 months out if the gate...not bezeless but the only consumer focused phone to come this last 12 months. They'll keep pressing on and hopefully the Europe release and preorders go well...

Samsung, LG, or Huawei if they put out a W10M handset people will pay attention. Only way I see Microsoft's OS being viable/noticed in the SMARTPHONE Market. Microsoft could not even turnaround the smartphone heads in their direction IMO. That's why they are waiting and hopefully perfecting something that should be a new type of experience. It seems to point back to a surface device/branded experience of some sort.

i actually think microsoft should be the ones taking the lead on the next mobile device (both software and hardware) before any other oems follow.

BUT - andthis is the big caveat - it would only work if they can bring forth another category changer the way they did with the surface pro line. something that nobody has seen before. this is the reason I'm looking forward to and am hopeful ( maybe foolishly) about the rumored surface phone. similar to how other oems piggy backed off of the surface pro hardware concept, if the surface pro phone does manage to create something that shows us a new idea of what smartphone can be, other oems will follow that template and come up with other windows phones and follow suit. if that happens, similar to how the surface pro line reenergized the perception of microsoft, they can create excitement within the consumers mindset.

i think that's actually a big reason windows mobile didn't catch on that doesn't get mentioned. all they did was create a new UI (which was awesome) but stuck it in a predictable rectangular slab (aka somewhat boring)hardware. and in that situation, the app situation becomes more noticably dire. my opinion is hardware is what first attracts consumers, and app situation is what may influence someone's desire to keep it or ditch it.

i don't think hardware gets talked about as much as it should. look how much excitement samsung is getting from consumers and all they did was bring to the market curved edge screens and a different display aspect ratios with less bezel(all hardware)- because honestly Samsung's version of android isn't even the best skin of android available. and further back, how apple created excitement for the iphone with an all touch display (hardware) in an era of phones with keyboards- at that point, from a software perspective apple was still very lacking and blackberry had the more stable os.

if Microsoft takes the lead in creating a new design of the smartphone from a hardware perspective (again, like they did with the surface pro line for the mobile computing market), then more of the average consumers will pay attention. never underestimate the importance of design. and once developers realize there is excitement for the new windows phone experience, they might be more inclined to consider developing for windows mobile.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
@Keeptechcoolandsimple
Good points. I agree in your opinion. It's purely up to Microsoft to choose to do it and when. When they do it will take like you said a defining piece of tech that has capabilities unlike anything used this far. It leans that way. Where they'll need of that device its own category defining Hardware and strict advertising.

May 15, 2017
Visit site
@Keeptechcoolandsimple
Good points. I agree in your opinion. It's purely up to Microsoft to choose to do it and when. When they do it will take like you said a defining piece of tech that has capabilities unlike anything used this far. It leans that way. Where they'll need of that device its own category defining Hardware and strict advertising.

remember those "I'm an apple, he's a pc" apple ads that painted windows as an old fashioned relic of a time gone by? i honestly think surface pro line completely flipped that script.

hopefully, the so called surface phone can flip the script the same way.. microsoft could then run ads that show how far apple has fallen back in terms of innovation.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss