With 8.1 support dropping soon, is it worth it to still use?

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I figured that I'll ask, because I'm curious to know.

My dad only uses WhatsApp, HERE Maps, and MSN News so for him, I think it's worth it to stay on it. 8.1 is stable, and even though Windows 10 Mobile is becoming less glitchy, I would rather not have him deal with such an experience.

What do you think? Is 8.1 still worth using if one doesn't use many apps? Are you one of these people and/or do you have a friend/spouse/associate who is one of these people?

Edit: https://www.windowscentral.com/mainstream-support-windows-phone-81-ends-tomorrow

Last edited:

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I would say it is worth it for those of us that don't enjoy intimidating over the top features.
Ate one seems so basic after using other current options.
Also it takes some users a while to completely get comfortable with a smartphone. For this reason I believe an almost dead version may fill the bill for so many nongeek types.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I would say it is worth it for those of us that don't enjoy intimidating over the top features.
Ate one seems so basic after using other current options.
Also it takes some users a while to completely get comfortable with a smartphone. For this reason I believe an almost dead version may fill the bill for so many nongeek types.

Hmm, I didn't think of that. You have a great point there.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
For old times sake I put a SIM in the 925 and started using it again.
Been using it for phone calls mostly.

Wow, I didn't expect this. I'm sure that the size coming from the Mate 9 is an adjustment. I'm guessing that you use the Mate 9 for pictures (of course I mean when it comes to phones)?

mark233

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Same here Lol...

Wonder how many others came up from the 521 to the 925?

I know of a couple more. Female friend. Her first smartphone was the 521. After I got the 925 I showed her and said, "If you like that phone you're gonna love this one." lol .... and she did. She gave the 521 to a friend of hers who also went on to the 925.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I still have my inlaws parked on 8.1. They have a Lumia 635 and a 640. I wouldn't put them on 10. I'm keeping my eye on this as some of their apps are likely to start getting borked.

rchillin

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
I have to disagree with Richard. From a UX standpoint, I still think 8.1 has slight edge and still looks quite refreshing. I pulled out my 1020 the other day because my 950XL keeps constantly rebooting (I'm not sure if it's the battery or not). I think Cortana looks better, Quiet Hours integrates with your calendar, and the People hub is actually still useful.

beachedwhale42

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
W10M is basically dead as well, so as long as 8.1 meets your needs, why change? There were certainly some nice things that 10 changed over 8.1, but if you're still rocking 8.1 today, it's not worth it. As much as it pains me to say this, I'd argue that any change from running 8.1 today would have to be to Android or iOS.

Thomas De Long

Jun 3, 2014
Visit site
I am not planning on ever upgrading my 830 to Windows 10(come to think of it I don't even know if I can). I like 8.1 and don't want to spend the time learning a new OS unless forced into it.

N8tiveT3ch

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
I just here to say...the imaged used on Windows Central for this post is looking damn fine...I think my little bro still uses 8.1...I can't remember. He does have a flavor of windows though.

lippidp

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
I just recently moved from a 1020 to a 950. My favorite part of WM10 is speech to text for every field. That alone has made it worth it for me, with reliable wireless charging a close second. (The wireless charging shell for the 1020 was so frustrating.) I don't understand all the complaints I read about the OS and stability. For me it has been on par with WP8.1. Yes, hamburger menus are annoying. I wish those would go away. For me the impetus to move was that IE became more and more useless and FB Messenger stopped working altogether.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb