Considering getting Xbox music pass, have a few questions.

cgold1

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
So I'm getting tired of waiting for Spotify to be rereleased for Windows Phone 8 and am considering just going for Xbox music pass but I am not sure if it fits my needs, can anyone who uses it answer a few questions about it.

First off, I use a Mac as my home computer and since there is no mac Xbox music app everything I would need to do would have to be done directly on my phone.

Can I download files to my phone for offline music playback? I mostly listen to music in the subway where I have no data connection so this is absolutely necessary for me.

Also, if I remember correctly you get to keep 5 songs a month permanently, is it possible to select which songs you want to keep directly on your phone or through a web browser? (as mentioned before I can't get an Xbox music app for my computer)

Any answers to these questions would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
You get unlimited music downloads for offline listening.

And it used to be 10 DRM free downloads during the Zune days but that's over now.

cgold1

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, I'm trying it out now. I like how it seems to integrate with normal songs well. But for some reason it always leaves the music app when I try to click into a downloaded album, is that normal?

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, I'm trying it out now. I like how it seems to integrate with normal songs well. But for some reason it always leaves the music app when I try to click into a downloaded album, is that normal?

Not sure what you mean. The Album should show up in your "music" list in the music hub.

cgold1

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
It shows up but if I click on an album that is downloaded from Xbox music it just starts playing the first song and goes to the home screen. Also If I click on the name of a playing song after hitting the volume key it just says loading for a few seconds and then goes back to whatever window was in.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
It shows up but if I click on an album that is downloaded from Xbox music it just starts playing the first song and goes to the home screen. Also If I click on the name of a playing song after hitting the volume key it just says loading for a few seconds and then goes back to whatever window was in.

Hmm, that doesn't seem like normal behavior. Have you talked to anyone at WP support?

cgold1

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Did a soft reset again this morning and its working correctly now. For some reason soft resets didn't work last night, anyway thanks for your help.

asmith02

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
So I'm getting tired of waiting for Spotify to be rereleased for Windows Phone 8 and am considering just going for Xbox music pass but I am not sure if it fits my needs, can anyone who uses it answer a few questions about it.

I too was sick of waiting for Spotify and signed up to xbox music pass.

Good features:
- solid integration to OS
- great display and album art
- extensive music category
- fast downloads (seems faster than spotify or itunes)

Problems
- Biggest by far is inability to create and modify playlists apart from hack to add to now playing queue. Like you I use a mac so if there is also no way to create playlists via the web - at least that would be slightly better. It baffles me that this was left of the release and for this reason alone I will switch back to Spotify when it is available.
- Streaming music is poor quality compared to downloads, again spotify allows setting of quality of streaming audio
- No caching, let me explain - if you listen to a song streaming, you may like it and want to listen again. Provided you have listed to it recently Spotify will play this from a local cache rather than fetch each time. Great for skipping songs with no delay and adds to the general usability

In summary, to me xbox music pass works well if you consider it as an unlimited *download* music service. If you preplan and download albums onto your phone it is a good experience (excluding playlist limitations). If you use it like spotify as a streaming service you are in for a lot of pain

nathanb131

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I've been testing the rhapsody beta for a week or so and that's a great option for us. Posting this from my phone and don't know how to copy links to other threads but I posted the beta invite link under 'xbox music' threads.

I've been a longtime rhapsody customer and really don't understand why it's never mentioned along with Spotify, rdo, etc. Imho it gives you the same features and for me offers the most complete solution.

Was really excited about Xbox music but am annoyed that it's not good at syncing playlists and also really annoyed that it doesn't run on win7 or a web browser.

Offline syncing is great but only by song or album? So if I want to add a song to my 'workout' playlist I have to manually do it on each device? I guess I assumed that 'all your music, everywhere' meant universal access to my library AND curated playlists.

With rhapsody, if I add or remove a song from a playlist on web or the PC app, that change is reflected on my phone. Also the new version lets me save music offline by album, song, genre mix (like Nokia music), and by PLAYLIST!

I have access to the same exact library/playlist on PC, browser, phone, Xbox...oh and I can also sync rented music to an old school mp3.

What I wanted was what MS claimed Xbox music would be. Cloud storage of my library plus unlimited rental in one place. It's not there yet. It has occurred to me that almost every song I own is available through streaming services with very few exceptions. So if I'm paying $10/mo to rent, does it really matter if I'm listening to my copy or the rented copy of any particular song? The most important thing to me is new music discovery and curating playlists over time(with offline listening of course). Rhapsody gives me the best of that. If they release the official app before Spotify, consider giving them a try. Based on my experience with the beta, you'll be impressed.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Xbox/Zune music is the only music I have ever used since it was released a few years ago on the Zune. I'm used to it and I must say it makes everything easy. Long car rides and rode trips my friends ***** about the music I have stored on my phone so I say "play whatever you want". They aren't used to the concept of literally being able to search and play without ads or downloading or separate apps. They seemed to like it a lot too! Library is synchronized to my pcs and Xbox too!

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
What phone have you got?

I saw something in the WP8 news a day or so ago, about Nokia releasing a similar service through Nokia Music, at about half the price of Xbox Music.

More from your Music – Nokia Conversations : the official Nokia blog
I think the biggest difference is that with Nokia Music you don't seem to be able to single out individual songs or albums to download for unlimited offline listening like you can with Xbox Music. Sure, you can download mixes and skip to your heart's content, but the services differ fairly greatly in that regard.

nathanb131

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I'm glad you are happy with it. I've been aware for a while that it is great. Assumed that Xbox music would build upon it's features. But based on my limited playing around with it and also other threads about it, it would seem they took some big steps back in a few areas. Playlist syncing to mobile being my biggest concern.

If they fix it then I might try it again, but for now it's a big disappointment. Especially considering what they said it would do at the big unveiling in October.

Also family pass would be nice, but that isn't unique to MS. My wife and I can share the same library, playlists, etc with one premiere rhapsody account. But would have to buy two separate Xbox music passes to even use the service on both our winphones and we curate common playlists. I know that's unique to me and not many others. But families using one ecosystem is a huge new market right now.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6