Windows phone is done. What's the next daily driver?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

Even though windows phone will continue to be usable for a while after these latest announcements, the option of switching to a new phone has never been more realistic. What would your next daily driver phone be? What phone do you think is closest to Microsoft's products/requires the least change to get up and running?

T Moore

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
To be more specific, Just because Microsoft will not be making phone hardware does not mean your phone will stop working.

Windows 10 Mobile with creators update will still be supported till 6/11/2019. You Will still get bug fixes, security updates but no new features.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Thread moved from AaQ to general because this subject is outside the purpose of the "Ask a Question" feature.

I'd say any other phone on any continuing OS should work as a daily driver.
I've been on Android for a while now and switching over was easy for me.
Friends here at Mobile Nations answered my questions and pointed me toward quite a few very good apps and helped guide me as far as features on Android.

I'm very satisfied with my choice after enjoying the simplicity of WP 8.1
I truly wish MS had tried much harder to give the WM users all the love they deserved :(

Adventurer64

Aug 29, 2017
Visit site
I'm a long time disgruntled Android user that switched to W10M 8 mths ago and love it. I use an Idol 4s on TMo and Just returned an X3 today due to minor issues with unlocked phones on tmo network and MS / HP bailing. Loved the X3 size and aspect ratio. Shopped around for Android phones today and LG V30 is probably my choice. However, I was reminded why I hated android 8 MThs ago. Bloat, bloat, google services that cant be removed, more bloat, UI inefficiency, too many settings, lack of updates, etc. I'd buy a bloat free X3 running raw android today. Otherwise, it's an LG V30 when price drops as LG always does several MThs after launch. I'd love a Live tile custom ROM for android.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
You Will still get bug fixes, security updates but no new features.

And where's the fun in that? Not sure about anyone else but i have always enjoyed tech for many years and still do, phone tech in particular so watching phones get more advanced while just being offered big fixes isn't really a situation i relish.

One of the reasons Nokia was so well regarded among WP users was the tech they stuffed into their flagship phones (within platform limitations); now there's no chance of that happening for a Windows powered mobile device. Not sure about anyone else but sitting back and watch smartphone tech pass me by just to be "loyal" to a company who couldn't be hones from the start is not for me.

Sent from mTalk

kwright62

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
Keeping my 950XL and waiting for a small Windows tablet with cellular capability to accompany a blue tooth head set. Not iphone or android. There are plenty of Windows phones out there, if this one fails I'll get another one.

Tsepz_GP

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
There are so many choices in Android:

- OnePlus 5
- S8+
- Note8
- LG V30
- Google Pixel 2
- Google Pixel 2 XL
- HTC U11
- Blackberry KEYone
- Blackberry Motion
- Huawei P10/P10 Plus
- Huawei Mate 9
- ZTE Axon7

Etc etc....

Endless variable experiences

beman39

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
To be more specific, Just because Microsoft will not be making phone hardware does not mean your phone will stop working.

Windows 10 Mobile with creators update will still be supported till 6/11/2019. You Will still get bug fixes, security updates but no new features.

totally agree with ya TMoore...

I'm so fed up with people posting windows phone is dead threads! and also questioning, oh nooo's what are we going to do??? and people acting like they're on the titanic and they're going sink and drown!

people get it through your head! your WP will not stop working over night! we still have 2+ more years of enjoyment and stop running around like your phone will crash and burn! so annoying! people are still using windows 8 till this day with no problems! yeah some apps are no longer working and supported but NOT ALL OF THEM! I just got my HP X3 and I'm not worried one bit with my decision and I know I will continue to enjoy my X3 for many years to come! stop with the drama LOL

Attachments

• Home-Alone-Kevin-Screaming.png
    Home-Alone-Kevin-Screaming.png
    297.5 KB · Views: 96

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Windows phone is dead. What's the next daily driver?

totally agree with ya TMoore...

I'm so fed up with people posting windows phone is dead threads! and also questioning, oh nooo's what are we going to do??? and people acting like they're on the titanic and they're going sink and drown!

people get it through your head! your WP will not stop working over night! we still have 2+ more years of enjoyment and stop running around like your phone will crash and burn! so annoying! people are still using windows 8 till this day with no problems! yeah some apps are no longer working and supported but NOT ALL OF THEM! I just got my HP X3 and I'm not worried one bit with my decision and I know I will continue to enjoy my X3 for many years to come! stop with the drama LOL

Not everyone wants to keep their already used phone 2 more years without any updates.
Sure, it will keep running, but that’s not what they’re talking about.

I do agree there’s way too many threads. One or two is enough.

sd4f

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
Lets face it, yea, they said they'll support with 'bug' fixes and security updates, but considering the current state of affairs, they might as well not bother. It's still quite buggy, and the important updates, i.e. from third parties for their apps, they won't be coming at all, and with this announcement, I would guess that it's not long before any major development team doing apps for windows will just get disbanded.

MS and others keep on talking about targeting 'what's next', problem is, no one will care because it won't do basic stuff users would expect a mobile device to do, due to lack of apps and support, and lets face it, AI and VR isn't going to be 'what's next'.

So, by rebooting and abandoning so many times, their strategies are going to force them to be like IBM. I just can't see them offering anything compelling enough to be able to re-enter the mobile market, and capture any sort of meaningful market share whatsoever. Enterprise is stale, and not driving these changes, they're mostly coming from consumers.

beman39

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
Re: Windows phone is dead. What's the next daily driver?

Not everyone wants to keep their already used phone 2 more years without any updates.
Sure, it will keep running, but that’s not what they’re talking about.

I do agree there’s way too many threads. One or two is enough.

ummm MS has never said they would drop updates and they actually said they will till 2019....

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
I am using the Google Pixel on my main line. Very happy with it so far. I got it almost a year ago.
I gave up my Lumia 950 at the end of January this year.

I like the flexibility of Android compared to iOS. It suits my needs a bit better compared to Apple's offerings. I always had a Nexus of some sort since 2014 to accompany my WP devices so I guess the transition was easier for me compared to most folks.

I am a huge Windows fan though. My SP3 is now two years old and am excited to get my Eve V in a few weeks!

Adventurer64

Aug 29, 2017
Visit site
Idol 4S for as long as possible, which is probably not much longer cuz of battery issues. I like the LG V30, but hoping for Elite X3 android version with same size screen, upgraded processor and camera. That would be the perfect android phone for me, other than its not W10M. I really don't like the tall and skinny phablets like Note 8.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05