01-10-2018 06:05 AM
83 ... 234
tools
    For me, it comes down to price. Put simply, iPhones are too expensive.
    The iPhone 8 in the US is $50 more than the Pixel 2. Not a big difference to stay in the ecosystem. Also as you mentioned the updates, lifecycle, and resale values are all better.
    mc_razza likes this.
    10-20-2017 10:29 PM
    For me, it comes down to price. Put simply, iPhones are too expensive. I'm already invested in the Apple ecosystem with an iMac (albeit from 2008), two iPads and an Apple TV but I cannot justify dropping over a grand for an iPhone 8. And forget buying yesterday's tech like the iPhone SE for over AUD $500. That's pretty much my argument for deciding to go with Android. However, one thing I am worried about is the comparatively weak security of Android over iOS, W10M and even WP8.1. Sure, Google pushes out monthly security updates, but that's dependent on the hardware manufacturer. Also Google guarantees a mere two years of updates from whereas Apple's commitment lasts far longer.
    iphones have way better resale value than android phones do. I've sold year old iphones in decent condition for 80% of the price I paid for them.

Meanwhile stores won't even give me a trade in value for my oneplus
    mc_razza and aximtreo like this.
    10-20-2017 10:37 PM
    The one thing cool about Android is that it can be completely customized by rooting a device and installing a custom ROM. I did that several years ago on my S2 as well as on my Note 2 and first Kindle Fire.

The thing about Iphone is that it is written in a lower level language and works faster than Java with the JRE android environment. Not a huge difference but I see it.

Take your pick. I chose the Iphone 7+ because it sucks slightly less than the others.

Sent from mTalk on my 950xl
    10-20-2017 11:58 PM
    The one thing cool about Android is that it can be completely customized by rooting a device and installing a custom ROM. I did that several years ago on my S2 as well as on my Note 2 and first Kindle Fire.

The thing about Iphone is that it is written in a lower level language and works faster than Java with the JRE android environment. Not a huge difference but I see it.

Take your pick. I chose the Iphone 7+ because it sucks slightly less than the others.

Sent from mTalk on my 950xl
    In addition to performing better, Apple just has the advantage of making both the software and the hardware. If they want some new instructions to be added to their chipset, they just call up their hardware department and have them program it.

Even with Android, if an oem makes the hardware, they don't have this level of control. Because they get their chips from. Qualcomm.

Samsung is the only exception to this with their exnyos chips.
    TgeekB likes this.
    10-21-2017 12:03 AM
    I spent a lot of time with Android and enjoyed it for all the previously mentioned reasons. Eventually, I decided I wanted the stability of Apple and haven’t looked back.
    It’s not a race or war to me, it’s just picking the one that you are most comfortable with.
    10-21-2017 08:43 AM
    Windows phone users who chose the platform after research are mostly a bunch of people that like something a little different. often slightly on the geek side and like me like living on the knife edge of tech. I and many others found comfort with Oneplus. Oneplus are a little different. they produce bleeding edge tech and to be honest. android these days is a very good os. when you first move to android you can customise the experience to resemble something you are familiar with and ease the transition.
    12-08-2017 11:03 AM
    I have been an observer of the platform wars since the very beginning. My first computer was an Apple ][+ and saw the launch of the IBM PC. In those early days it was Apple that had the open platform with an almost endless number of accessories that you could plug in and tinkering you could do under the hood.

In the intervening decades, first under the leadership of Steve Jobs and later Tim Cook apply steadily worked to insulate the end user from the mechanics of the machine he was using and limit his choices. This was first evident in the release of the Macintosh but that philosophy of limiting user choice has continued with iOS.

I don't think most windows phone users will be happy with the design philosophy in most Apple products. The key in switching to Android is to get the right device as there are a lot of substandard android releases out there.

....or just keep using you Windows phone and switch when it dies.
    12-16-2017 07:59 AM
    I do own all of the flagship lumia devices and I got switched to iOS.

Because I always like premium devices and iPhone feel more premium in build quality, usage and support.

I got iPhone 8 Plus on the day one and I am more satisfied with its performance and battery level. I was so happy that I was just charging once a day.

I do speak 3 to 4 hours a day and total usage of 8 hours and more of on screen usage with 10+ emails syncing all time, LTE and location always on, all the apps running in background.

I skip Android because I feel
    Insecure about my data when I use android.
    01-10-2018 06:05 AM
83 ... 234