Microsoft has let us down

PerfectReign

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
Um, that would be me. I just watched it again. After opening the email, I had to press "download pictures" then wait about three seconds. Just something more annoying.

Now, I did file a bug in feedback some time ago - https://aka.ms/ckvlak

f5a828ca96c6cefce54a3e186ce7c212.jpg

Seems like a reoccurring issue.

Oh and I wanted to post from my 950xl but kept getting a post error.

5b3717e69a4792a941faa7fd4784ad97.jpg

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
MS has thier hooks in too, don't be fooled. No one is transparent on the internet. Do you have a Facebook account? They have hooks too.

I'm not fooled. But Microsoft has proven more benign in their post data mining usage, whereas Google is under the impression that the whole evolution of the species is culminated in their absolute RIGHT to serve you ads and that your PRIMARY function in the universe is to suck them up like a sponge. And they want to target, refine, retarget, refine, microtarget until they hone in and hit a nerve. They are relentless, shameless and implacable. I have never been hounded with advertising on a Windows Phone to the degree I am on Android and IMHO even if tales of targeting ads based on the email you just sent are "debunked" I still believe that (like every service from every company) they have bots crawling all over my personal content and IT IS KNOWN that Google's (and Alphabet's) primary revenue stream is advertising. Microsoft's is software and cloud services. Google makes software, yes. But their raison d'etre is serving ads.

Do I have Facebook? No. I'm not insane.

Google lead the charge. Facebook carriers the banner PROUDLY. Twitter is a heavy hitter. These companies are engaged in psyops against the populace in order to manipulate them to their own advantage. Call it tin foil hat conspiracy theory if you want, but I'm not in actual fear. I don't NOT use tech because of it. I'm far from being a luddite. I'm just careful about what baskets I choose to put my eggs in.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Outlook runs just fine

It runs fine. But it isn't as fully flavored as it is on WP/W10M/in a browser. Ever use the Outlook "Calendar" widget? I put Calendar in quotes because I can't find an actual calendar view. It's just a 2 week list of items you can scroll through.

Wolfjt

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
It runs fine. But it isn't as fully flavored as it is on WP/W10M/in a browser. Ever use the Outlook "Calendar" widget? I put Calendar in quotes because I can't find an actual calendar view. It's just a 2 week list of items you can scroll through.
All you need to do is Swipe down and you get the view of the whole month. It's different but very usable and works with no issues. Early on there were issues that is for sure. But it is rock solid now.

Wolfjt

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
I'm not fooled. But Microsoft has proven more benign in their post data mining usage, whereas Google is under the impression that the whole evolution of the species is culminated in their absolute RIGHT to serve you ads and that your PRIMARY function in the universe is to suck them up like a sponge. And they want to target, refine, retarget, refine, microtarget until they hone in and hit a nerve. They are relentless, shameless and implacable. I have never been hounded with advertising on a Windows Phone to the degree I am on Android and IMHO even if tales of targeting ads based on the email you just sent are "debunked" I still believe that (like every service from every company) they have bots crawling all over my personal content and IT IS KNOWN that Google's (and Alphabet's) primary revenue stream is advertising. Microsoft's is software and cloud services. Google makes software, yes. But their raison d'etre is serving ads.

Google lead the charge. Facebook carriers the banner PROUDLY. Twitter is a heavy hitter. These companies are engaged in psyops against the populace in order to manipulate them to their own advantage. Call it tin foil hat conspiracy theory if you want, but I'm not in actual fear. I don't NOT use tech because of it. I'm far from being a luddite. I'm just careful about what baskets I choose to put my eggs in.
Well I understand what you are saying. But again, it's a losing battle to think we are anonymous on the internet. The sad thing is, one would have to go the Apple route to get the most anonymoity.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
All you need to do is Swipe down and you get the view of the whole month. It's different but very usable and works with no issues. Early on there were issues that is for sure. But it is rock solid now.

No swipe down on the widget I'm using. It's called Outlook Agenda and is an official MS product.

Well I understand what you are saying. But again, it's a losing battle to think we are anonymous on the internet. The sad thing is, one would have to go the Apple route to get the most anonymoity.

A major reason I'm toughing it out on my Sony Xperia X is that I'm waiting for the official Sailfish OS to drop onto it. Privacy forward.

Wolfjt

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
No swipe down on the widget I'm using. It's called Outlook Agenda and is an official MS product.

A major reason I'm toughing it out on my Sony Xperia X is that I'm waiting for the official Sailfish OS to drop onto it. Privacy forward.
Well, when I say Outlook, I mean the outlook app not a widget. Again the only app that doesnt work that I wish did is Groove music. That is an awesome app but it won't recognize music on an SD card. That is disappointing.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site

I agree with what you said but, at the same time, Google doesn't exactly hide what they're doing. Most people purchase knowing fair well and even enjoying the trade off. I'm not sure who's more to blame, Google or the population at large.

Wolfjt

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
I agree with what you said but, at the same time, Google doesn't exactly hide what they're doing. Most people purchase knowing fair well and even enjoying the trade off. I'm not sure who's more to blame, Google or the population at large.
People wouldn't buy in if they weren't getting value weather it's just perceived or not. People must realize Windows Mobile is dead. Just move on, Google is not the devil, and neither is Apple. I thought I would miss live tiles and a year later I really don't miss it at all. No one was a bigger fan of win mobile than me. But life is good now that I have the latest and greatest apps for Mobile.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I don't know they have a choice. It's either iOS with their issues or Windows with its lack of apps. I wouldn't say people "enjoy" the tradeoff, more like put up with it. Personally, I pay for the ad-free experience every chance I get but it's not the norm amongst the Android crowd.

Wolfjt

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
I don't know they have a choice. It's either iOS with their issues or Windows with its lack of apps. I wouldn't say people "enjoy" the tradeoff, more like put up with it. Personally, I pay for the ad-free experience every chance I get but it's not the norm amongst the Android crowd.
It all comes down to choice. Unfortunately with the state of Windows we only have two choices. :(

PerfectReign

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
What's a memory leak? Is that like Alzheimer's for phones?

lol

No, it is a programming issue.

When any operation system- Linux, UNIX (MacOS), Windows, Android... - runs a program or app, the OS has to allocate some of the memory or RAM to store stuff like variables, application state, current time l, and other things.

In non managed code like C or Assembly, the programmer is in charge of releasing stuff from active memory when complete so it can be used again. If they dont, the memory in the device will be used up and the program as well as device will fail until a restart happens.

In our phones and in most modern programming environments, this job is assigned to the OS under a process called the Garbage Collector. The "garbage" or stuff not being used is routinely picked up by the process. When a leak occurs here, it is the fault of the OS. Android used to.have horrid memory leaks in Eclair through jellybean.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memory_leak

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs