My frustrating attempt to move to Android.

Mark Kaplan

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I'm trying Android, A Galaxy S8 Plus. It's a hard transition for me, one that I may not be able to maintain. The lack of standard day to day functions that I took for granted on WP just do not exist on Android. Right down to an assistant (Cortana) that allows me to be so functional by voice when driving. I feel like I've taken a HUGE step backwards. Sure, the apps are nice, but what good are they on an OS as unproductive for me as this? I can live without the apps. I cannot live without having what I consider to be basic functions embedded in the OS. Maybe the lack of apps is what prompted MSFT to do this in the first place. I do not feel I will be away much longer. I've just updated both my X3 & 950 XL to the latest build. I miss Cortana. I never thought the transition would be this hard. As primarily a business user, this is horrible,

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Why did you jump to Android?
WM should be solid for a bit longer.

I can see how switching could be very frustrating if you really didn't want to.

Mark Kaplan

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Why did you jump to Android?
WM should be solid for a bit longer.

I can see how switching could be very frustrating if you really didn't want to.

Fair question. I was kind of forced into a move because my diabetic son uses a Dexcom G5 which only has support on iOS or Android. The share app also requires the same. I just cannot deal with the garbage on this os. I may just use the app on wifi and go back to my WP. Pretty expensive to do that but I'm too frustrated. It's been almost a month now.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Ah...
Understood.

I'm on Android as a casual user.
Took a while to settle into the OS.

For me it was about phone choices and different levels of performance.
I wasn't a heavy app user before Android.

Last edited:

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Windows Mobile has more than several outstanding things going for it over the other two platforms. Cortana is one of them. Thanks for sharing your experience. I love Cortana. Don't use it near as much as you I think, and I'm kind of afraid to (not to become to dependent on it). When I do, it does all I need and does it well. Messaging sync is convenient and other sync items are a must and helpful. Hope you manage to get where you need to be with your mobile experience :).

JeevanP

Oct 12, 2017
Visit site
They are many things I still miss after switching to a android,Such as the outlook mail and calender and keyboard. But still sometimes I boot up my 640XL and think what it would've been if Microsoft is still committed to mobile.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
IMHO, switching to Samsung is a tactical error. They clutter a phone with so much useless, extra, stultifying, overkill add-on un-necessary-ness.

For me, the closer to stock Android I am the happier I am with the device.

[/mytwocents]

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
IMHO, switching to Samsung is a tactical error. They clutter a phone with so much useless, extra, stultifying, overkill add-on un-necessary-ness.

[/mytwocents]

Hence my decision to go Pixel 2 XL for my Android adventure.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Hence my decision to go Pixel 2 XL for my Android adventure.

While the Pixel is a great choice, Samsung does a fine job as well with their smartphones. I had that same attitude until I actually used one. There is a reason they are a top vendor. And no, it is not entirely due to marketing! :smile:

Wolfjt

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site

[/mytwocents]
I think the bloatware issue is overblown. Anyone can change the launcher and disable any app they don't use. I don't see bloatware as problem. I'm on the S8 and I just disable what I don't want. There is so much to like about the phone the positives outweigh the negatives by a long shot

Elky64

Jun 2, 2017
Visit site
I think the bloatware issue is overblown. Anyone can change the launcher and disable any app they don't use. I don't see bloatware as problem. I'm on the S8 and I just disable what I don't want. There is so much to like about the phone the positives outweigh the negatives by a long shot

Never had a problem with my GS7/GS7 Edge nor our LG G4 w/bloatware in that it became too intrusive. And exactly that, enable/disable what you want.

Today I'm using my L950 because I can, was just updated yesterday to 1709. Yes it works just OK for the basics but talk about going back in time, absolutely no comparison to my Droids going by my experience. Seen many complaints about the "extra" steps it takes to perform tasks on Android and that couldn't be further from the truth from where I sit.

I really like the phone (950) in feel and design and the OS's aesthetics but beyond that, it fails miserably on so many fronts under daily usage - and that's not even factoring in the app-gap yet. And albeit slower, my 830 and 650 mirror just about every annoyance that our 950 brings to the table. So Android is my preferred platform now with my wife's being iOS.

Mark Kaplan

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Never had a problem with my GS7/GS7 Edge nor our LG G4 w/bloatware in that it became too intrusive. And exactly that, enable/disable what you want.

Today I'm using my L950 because I can, was just updated yesterday to 1709. Yes it works just OK for the basics but talk about going back in time, absolutely no comparison to my Droids going by my experience. Seen many complaints about the "extra" steps it takes to perform tasks on Android and that couldn't be further from the truth from where I sit.

I really like the phone (950) in feel and design and the OS's aesthetics but beyond that, it fails miserably on so many fronts under daily usage - and that's not even factoring in the app-gap yet. And albeit slower, my 830 and 650 mirror just about every annoyance that our 950 brings to the table. So Android is my preferred platform now with my wife's being iOS.

I think it all depends on what you do on your phone. What your requirements are. I do a lot of driving. Cortana made that safe with embedded functionality in the OS. I have yet to find even a 3rd party Android app that can do everything she did for me. Even the basics of reading and replying to texts without my having to interact with the screen at all.

cnashx

Nov 24, 2015
Visit site
I am really enjoying my Essential PH-1, but I do miss the Bluetooth functionality of WM.
I have tried to go "all in" on android and use chrome, ok google, gmail, etc. and am doing pretty well with it. The stock launcher has really good baked in ok google stuff so it doesn't make sense to switch to Cortana right now.

If you find something that brings the Bluetooth features (specifically for driving) that WM/Cortana had let us know.

My truck doesn't have android auto without a $1,000 upgrade to two modules since they released it the following year after I purchased the truck, but I am wondering if that works?

Elky64

Jun 2, 2017
Visit site
I think it all depends on what you do on your phone. What your requirements are. I do a lot of driving. Cortana made that safe with embedded functionality in the OS. I have yet to find even a 3rd party Android app that can do everything she did for me. Even the basics of reading and replying to texts without my having to interact with the screen at all.

Oh I don't disagree that each user's requirements will differ which may or may may not be obtainable on some devices, or at least not in the way many expect.

Other than for navigational purposes never use a phone in my car as most things can wait, even then my physical co-pilot takes control. Cortana has never proven to be useful to me as she rarely gets it right or can't do it at all, suspect MSFT is STILL working on my region. "OK Google"/Google Assistant" has proven to be the best out of the three platforms where my world is concerned.

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site

[/mytwocents]
I totally agree, especially for a new Android user.
Personally, I've used stock Android and a skinned Android OS, and I understand why both exist. Right now, I'm using a heavily skinned Huawei device, but my next Android purchase will be stock I think. As far as bloatware goes, I kind of agree with another post above. Anything that I don't use that I can't remove or stop is bloatware to me. But, as long as it doesn't eat up a lot of storage or slow down performance, bloatware doesn't really bother me. I've never used a Samsung Android device, so I can't comment on the state of bloatware on their phones. Huawei usually has a ton, though. Most of it can be deleted, so it's never been a big deal.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I totally agree, especially for a new Android user.
Personally, I've used stock Android and a skinned Android OS, and I understand why both exist. Right now, I'm using a heavily skinned Huawei device, but my next Android purchase will be stock I think. As far as bloatware goes, I kind of agree with another post above. Anything that I don't use that I can't remove or stop is bloatware to me. But, as long as it doesn't eat up a lot of storage or slow down performance, bloatware doesn't really bother me. I've never used a Samsung Android device, so I can't comment on the state of bloatware on their phones. Huawei usually has a ton, though. Most of it can be deleted, so it's never been a big deal.
I've used both stock Android and skinned Android. Right now I'm using an LG V20. However, I've always used Nova Launcher Prime on all my Android devices. I've never had a Samsung device either, but plenty of my family and friends do, and they don't have issues with bloatware or lag.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
My Huawei had Alexa pre-installed.
At first I had it hidden...then I started using it and it's somewhat amazing.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3