What if Windows Mobile does end?

gbm97

Aug 23, 2015
Visit site
I do not want any other phone but a Windows phone.
What may happen if Microsoft ends support for mobile?

Reminds me when my Motorola StarTac {brick} phone changed from analog signal to digital signal.
One morning I woke up and the switch to digital had happened.
My StarTac phone was useless.

Say today Microsoft ended support. Advanced notice was given, we bitched to no end.
Would that mean the latest and last version installed on my Lumia 650 at that time continues to function until its time to restore it back to the same latest and last version to continue its use?
Or does it just end fast, all done?

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Chill, my Palm Pre 2 still makes phone calls, texts, Exchange emails and has a semi-functional browser. GSM is a world standard and if your 650 goes dead so will those shiny new $1000 iPhones.

Sent from my HP Elite x3 on mTalk

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Windows 10 for Mobile may have branched out to "Feature 2" or a dead end for newer features and improvements. However that does not mean bug fixes and security fixes stop. It will run until Microsoft puts it on E.O.L. ( End of Line).
So in a way it will End, but that does not mean the phones stop working like the switch to digital.

Windows 10 for Arm I think is going to take the place of the phone division. First Microsoft and Partners will launch Laptop/Tablet Windows 10 for Arm.

After the fun begins A smaller device that runs Windows 10 on Arm with C shell, so maybe a folding Tablet with phone ability, the shell ( Start Screen or UI elements), morph based on use.

Microsoft will sell the Design Reference "Surface Phone", Partners will also sell Higher End, Midrange, and low end. HP seems to have another device like the X3 in the wings, the body has been seen but no ideas yet as to what is under the hood.

Don't be surprised if Oct. 31 London does not see the release of Windows 10 for Arm devices from Partners. However seeing Samsung, Apple, and Google will have put out their phone plans, the time would be an advantage for Microsoft to cause a BUZZ in the Tech press if they lifted the lid on their mobile ideas.

LightenSkies

Apr 25, 2016
Visit site
Microsoft Windows Mobile is going to be around for a few more years. As Microsoft has said WIndows 10 on Arm is not coming to phones that Windows Mobile 10 is for phones. WIndows 10 on Arm is for a whole new category of devices. So you have nothing to worry about just enjoy what you have right now. :)

P.S. You never know one day you may be able to make calls on a 7" tablet that will have Windows 10 on Arm.

Elky64

Jun 2, 2017
Visit site
Well, if you've been following along for any length of time you'll know things aren't getting any rosier in regards to the platform. If you are comfortable with that then keep "tuckin" w/Windows Mobile because it's anyone's guess where it'll be tomorrow.

Another aspect is the app-gap. IMHO it is only going to get worse so that is something to think about if apps are high on your list.

Then there's all these updates MSFT continues to issue. From my personal experience, they have instilled a certain degree of stability over time yet seem to have done little to enhance performance. On my 830 and 650 it's expected they would be on the lower end of the scale in regards to performance although I do feel there is more room for improvement. On the other hand, our 950 falls way short of what I think its capable of. So can only surmise that these updates are not performance enhancers per se.

So in summary, the phone may still work for some time to come but may end up having less functionality for your needs as time goes on, app dependant and what MSFT decides to support or not.

Last edited:

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Well, if you've been following along for any length of time you'll know things aren't getting any rosier in regards to the platform. If you are comfortable with that then keep "tuckin" w/Windows Mobile because it's anyone's guess where it'll be tomorrow.

Another aspect is the app-gap. IMHO it is only going to get worse so that is something to think about if apps are high on your list.

Then there's all these updates MSFT continues to issue. From my personal experience, they have instilled a certain degree of stability over time yet seem to have done little to enhance performance. On my 830 and 650 it's expected they would be on the lower end of the scale in regards to performance although I do feel there is more room for improvement. On the other hand, our 950 falls way short of what I think its capable of. So can only surmise that these updates are not performance enhancers per se.

So in summary, the phone may still work for some time to come but may end up having less functionality for your need as time goes on, app dependant and what MSFT decides to support or not.

This.
That doesn't mean that sometime in the future MS won't release some kind of mobile-like device that makes phone calls. There's no guarantee that will be a success. In the mean time, don't expect much except security updates, etc. If you're OK with that, your phone will continue working as it is today.

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
A few things I am going to say here, and it may seem that I am going to slag off Microsoft but this is just things I have learned over the years..........
Microsoft has said Windows 10 on Arm will not come to our currant and past Windows Phone. That means they do not have a plan to support past devices.... It does not say our phones will not run Windows 10 on Arm, or our phones can not run the new O/S......They do not want to be caught in a Lie Again.

The whole WinMo6.5 to Windows Phone 7, and Windows Phone 7 to Windows Phone 8 fuss again.

Now for any person who tries to reply to this and uses the old/tired/untrue "its because of the kernel change", stop.
Cortula ( may have spelling wrong), and the Dark Forces Team debunked it as myth a long time ago.
hd2wp7.PNG
hd2rt.jpg

Cortula put Windows RT on the old HD2 as a proof of concept, and a proof that it was only a Money factor that Microsoft forced user to buy new hardware.

So until I see post on XDA saying Win10 for Arm will not run on chips lower than Snapdragon 835, there is always the chance maybe the X3, 950/950 XL, Idol 4S could run it.......slower, or even with heat issues, or maybe fine like in the past.

Windows Phone as we know it now I do feel is on a dead end street, but Windows Mobile devices are not!!!
The O/S will get minor boosts and bug fixes until 2020 or 2021 so your phone today will work past the End Of Line date. Will the apps work.......the core Microsoft apps will but who knows what 3rd party apps will do.

Your next device will be an All-in-One

Phone/Tablet/Laptop foldable with add ons like a Type cover and pen support.

Just look at the full picture of Surface and Windows + Windows Phone. Things Microsoft has learned from Surface Dock/Display Dock + Continuum + Windows RT + Windows Phone.

The Type covers + Surface Book and moving some of the computing power to the keyboard section.

This also ties into the One Core thinking and UWP.....one app many devices, one device many uses.

It's not going to be a Killer Phone or a Killer Tablet or a Gaming Laptop, but it will do all three well !!!

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
A few things I am going to say here, and it may seem that I am going to slag off Microsoft but this is just things I have learned over the years..........
Microsoft has said Windows 10 on Arm will not come to our currant and past Windows Phone. That means they do not have a plan to support past devices.... It does not say our phones will not run Windows 10 on Arm, or our phones can not run the new O/S......They do not want to be caught in a Lie Again.

The whole WinMo6.5 to Windows Phone 7, and Windows Phone 7 to Windows Phone 8 fuss again.

Now for any person who tries to reply to this and uses the old/tired/untrue "its because of the kernel change", stop.
Cortula ( may have spelling wrong), and the Dark Forces Team debunked it as myth a long time ago.
View attachment 137468
View attachment 137469

Cortula put Windows RT on the old HD2 as a proof of concept, and a proof that it was only a Money factor that Microsoft forced user to buy new hardware.

So until I see post on XDA saying Win10 for Arm will not run on chips lower than Snapdragon 835, there is always the chance maybe the X3, 950/950 XL, Idol 4S could run it.......slower, or even with heat issues, or maybe fine like in the past.

Windows Phone as we know it now I do feel is on a dead end street, but Windows Mobile devices are not!!!
The O/S will get minor boosts and bug fixes until 2020 or 2021 so your phone today will work past the End Of Line date. Will the apps work.......the core Microsoft apps will but who knows what 3rd party apps will do.

Your next device will be an All-in-One

Phone/Tablet/Laptop foldable with add ons like a Type cover and pen support.

Just look at the full picture of Surface and Windows + Windows Phone. Things Microsoft has learned from Surface Dock/Display Dock + Continuum + Windows RT + Windows Phone.

The Type covers + Surface Book and moving some of the computing power to the keyboard section.

This also ties into the One Core thinking and UWP.....one app many devices, one device many uses.

It's not going to be a Killer Phone or a Killer Tablet or a Gaming Laptop, but it will do all three well !!!

Iain_S

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
well MS just updated the version number for windows 10 mobile, so devices that are still supported you will have software support in to 2019.

eshropshire

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
I do not want any other phone but a Windows phone.
What may happen if Microsoft ends support for mobile?

Reminds me when my Motorola StarTac {brick} phone changed from analog signal to digital signal.
One morning I woke up and the switch to digital had happened.
My StarTac phone was useless.

Say today Microsoft ended support. Advanced notice was given, we bitched to no end.
Would that mean the latest and last version installed on my Lumia 650 at that time continues to function until its time to restore it back to the same latest and last version to continue its use?
Or does it just end fast, all done?
I believe you will get the same notice Microsoft gave Windows RT users.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
If it ends, it ends. Simple as that. Knowing MS, they won't even tell us when it ends, it'll just be quietly written off and left to rot. After that our phones will still work, we just won't get any updates or new apps. But we should be used to that already by now. So there's not really much of a difference between WM10 as it is now and if it ends.

To the rest of the world it ended years ago, to me, I know it's near enough ended, but that won't stop me enjoying using my 950XL. If you are truly worried about Windows Phone ending then perhaps you care more about what phone you have and what people think than you thought? That's why we have Android and iPhone. You can pick either of those and be part of the cool kids instead.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
If it ends, it ends. Simple as that. Knowing MS, they won't even tell us when it ends, it'll just be quietly written off and left to rot. After that our phones will still work, we just won't get any updates or new apps. But we should be used to that already by now. So there's not really much of a difference between WM10 as it is now and if it ends.

To the rest of the world it ended years ago, to me, I know it's near enough ended, but that won't stop me enjoying using my 950XL. If you are truly worried about Windows Phone ending then perhaps you care more about what phone you have and what people think than you thought? That's why we have Android and iPhone. You can pick either of those and be part of the cool kids instead.

Great post. There are a few refugees from BlackBerry and webOS here and I think we care so little about the impending death of Windows Mobile that it makes laugh a little. To quote the late, great Yogi Berra, "It's like deja vu all over again".

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Great post. There are a few refugees from BlackBerry and webOS here and I think we care so little about the impending death of Windows Mobile that it makes laugh a little. To quote the late, great Yogi Berra, "It's like deja vu all over again".

Just think of it as being highly experienced.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs