A sad day...finally giving up on Windows Phone :(

Jcmg62

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
7 years of highs and lows are coming to an end. My Lumia 950 has been giving me all kinds of issues and my backup Lumia 1520 has developed some serious audio issues. It's time to move on. I'm gutted and feel forced into this by Microsoft. Maybe one day the surface phone will launch and I'll be back. But until then.....

I've ordered a OnePlus 5T. I have zero experience with Android.

Are there any users who have switched to the OnePlus? Have I done the right thing?

charlatan1978

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
Hi, I moved to Android this year after about 6 years with various Windows Phones.
I'm using a WileyFox Swift 2x, a mid to low end phone, but my experience (since June) so far has been positive.
Performance for every day tasks is decent and battery life is also great.
The OnePlus phones have decent reviews, so I think you have done the right thing in the current market.

Elky64

Jun 2, 2017
Visit site
7 years of highs and lows are coming to an end. My Lumia 950 has been giving me all kinds of issues and my backup Lumia 1520 has developed some serious audio issues. It's time to move on. I'm gutted and feel forced into this by Microsoft. Maybe one day the surface phone will launch and I'll be back. But until then.....

I've ordered a OnePlus 5T. I have zero experience with Android.

Are there any users who have switched to the OnePlus? Have I done the right thing?

Only you can answer that question "Have I done the right thing?". And giving Android an honest go is the only way for you to know.

Have you tried restoring your Windows Phones as new (hard reset w/o back ups) to see if that helps any?

Got to admit my Windows Phone's haven't been stellar (bugs, annoyances, inconsistencies) yet can't say any appear to be crapping out like many others appear to insinuate at times on here. You'd think restoring would at least bring some life back into them.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Switched...no not unless I absolutely have to...I keep rotating Lumias and other Windows phones to use...so for it is best and gives more piece of mind to repair or replace cheaply my current Windows phones then to buy a brand new Android.

Used a OnePlus yes, more than several I have owned..OP3 OP3T OP5 and I currently have a OPO that I use for testing.

OnePlus 5T in my view and recent reads about it is a good piece of phone for the money. The OS and OS Skin (OxygenOS) are decent and make the Android experience better than other Chinese made hardware type phones. DTTW, dark theme, and EQ and even night mode should all be baked in. Yet it is not the Lumia or Microsoft Windows experience of course but it can be made to be somewhat like it I hear...

kaktus1389

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
Good luck! I almost had a heart attack when I thought that something got between the camera lens and the glass covering it on my 950, but apparently, it was just a condensed drop of water. I was thinking of leaving months ago but I decided to stay since my needs for a phone don't require latest and greatest apps, I just need a few apps that work fine and until those are supported, I won't be switching. I bought a second battery just in case the current one fails me, so hopefully, I will be good to go until 2019 or even 2020.
Also good choice with OnePlus, I had a Huawei for a week and Huawei's Emui is just not acceptable for me - OnePlus is really close to stock Android as others have already mentioned, so I guess it shouldn't be that hard to get used to it (I had a number of glitches when I was using Microsoft's launcher and their lock screen app for Android on the Huawei).

naddy6969

Aug 8, 2017
Visit site
Don’t think of this as a “sad day”.

It is a happy day. You are finally emerging from the dark ages. You are escaping from the wilderness. You are re-entering civilization. Society. You are no longer an outcast.

I did this 2 years ago. Started with Android phones and tablets. Then moved on to iPhones and iPads this year. Am happy now. My only regret is that I waited so long to make the move. Windows phones/tablets are just a bad memory now.

Yes Virginia, there IS life after Windows.

Adventurer64

Aug 29, 2017
Visit site
It's been almost 3 months since I've switched back to android and although I miss W10M, I'm satisfied with my LG V20. I disabled or uninstalled apps I don't use and substituted Google apps and services as much as possible. I started with Microsoft launcher and didn't like it, so I've been using squarehome2 launcher which is closer to W10M. I'm also waiting for the mythical Surface Phone.

Jcmg62

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Morning Elky64 :)

Yup, I've tried it all with both phones....hard resets, soft resets, etc.

My Lumia 950 has a brand new Microsoft stock battery in it but just randomly shuts down, screen flickers, won't open apps properly. In all honesty it's probably just bugs that will eventually iron out with every hard reset, but I just can't see the point of carrying on with an operating system that needs countless hard resets.

The 1520 is suffering serious hardware issues. The microphone doesn't work, the 3.5mm jack doesn't work and the battery is degraded. It's over 4 years old and has had a long a productive life.

I'm just stunned that Windows10Mobile is still so buggy 2 years after it was launched.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site

My Lumia 950 has a brand new Microsoft stock battery in it but just randomly shuts down, screen flickers, won't open apps properly. In all honesty it's probably just bugs that will eventually iron out with every hard reset, but I just can't see the point of carrying on with an operating system that needs countless hard resets.

The 1520 is suffering serious hardware issues. The microphone doesn't work, the 3.5mm jack doesn't work and the battery is degraded. It's over 4 years old and has had a long a productive life.

I'm just stunned that Windows10Mobile is still so buggy 2 years after it was launched.

Which bugs still remain that you are experiencing with the Operating System?

G4Grandad

Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
My L830 does all the same things as your 950, and with a new genuine Nokia battery. I've tried everything except a hard reset. For me I see no point in trying that because even if it works the phone can take between 8 and 36 hours to turn itself on and install the monthly patch updates after they've downloaded. I use the phone when it works and I love it. But my main phone is now Android. Microsoft apps work really well on Android, often better than on the Lumia but I'll never stop using it while it (sort of) works. The screen has been flickering and blacked out a dozen times while typing this

digitaldd

May 16, 2016
Visit site
I will say this as someone who uses an Android phone for work (a cheap one that doesn't get any security updates ever, because the company i work for won't allow Windows mobile devices access to our corporate office365) I will say this though you can install all of the Microsoft apps from the Windows phone world I believe, many like the News/Sports/weather/money are different and in my eyes inferior in how they present stuff to you.

Cortana on android seems to have more features but they become somewhat less useful due to the fact that the app cannot integrate as Tightly into the OS. Outlook on Android is better than the version in Windows mobile but if you have problems with it you will be annoyed at how many times you may need to remove the app, & its data then reinstall the app and re-link your accounts, only to find messages/contacts/calendar items missing.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
For you guys with the what seems are having hardware issues, have you ever dropped your phone (not cracking the screen obviously) on a hard surface? Over time the components can shift and touch or dislodge causing issues like black screens and other phenomenon-like problems. An LCD blacking out does not seem like a software glitch to me...but it could be if running outdated software I suppose. Apps not working on the other hand is a whole other can of worms to say...

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
I have the 3T. You'll probably need some time to adjust to the change. I was always used the android environment (due to having to help everyone with software issues) so it wasn't huge leap for me to make the full switch. You should def think about a launcher. While I like the native launcher the OP has, I still tend to throw the microsoft launcher on my phones. Another popular one is nova.

The 5T ships with 7.1.1 which in my opinion is pretty decent. I currently have 8.0 on mine

Last edited:

Elky64

Jun 2, 2017
Visit site

Humm don't sound good. Have you tried using Microsoft's Windows Device Recovery Tool for your 950? Might be worth one last try if you're so inclined.

Your 1520 definitely seems to be more hardware related and like you said, tis 4+ years old and was productive over that period. Only had 2 phones ever to encounter hardware issues, my Ativ S with it's SIM tray and our 1020's camera, think it was just a coincidence they happened to be both Windows phones - both did get fixed.

Agree with you on the countless hard resets as that is one of my main gripes w/Windows Phone. Having owned several Androids for the past few years now and only having to do 2-3 resets in that period has been a very nice change. Been a while since we refreshed our 950 just applying updates as they come, can't honestly say there's been much in the way of noticeable improvements but neither have things gotten any worse - rarely use though so tough to really gauge as a whole.

If you are finding Windows Phone's challenges daunting and not living up to your expectations then it surely might be time to try something else. There's lots of good options out there and think your decision to purchase the OnePlus 5T is a good one. Should be plenty fast compared to what you were used to w/Windows Phone.

Anyhow best of luck with your endeavours and hope you enjoy your OnePlus 5T.

Jcmg62

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Which bugs still remain that you are experiencing with the Operating System?

Hi Nate, the most frustrating bug is what I can best describe as a call screen fault.

When I make or receive a phone call and then remove the device from my ear the screen is black. If I press the start button a few times it might wake the screen....sometimes. So I have no way of ending the call. That's super frustrating. I had the same issues when I updated my 1520 from windows 8 to 10. That kind of bug should have been sorted out a long time ago.

Edge also seems to have developed some issues. Trying to open a webpage can take upward of 40-50 seconds. Sometimes the page won't open at all.

Battery issues: I'm on my third new battery in my 950 in just two years. Never owned a phone that's needed so many new batteries.

Outlook. At least once a month it'll tell me its syncing my email and will just stop receiving new messages. The only way around it is to delete the account and start again.

I'm not a windows hater. I truly love the platform and I've absolutely loved every windows phone. But Andromeda is coming. I run my own little business and need a reliable phone. My Lumia 950 just isn't reliable.

I'm really going to miss continuum though. I LOVE continuum and use it 6-8 hours a day. I so wished that Microsoft stuck with continuum

Jcmg62

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Humm don't sound good. Have you tried using Microsoft's Windows Device Recovery Tool for your 950? Might be worth one last try if you're so inclined.

Your 1520 definitely seems to be more hardware related and like you said, tis 4+ years old and was productive over that period. Only had 2 phones ever to encounter hardware issues, my Ativ S with it's SIM tray and our 1020's camera, think it was just a coincidence they happened to be both Windows phones - both did get fixed.

Agree with you on the countless hard resets as that is one of my main gripes w/Windows Phone. Having owned several Androids for the past few years now and only having to do 2-3 resets in that period has been a very nice change. Been a while since we refreshed our 950 just applying updates as they come, can't honestly say there's been much in the way of noticeable improvements but neither have things gotten any worse - rarely use though so tough to really gauge as a whole.

If you are finding Windows Phone's challenges daunting and not living up to your expectations then it surely might be time to try something else. There's lots of good options out there and think your decision to purchase the OnePlus 5T is a good one. Should be plenty fast compared to what you were used to w/Windows Phone.

Anyhow best of luck with your endeavours and hope you enjoy your OnePlus 5T.

Thank you :) I'm still going to be visiting windows central everyday and cannot way for that foldable Andromeda.....going to be first in line when that bad boy arrives. I will return to a windows mobile solution just as soon as Microsoft makes one :)

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
This is sad to hear, but completely understandable. Why whilst over Christmas, with just my X3, I wanted to practice some Java programming. But there is no IDE application available for me to use. Well, there are ones, but they have bugs and the developer never responds. So I ended up using my wife's iPhone instead. Unless someone here knows of a Java IDE that works on Windows Phone?

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
I made the switch to Android I guess 6 weeks ago now. So far, I miss W10M but getting a long fine without it. Its kind of weird, I spend so much less time on Windows Central now and apparently discovered I only use to come here to get news on WPs. lol

The thing (for me) I've also noticed is I'm using less and less Microsoft stuff (again, this is why MS was so dumb dropping a mobile OS before having another one). but, that is MS's loss, not mine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss