Why most of WP users switch to android and not iOS?

sb1370

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
Every post that I've read here regarding switching platforms and also many of Microsoft important people (Joe Belfiore, Bill Gates, etc.) , mentioned android as their destination.
But why? Why not iOS?

Last edited:

Pacus1x

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
iOS is a very close OS, not much space to customize or change - add more features... Unlike Android which you can add many changes and functionalities of the OS, besides there are tons of hardware options in Android, from cheap low end phones to devices like the Note 8 or the Pixel 2 XL.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I think it's split actually because Windows Phone/Mobile have similarities with both.

As for why, it depends on the person. As said by Pacus1x , there are way more options for Android phones. iPhones come in three sizes and ~5 colors (the amount of colors depends on the model).

It really depends what you care about really. Some just seek a smooth, propriety experience like Lumias had and don't really care about making changes to their phone. Others like being able to customize what they want.

Personally, I tried Android first because of that customization thing and it felt like too much. I missed the simplicity of WP so I had to try iOS. I was able to get that feeling back with it because of how it is. Now though, you can get that with a OnePlus 5 or a Google Pixel.

jes1888

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
I have an elite x3 (which is for sale now, by the way) and needed a phone to support some work apps and environments. Bought the s8+ thru at&t next and an offer for $23 and bit the bullet, it’s kinda to much in the customization department, while that’s not bad those aren’t my days anymore and don’t bother in customizing it much, it’s not bad like it is, just put a dark theme and backgrounds and still trying to customize a w10 launcher to emulate wp10, but I would prefer to get an iPhone if they improve more, hate the 7 and 8 design, which is old, and the x have a lame a$$ “sensor bar” covering a bit of the screen on the top which looks flugly. Why they didn’t made the screen straight on the top like the s8 is beyond me, but this generation is a no buy for me. I do prefer the simplicity of the IOS since I already have an iPad. But this android is gonna have to suffice for now. I do love Samsung hardware, it’s really a beautiful design and gorgeous screen while also miss the 2+ days of battery life that the elite gave me... It’s really a mixed feeling for me...

Andreas Lagos

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
This is helpful... So reluctantly torn between an iphone and a pixel 2. Never owned other OS before, have played with my sister's iPhone and some androids but I am just frankly not drawn to either. Curious about the pixel, but despise Google as a company/philosophy. Surprisingly difficult choice to make for all the wrong reasons.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Almost all of them switched to high-end phones like S8.

The S8 is basically available everywhere (I mean on every carrier and everywhere in the world) so of course that makes for an easy choice. Samsung is excellent at marketing so people who don't really know Android options could easily think that it is between Apple and Samsung.

Sometimes people don't want to buy phones outright, sometimes they really think that Samsung is the best Android OEM. I wouldn't put much stock in the fact that people switched to it.

Mark Kaplan

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
For me its personal. I will never purchase an Apple product. I went with an S8 Plus which is smaller than my Elite X3 but its ok. The one thing I miss the most is Cortana.

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
I see the Pixel 2 and Galaxy S8, but don't forget about the LG V30, especially if a 3.5mm jack is still high on your list of important features.

Back on topic though, iPhones tell you what you want, Android let's you decide what you want.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
This is helpful... So reluctantly torn between an iphone and a pixel 2. Never owned other OS before, have played with my sister's iPhone and some androids but I am just frankly not drawn to either. Curious about the pixel, but despise Google as a company/philosophy. Surprisingly difficult choice to make for all the wrong reasons.

I personally despise all companies. Especially IT companies. They're all fake and exploitative.

You shouldn't base your decision on whether you like a company or not. What you should do is decide on what works best for you.

anon(7929613)

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
Android offers more freedom to deploy apps and features than iOS. Microsoft could easily deploy apps like Cortana, Edge and even Arrow launcher and integrate it tightly within the Android system. Things are not that easy on iOS with Apple restricting most of the things. That may be the reason why Microsoft is supporting Android more than iOS.

Last edited:

dov1978

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Every post that I've read here regarding switching platforms and also many of Microsoft important people (Joe Belfiore, Bill Gates, etc.) , mentioned android as their destination.
But why? Why not iOS?

Because I'm sure the first thing they did was install a Windows 10 style launcher so they could still enjoy the feel of Windows but with their favourite apps :)

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
iOS offers little customization, you do it Apple's way. And sometimes that way is aggravating. I think Android is more Windows Phone like, in that you have some customization. Especially with varying handsets, you can pick the features that are important to you, headphone jacks, wireless charging, good camera, expandable storage, etc.

blends

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I've tried both. I went from a Lumia 1520 (after 3 prior Windows phones) to an iPhone 6. Great phone but the battery life tanked after 7 or 8 months and an annual OS update. I got bored with iOS. It wasn't obvious to me that I wasn't really into the phone anymore but over time I gravitated towards some of the android forums, podcasts and blogs. I jumped on a $50 Moto E or G and a Moto 360 smartwatch I managed to get on sale for $80. The phone was no way close to meeting the performance I was used to on the iPhone but with all of the Google services (especially Waze) baked into the experience I bailed on Apple and got a Nexus 5X. A very capable phone. Camera was pretty bad though. 6 months later I sold it and picked up a Galaxy S7 for less than $500. I still have it and use it often. This spring I picked up an S8 because of all of the free extras (SD card, clearview cover and free netflix) and promotional pricing. I love my S8. I am the only android guy in my family and friend circles. At work it's different. It's like 50% iPhone and 50% Galaxy S7/S8. I also have a Gear S3 (gorgeous and not a square "watch") that generates a new compliment at least once a week. From my experience, iPhones have better apps but Google and Microsoft's services on Android are second to none. Samsung Pay works pretty much everywhere and is better than Android Pay (especially when trying to choose which card you'd like to pay with). The display on the S8 is better than anything you're going to get on an iPhone. Quick charging is a reality on Android and I could never go back to a phone without it. I no longer charge overnight since I can charge my phone so quickly. I get +65-70% battery life in about 30-35 minutes of charging so if I'm down to 15% I can hit 80-85% while getting dressed in the morning or on my drive to work. Wireless quick charging on the S8 is decent. It's as fast as plugging the phone into a non-quick charging charger. I use the wireless charger all the time when watching TV. Avoid the ones that are fanless. Your phone will get extremely hot and stop charging until it cools down again just so it can overheat again. I just stick with the Samsung OEM wireless charging pad after trying a few aftermarket ones. The iOS lock screen and notifications center sucks compared to Android. Android has widgets and shortcuts-a-plenty. iOS is stable, fast and extremely popular so apps and interactions with others will be easier. OS updates tend to slow things down unless you're on the latest hardware. Battery life will go from AWESOME to "can I borrow your charger?" in under a year. Games are way better on iOS. I can't really think of anything else to add.

TL;DR
iPhones and iOS are great but Android keeps it more interesting and competes extremely well on everything except for performance (and you won't really notice it on mid-tier and flagship hardware).

TennisGuy45

Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
Why would anyone want to switch to iOS??

Seriously, I do understand why some people would go to iOS. There are a lot of people out there that like simple and get overwhelmed with choice.

I'm just not one of them and I would not be surprised if a lot of people in this community are like me.

Android gives you countless hardware choices and endless software choices.

In my opinion going with Apple is like living in a country under a dictatorship.

As a user (citizen) of Apple you dont get to choose what you want on so many aspects from software to hardware.

Apple "decides" what is best for its users (citizens) and imposes its will on all of them as it sees fit.
Sometimes they truly do what is best for the users but every decision also is influenced by what is best for Apple and its leaders as well. (what lines their pockets the most).

ssgklu

May 29, 2014
Visit site
Yes. Android is the OS to migrate to. iOS is too locked down, icons are static, and doesn't play well with others. With Android, I can set Microsoft Edge as my browser, use widgets (to include the Windows Central widget), and run Microsoft Launcher. I currently run launcher on my Android phone and Android tablet, so it is a universal MS feel.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb