Best android launchers for Windows Mobile fans?

cnashx

Nov 24, 2015
Visit site
So,
I switched awhile back from my 950xl and Elite x3 to an old iPhone 6plus fore necessity reasons and was waiting to see what Microsoft was going to do. With the current bleak outlook I have ordered an Essential PH-1 for pure android in a nice package.

Now I am trying to find out what launcher to use.
Are any of the "live-tile" like launchers any good? Laggy? efficient?
I've read a lot about Evie & Nova, but are they really that good?
Arrow/Microsoft Launcher integrates well but is it worth the effort?

Also how has everyone integrated Microsoft services? Anyone figure out full Cortana integration over Google Assistant?

Thank you!

Wolfjt

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
So,
I switched awhile back from my 950xl and Elite x3 to an old iPhone 6plus fore necessity reasons and was waiting to see what Microsoft was going to do. With the current bleak outlook I have ordered an Essential PH-1 for pure android in a nice package.

Now I am trying to find out what launcher to use.
Are any of the "live-tile" like launchers any good? Laggy? efficient?
I've read a lot about Evie & Nova, but are they really that good?
Arrow/Microsoft Launcher integrates well but is it worth the effort?

Also how has everyone integrated Microsoft services? Anyone figure out full Cortana integration over Google Assistant?

Thank you!
Arrow launcher is fantastic. I like the ability to vertically scroll through apps like on Windows Phone instead of the horizontal scroll like on stock Android. Finding apps in the app drawer is much easier as well. Cortana can be made to be your default assistant if you want.

Adventurer64

Aug 29, 2017
Visit site
I used Arrow Launcher when I was on Android and it was very good. I think it's called Microsoft launcher now. I've seen post on WC for launcher 10 which is a live tile launcher designed to look like W10M. I'll try both when I move back to Android from W10M.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
In my experience, Nova is solid but to get the most benefit, you have to get prime. Evie is great because it's a simple, light launcher. I enjoy it.

Arrow (now Microsoft) Launcher is also light but really good.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Long time Nova Prime user here.
Nova allows me to simplify the look and operation of my phone.
Absolutely love it.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Honestly I always found it counterproductive to try and make one mobile OS like another.

IF you REALLY and truly want to make Android comfortable. stock 'droid is a good start. Unlock the bootloader. Get Xposed Framework and go to town making the device your own.

Just my two cents that expecting Android to look and act like something it isn't leads to frustration.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Honestly I always found it counterproductive to try and make one mobile OS like another.

IF you REALLY and truly want to make Android comfortable. stock 'droid is a good start. Unlock the bootloader. Get Xposed Framework and go to town making the device your own.

Just my two cents that expecting Android to look and act like something it isn't leads to frustration.
I feel the same. I run desktop Linux as well as desktop Windows, and I've never tried to make Linux look like Windows, or vice versa. I've been the same with my Android devices.

Xposed is great if you root your device.

Otherwise I just use Nova Launcher Prime, mainly since I like the gestures it supports, and I use custom icon sets.

Adventurer64

Aug 29, 2017
Visit site
I heartily agree!

I also agree. I was trying to make android function like Win 10 and finally switched to W10M 8 MThs ago. W10M is much better on W10M, haha. Hence my reluctance to go back to android and deal with all the effort to reduce the bloat.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

I feel the same. I run desktop Linux as well as desktop Windows, and I've never tried to make Linux look like Windows, or vice versa. I've been the same with my Android devices.

Xposed is great if you root your device.

Otherwise I just use Nova Launcher Prime, mainly since I like the gestures it supports, and I use custom icon sets.

Well said.

They already said the point but I just wanted to add that I have found better success with achieving the "feel" of Windows if that makes any sense. The simple elegance is one thing I enjoy about the system so I try to find launchers that give me that feeling.

cnashx

Nov 24, 2015
Visit site

I'm not necessarily trying to make android windows. I just enjoyed the look and feel of tiles and if it was robust and speedy then I would love to go that route.
I've been using an iPhone for 6+ months now and I just hate the look and feel of static icons and the boring interface.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm not necessarily trying to make android windows. I just enjoyed the look and feel of tiles and if it was robust and speedy then I would love to go that route.
I've been using an iPhone for 6+ months now and I just hate the look and feel of static icons and the boring interface.

Loved the tiles.

I'm looking to make over my Android actually, but by flashing a completely different OS to the hardware.

Sailfish X is only being sold in the EU at this point. Fortunately, I already have my Sony Xperia X and I'll be in Portugal from October 24 through November 6. I'll probably purchase and download to my 2-in-1 while there and install Sailfish when I get home so I'm not doing shakedown while on vacation.

All gesture driven and the Live Covers are sort of the love child of webOS cards and live tiles. Every app you have open leaves a "cover" and many can be interacted with when minimized. Elegant. I test drove it in the 1.x iterations via ports to Nexus 4. Unlike community ports, this is an official ROM from Jolla with Sony support. Also unlike community ports it will include Alien Dalvik to run Android apps. Privacy forward as well - no Play Services and that's fine by me. I can get apps from Amazon and other sources and for mail/calendar/etc I still prefer Microsoft Services.

cnashx

Nov 24, 2015
Visit site
Loved the tiles.

I'm looking to make over my Android actually, but by flashing a completely different OS to the hardware.

Sailfish X is only being sold in the EU at this point. Fortunately, I already have my Sony Xperia X and I'll be in Portugal from October 24 through November 6. I'll probably purchase and download to my 2-in-1 while there and install Sailfish when I get home so I'm not doing shakedown while on vacation.

All gesture driven and the Live Covers are sort of the love child of webOS cards and live tiles. Every app you have open leaves a "cover" and many can be interacted with when minimized. Elegant. I test drove it in the 1.x iterations via ports to Nexus 4. Unlike community ports, this is an official ROM from Jolla with Sony support. Also unlike community ports it will include Alien Dalvik to run Android apps. Privacy forward as well - no Play Services and that's fine by me. I can get apps from Amazon and other sources and for mail/calendar/etc I still prefer Microsoft Services.

I have been following sailfish for awhile, but I'm still not 100% sold. Can't wait to hear your experience though.

Rinsun

Apr 4, 2016
Visit site
I have been using Android (Motorola phones) since Sept 2016 though I have my Lumia with my secondary sim and Creators Update through Insider Release Preview .I liked the live tiles and week view in Outlook Calendar and many other things but I do not try to make my Android like WM.I had to switch to Android as there was not much support in my country for Windows phones and all utility apps were being developed for Android primarily and then iPhones.
I use Nova Prime because of the gestures and customisation it offers and I like the experience. I have tried other launchers(including Lawnchair) but somehow always go back to Nova.
But someone else might find some other launcher more convenient to use .

Edit - I forgot to mention that I use MS apps on my Android - Outlook, OneDrive, Cortana, OneNote etc.

Last edited:

Keith White Jr

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
When I first switch to Android, I did everything I could to make my Note 4 look and act just like my Lumia. I downloaded SquareHome2 and Textra, but, as time went on, I slowly moved to a more Android like experience, and, now I use Arrow/Microsoft Launcher, and, I even started using "Ok, Google" instead of Cortana.

Double Blue Jay

Dec 14, 2015
Visit site
Launcher 10, hands down. Even has a live tile option, if you pay, of course(its worth it). Makes my Axon 7 the windows phone I always wanted. Best of both worlds IMO.

GendelPrime

Aug 7, 2016
Visit site
if you use Microsoft services then Microsoft launcher is the best choice. If you are just looking for tiles and live tiles then launcher 10.

I use a android phone but the only Google services I use are the play store and YouTube. Everything else is Microsoft launcher, keyboard, email, ect.

Adventurer64

Aug 29, 2017
Visit site
I've been back on android for awhile now and square home 2 is best tile launcher. Setup is more time consuming because options seem endless, but once setup to your liking its very good. I avoid google services like the plague. Mostly run MS services. I don't like MS launcher though. Prefer tiles and vertical home screen scroll like W10M.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss