We are unable to confirm the media usage rights for this content

pmeester

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Hi All,
I did have exactly the same problem. Microsoft support solved it very rapidly.
So I advise you to contact support and explain your situation. I choose to contact support using the chat service.
Good luck!
Paul

Biocelluloid

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
I was able to get all my music to play properly by changing the date to two or higher days in the future, however it meant the Microsoft account wouldn't sync. Changing the date back to normal meant the problem immediately returned.

x I'm tc

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
This will be no help to those wedded to Xbox music, but I just wanted to let everyone know that there is an (arguably better) alternative out there in the form of Rhapsody. Their WP app was awful until a few weeks ago, but they just updated it and it is really fantastic now. Rhapsody also works with many, many more devices than Xbox music (like my TiVo and my Blu-ray player) so it's a better deal overall.

Tainted Clone

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
I was able to get all my music to play properly by changing the date to two or higher days in the future, however it meant the Microsoft account wouldn't sync. Changing the date back to normal meant the problem immediately returned.

So do you think in two days you will be back to normal?

Edit: just changed my date to a few days later still nothing, then changed it to a year later and still nothing

Going to get in touch with support later and see what they say.

Last edited:

Tainted Clone

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Ended up get in touch with support last night (online), explained the problem, got transferred to another advisor who new more about zune.and DRM

They got me to restart phone and check that the date and time was correct, then sync the microsoft account in email and account settings. Downloaded a song and got the same message.

Then they said they were going to "pause" the subscription for a few minutes and restart it in the hope that it would refresh itself. Restarted phone, checked time/date and synced account again, still the same. Was then told that we only had one option left, a hard reset. So did the reset and when everything was back up downloaded another song and it played back fine.

So I am able to play music on the move again but had to redownload all my apps and obviously lost all the settings for them and any progress on games.

Biocelluloid

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
Hooray, my "Trial to Paid" DRM errors have ceased. After trying all the other "fixes" mentioned with no success and not wanting to do a hard reset, I just ended up waiting and finally after 9 days all my music plays again.

ChrisLynch

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
I'd like to point out that this issue isn't just about whether or not your Zune Pass/Xbox Music Pass is current. If you use the Windows Phone 8 Sync tool, the DRM gets screwed up on the WP8 device. Why do I know this? Because if you delete the track or album and download from the store directly to your device, it plays just fine. I emplore those that have issues like this, or this exact issue, please visit the Microsoft Answers forums (specifically this thread: Master List Of Issues With XBox Music On WP8 - Microsoft Community) and provide your comments. Do read the first post, and comment in the other threads it links to, and PLEASE do click on the "ME TOO" link a the first thread instructs.

jrlive

Mar 6, 2013
Visit site
Same issue for me.

I contacted MS support via chat who advised that it is an issue with Nokia phones only.

She tried a few things including getting me to 'sync' my microsoft account, and also deleted my subscription completely then sent me a 1 month coupon code for activation.

None of this worked and the only solution given was to perform a hard reset - which I was not going to do as there is no true backup for WP8 - only a basic download same apps again feature.

Like some others on this thread though, I waited a few days and it just started working again. My access stopped working on 2 Feb and my subscription was due for renewal on 3 Feb. It started working today 6 Feb so took about 4 days.

Best of luck to others and yet another reason why I can't recommend this service to others - will just have to keep waiting for Spotify.

I think MS Support fed you a load of BS on this. The issue is not even phone related, it is directly linked to the music pass subscription and affects all devices - windows desktop, tablet and phone.
My trial on music pass ended today and I have just run into the same issue on my desktop , tablet and lumia 920. Downloaded music no longer plays but streaming is fine. I suspect this is something to with a Microsoft batch process that they run to update trials to paid accounts, which is why some people are reporting the problem going away after a couple of days. I am going to sit tight and see whether this clears itself rather than focusing on phone resets etc. THIS IS NOT A PHONE ISSUE

jrlive

Mar 6, 2013
Visit site
So I have spoken to Microsoft support about this and they fixed my problem. All downloaded music is now playing fine on W8 and WP8.

I spoke through IM with their support team and they were excellent. They understood the problem, admitted that the conversion of a 1 month trial to the paid membership is the issue and asked for permission to cancel my current membership, which I gave. They then refunded the monthly fee and asked me to set up a new account 'after the next 30 minutes'. My phone details were taken and I was given a ticket number and sent an email confirming who I spoke with and that they will be looking into my account to get this fixed. 24hrs later everything is fine.

The service, in terms of clarity about what would happen next and the sense they were making a real effort to have me do as little as possible to resolve the issue, was first class. Really happy that this issue is fixed. My advice to anyone on a trial is to cancel it before it ends and take out a brand new paid subscription. If you already facing the issue contact xbox live support and they will fix it for you - and they are not pretending this is not an issue!

Well done Miscrosoft - I can live with glitches if the company I buy from are willing to do what they can to sort the situation quickly.

Rachael Campisi

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
I also got in touch with the XBox support people through chat. My free trial ended today (I was downloading and listening just fine last night)... and all of the sudden today none of my downloaded music would play. After reading these posts I contacted the support. I explained the problem and also referenced this thread (and the advice to wait a few days/that the problem seems to be with the subscription). They asked a few questions to get a better understanding, and then said they agreed it was a subscription problem and would cancel my current charges and I could renew once I saw the cancellation on my account. The turnover was really fast (about 10 minutes later I had a refund for the recent 1 month pass). I bought another one month pass and powered my phone off for about 3 minutes. Now everything works!!! All of my previous downloads work as well as new ones. The support I got was so great and I recommend this as the #1 solution for anyone having this problem, rather than just waiting it out (which probably works too, but is just annoying). I am very impressed with Microsoft's ability to address this problem quickly!

KHROMAsynthetik

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Hi all,

I've been having this DRM issue for almost a week now - in my frustration I posted a new thread about it on the 18th, rather than searching for similar issues. I'll repost here what I typed up on the 18th:

I was trying to download a couple of albums on Tuesday night, and about halfway through, something went wrong; it stopped the downloads, said it couldn't access the store, and the tracks that did make it through wouldn't play - they gave me the good old media usage rights error (no error code). I am able to access the store now, but since Tuesday night I've not been able to play any of my downloaded XBM content. I can still stream, and, bizarrely, download. So I can download a track, but not play it. Brilliant.

After trying a soft-reset about four or five times to no avail, I spoke to live support yesterday, and the guy told me that it's because my free trial ran out. So I told him I've been subbing for over two years, since it was Zune Pass (and my sub simply carried over), and that I've had no problems since the first few days of my Lumia 920 ownership last November. Now, none of this is new to me, as I'm sure it's not new to anyone else. What is new (to me, at least) is how the support guy tried to solve the issue. He asked me to set the date to a week ahead, reset the phone, and then try and play my downloaded content. Amazingly, it worked. he told me to leave the date set to the (near) future for an hour or two, then switch it back and it should be fine, and the live chat ended.

I left it about three or four hours, set the date back to the 17th, aaaaand... no dice. It gives me the DRM error. Then I can set it back to a week ahead and it works again. WTF!? I tried a few more soft-resets, reboots, and messing around with the dates all evening yesterday, all to no avail. If I set the date one day ahead, it doesn't work. If I set the date six days ahead, it doesn't work. If I set the date three weeks ahead, it doesn't work. The phone will only play back the downloaded content if the date is set exactly one week ahead. What kind of sense does this make? Has anyone else had this issue?

So to today. I just got out of another live chat with support, and they told me that I need to give it a week for the issue to resolve. This means I can't access the store or get calendar/Me tile notifications for a week. On the plus side, according to my phone, today is my birthday. Where are all my presents!?

So, here's my question(s): Has anyone else experienced this date issue? And did it resolve by itself? I don't really want to factory restore my phone if I don't have to, but I also don't want to have a somewhat-useless phone for a week. I'm not sure what to do, and of course, there's no guarantee either path will actually work. Any ideas?

[Also, a quick question on the backup feature - I've never used it. What will be saved and what will I lose if I decide to backup and then restore the phone? I have a lot of images saved to the phone from the net (for lockscreen wallpapers and the like) - do they get automatically backed up, or would I have to manually upload them all to SD? Also, where do the backups go? Are they user-accessible?]

Apologies for the wall of text, I really didn't feel like rewriting it all. In the days since, I've removed my Lumia 920 as an XBM device, then reinstated it, and now it won't play downloaded music no matter the date. I can still stream/download though. I've just read through this whole thread and tried the suggestions some other posters have offered, and they haven't worked. I don't know what to do really. I've had the date set back to the actual date for the last three or four days, as it's just a PITA to have no access to the store, not have my emails sync, not be able to use my calendar etc. But all the screwing around with the dates seems to have messed up my text messages as well - I get notifications for messages that don't appear in my inbox (forcing me to ask people to resend them), and I get notifications for texts that I've sent to others, texts are all out of sequence, it's a mess.

I still don't want to factory reset, so I'm waiting 'til tomorrow (when one week will be up), then if it's still not working, I'm getting back on support to (respectfully) complain. I don't really like complaining, but I'm paying money for a service I can't use properly.

Apologies for the massive rant, but I'm just so frustrated :(

KHROMAsynthetik

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Back on live support chat... They're going to block my account for an hour and see if it 'refreshes'. If that doesn't work, my only option is a hard reset. I've been unable to use my sub for 9 days now!

KHROMAsynthetik

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Right, I don't know if anyone is still reading this thread, but I thought I'd provide an update.

The step outlined in my above post did not work, so it was escalated to the engineer/tech/whatever team, who eventually informed me that it is a known error (thanks for that) and that the team are working on it. I replied asking if there was a chance a hard reset would not rectify the issue, and whether there was a timeframe for a fix. I just got this as a reply:

This issue should be resolved with a new update, which is coming soon but I do not have the exact date of it.

Doing a hard reset of the phone may not help in this situation. I am not 100% sure if this can help you, so I cannot suggest to do it.

We will be in touch with you as soon as we get more information regarding upcoming update and let you know about it.

If however you reset the phone, please let us know of the result.

I guess this is all old news, but there you are.

Sari_M

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
Similar DRM problems have plagued me for several months now. I've been able to download music using the Xbox Music pass directly on the phone, but music I've downloaded on the PC and transferred to the phone (Lumia 920) via an usb cable will not play (because of the metadata apocalypse I will never ever under no conditions put the cloud sync or connect to Xbox Music on again until I have a sure proof that they have corrected it). I have gone through all the steps that KHROMAsynthetic explained: first trying out the tricks presented on the forum, soft-reseted countless times, messed around with dates and times, re-synced my Microsoft account, etc.; then chatting with the support and finally speaking on the phone, the support trying to force my account to refresh, all that. And finally getting the answer that this is a known problem and technicians are working on it and the next update will solve the issue, etc. etc.

I let my music pass expire about a week ago. Meanwhile I had to do a hard reset on my phone for other reasons, so I thought maybe things with Xbox Music might have cleared up as a side effect. So I gave the pass another go. But with no avail :unhappy: . Renewing the subscription after a pause didn't help, even a hard-reset didn't help. Still getting the "unable to confirm the media rights" message. So hard-reseting is useless for solving this problem.

Xbox Music is like an abusive boyfriend. He cheats on you, he beats you, he's totally unreliable. But still you return because... if it worked, it would be sooo marvellous.

KHROMAsynthetik

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
I understand your frustration, and it's awful that after a hard reset it still didn't work. There must be some serious problems with this service behind the scenes - I wonder if all the problems arose when it became Xbox Music - did anyone have any problems when it was Zune Pass on WP7? I know I didn't, for over two years.

Anyway - I tried to play a downloaded song in bed late last night, and after two weeks of nothing working at all, it miraculously played. I've just downloaded a couple of albums to test them out and they seem to be playing as well. I don't know whether to be rejoicing in the streets or wary that it might stop working at any moment! I feel like I can't trust it to keep working, though I'm very glad it is. I can't help but wonder why it would suddenly start working again after more than two weeks. Maybe I'll fire off another email to support and ask if they happened to flick a switch last night...

I hope it gets resolved for Sari_M and everyone else that has this issue, and hopefully Microsoft can actually fix the service.

Ratros

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
Same problem here. I contacted Microsoft consumer support and got fairly different answers.
XBOX team says that 1) it has nothing to do with the phone, 2) it only happens when users transit from trial period to regular subscription and 3) the only available solution is to hard-reset your phone. Windows Phone teams says that 1) the problem can be tracked back to several defects, from the phone's OS to Microsoft's servers. 2) They have sent a team for further investigation and it may take longer than expected for the patch to come. 3)Try deleting your browsing history, or removing your device from the Music device management interface on XBOX.com. If it still doesn't work, reset your phone.

Sari_M

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
Finally this morning none of my Xbox Music Pass music on the phone wouldn't play. Not music I downloaded directly on the phone, not music that previously had worked. I contacted Windows Phone support and they suggested a hard-reset. I assume the person there saw my previous history with fighting this problem. Now I'm pondering another hard-reset, that would be the third one on this phone. Or should I switch back to Spotify... but I've used it quite a lot and I don't like it... it really is not easy to be a music aficionado with a Windows Phone.

On the other hand, with KHROMAsynthetik everything suddenly started to work, which would point to the problem having nothing to do with the phone at all but rather with Microsoft servers. Maybe better wait for a few days.

KHROMAsynthetik

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
@Ratros

I was also told to try a hard reset, but I made it clear that I didn't want to unless absolutely necessary. They conceded the point that it might not fix the issue, and as Sari_M has noted, a hard reset hasn't fixed it for them. I tried literally everything except a hard reset, and nothing worked. Then one day, after about two weeks of DRM issues, it suddenly started working. I can't explain it.

@Sari_M

Honestly, I was amazed when it just started working. Nothing had worked for two weeks, and I had just decided to try and forget about it, so it was certainly nothing I did that made it work. I can only assume that MS are constantly tinkering with things behind the scenes and happened to correct my issue.

I understand the frustration everyone's having with XBM, because when it works it's a fantastic service. It really needs to work, without issue, for everyone.

I hope MS can fix it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos