04-21-2014 01:57 PM
73 123
tools
    There is good news... But there are no details. According to Paul at the Windows Supersite, an Xbox Music revamp is coming soon. See below for the quote and link reference.

"By June, we should have a Blue public preview that speaks completely to what Microsoft plans to do, and in June/July other updates, like a complete revamping of the Xbox media services and apps, will occur as well"

http://m.winsupersite.com/windows-8/...th-report-card
    phonohead likes this.
    05-11-2013 11:10 AM
    Wow, and now MS are trying to get iTunes on the Windows 8 platform. Who is in charge of MS music strategy priorities!?
    Microsoft wants an iTunes Windows 8 app but Apple isn't liking the idea | Windows Phone Central
    I have avoided iTunes since it came out. However, if there were an iTunes app for Windows Phone 8, I would jump on it and never look back. Just spent another 2 hours trying to get playlists to sync on my Lumia 820. Another epic fail.
    05-12-2013 02:22 PM
    I don't understand the fuss to be honest...I'm a long time zune pass holder from my zuneHD days...
    There really isn't a need to sync with software...The only time I sync'd with my old Focus and the Zune software was when I was downloading an XAP file as my focus was hacked so I had some nifty non-marketplace apps installed...
    Outside of that there was not much reason to be honest...

With my 920, all my music is listed on my phone and I just play the songs from the cloud...I guess I could download them through the app but I don't see the need....
    Consider yourself lucky I suppose, because my transition from the Zune HD/Windows Phone 7 days to this... this... XBox Music bullcrap has been frustrating enough for me to really want to go to something else from scratch.

I'm on vacation in Croatia right now, trying to use my Lumia 920 to entertain my wife and I on our hotel balcony. I'm connected via WiFi and tried to create a Smart DJ playlist from a My Morning Jacket song, something that used to work awesomely via Zune. Not anymore! It just creates a playlist of a bunch of My Morning Jacket songs. It's basically the same as selecting all the content from one artist and hitting shuffle.

Remember the days when you used to be able to create these Smart DJ lists and actually discover new music? And then you could choose to like or dislike a song and it would take that into consideration in future playlists and recommendations? And your mp3 collection on your computer would actually sync with your phone and then reflect these rankings? This is not some idyllic future I'm talking about. It was in the past!

What a downgrade. And I'm not even getting into the "media usage rights" error that still occasionally rear its ugly head to this day.
    05-17-2013 12:46 PM
    Wholeheartedly agree that WPC needs to be more vocal about how bad this is. If they want to push the MS platform/ecosystem, it needs to get better. By ignoring how flawed and backwards the music experience in on WP/Win8 they are doing the entire brand a disservice.
    05-25-2013 09:23 PM
    Having just come from WP7.5 to WP8, I've gotta say - XBM is a steaming pile.

The little WP sync program is a joke - every time I fire it up it scans, from scratch, the 300GB music library on my server, which takes so long that it's not even close to being a feasible solution. Even creating a local music library didn't do any good - it still wanted to scan the big library, too, and I can't find a way to tell it not to.

Dragging and dropping files shows that the phone app is hypercritical of tagging; heaven forbid if the 'album' tag on a particular song isn't capitalized - it'll just have to be split off as a separate album. Even if you do get everything right, the phone app may check against the cloud and decide that your rip of an imported CD should match the track listing of their domestic CD database, leaving the extra tracks out in cold, in a phantom album of their own.

It's just ridiculous what a step back this is from Zune/WP7.5.
    05-27-2013 02:50 PM
    Remember the days when you used to be able to create these Smart DJ lists and actually discover new music? And then you could choose to like or dislike a song and it would take that into consideration in future playlists and recommendations? And your mp3 collection on your computer would actually sync with your phone and then reflect these rankings? This is not some idyllic future I'm talking about. It was in the past!
    I remember it well... :( I really hope they go back to that model.
    05-27-2013 11:34 PM
    Interesting snippet regarding XBMusic in Windows 8.1:

"Xbox Music

We suspect Microsoft is going to do a deeper dive on this at Build, but for now, here's a primer. All you need to know is that the Xbox Music app has gotten a big makeover so that the emphasis is more on your existing collection, rather than discovering new tracks. By default, your music is organized by artists, albums and songs, though you can, of course, still discover new content if you so choose. In particular, Microsoft said Xbox Music is getting a "Radio" feature, which is said to be like Smart DJ, only better. That's all we know for now -- and it's really not much -- which means Microsoft will almost certainly need to follow up at Build with more details."

http://www.engadget.com/2013/05/30/m...-8-1-unveiled/
    Sari_M and Kevin Rush like this.
    05-30-2013 02:47 PM
    As details of the Xbox blue update are slowly emerging, I've not yet seen one thing on addressing the WP8 sync experience. Has anybody else?

While there are starting to be more mentions of the Xbox Music blue update in articles such as this:

http://m.winsupersite.com/windows-8/blue-xbox-music-20

Some screenshots emerging:

http://microsoft-news.com/wp-content...sic-Radio-1.jp

http://microsoft-news.com/wp-content...usic-Radio.jpg

and even discussed at the end of this video:

Call me pessimistic, but I fear that extreme disappointment is on the horizon, as there is absolutely no mention on a syncing solution whatsoever yet.
    06-19-2013 02:58 AM
    As details of the Xbox blue update are slowly emerging, I've not yet seen one thing on addressing the WP8 sync experience. Has anybody else?

While there are starting to be more mentions of the Xbox Music blue update in articles such as this:

http://m.winsupersite.com/windows-8/blue-xbox-music-20

Some screenshots emerging:

http://microsoft-news.com/wp-content...sic-Radio-1.jp

http://microsoft-news.com/wp-content...usic-Radio.jpg

and even discussed at the end of this video:

Call me pessimistic, but I fear that extreme disappointment is on the horizon, as there is absolutely no mention on a syncing solution whatsoever yet.
    I guess you can't polish a turd!
    06-19-2013 12:25 PM
    Well, if that's the case, im going back to Apple. Yes, they are evil and all that, but I can at least sync my stuff with them.
    06-20-2013 04:36 AM
    It's like WP8 and XBox Music were designed around iTunes users and not Zune/WP7 users. Way to screw your supporters MS!
    07-26-2013 01:11 PM
    I went from a 900 to a 1020. XBM is terrible. Doesn't recognize older ripped MP3s when other programs do, cloud has made duplicates of some songs, and podcast support is utter crap.
    07-28-2013 05:35 PM
    Another gripe for podcasts, why no "keep unplayed" option?
    08-22-2013 09:37 PM
    let Microsoft know how you feel!!

Right from the Start: Xbox Music
    09-09-2013 12:15 PM
    Thanks bguy, just added my own comment.
    09-10-2013 02:39 AM
    let Microsoft know how you feel!!

Right from the Start: Xbox Music

Man! Reading that blog was like listening to a leisure suited, greasy hair comb overed, used car salesman.
    09-12-2013 03:24 PM
    I was watching a comparison video of Xbox Music and Spotify on the IPhone. The guy in the video was going through each of them at the same time and pointing out features. One of the things he showed was the ability to add a song to a playlist. I couldn't believe they have this option on the IPhone and not Windows Phone 8. On Windows Phone 8 you have to create a playlist using the song. I agree that they needed to open the platform up to other phones but you would think we'd have the best experience.
    09-12-2013 09:53 PM
    I'm totally invested in the MS ecosystem. WP7, WP8, W8, W7, Xbox 360, XB Music Pass, etc.. This situation with XBM and WP8 is so pathetic, it's beyond bad... Even the staff at my local Microsoft Store are mystified by how bad this is. Rather than rehash the same well know list of shortcomings with this "service", I have a question.

Does anyone know if it's possible for a 3rd party developer to build a modern UI Zune-like client that will restore the features that worked so well with WP7. I'd gladly pay for a Zune-like software that connected directly to a WP8 and could manage music on the device? Is it possible, or is the music hub in WP8 locked down so that only Microsoft can access it. Since Microsoft is intent on pushing out their own ******* creation that very few users want, this could be a huge opportunity for someone to come in and do this right. Does anyone know about the ability to develop in this area?
    dgr_874 and Felbrigge Psalter like this.
    09-17-2013 09:07 PM
    I'm totally invested in the MS ecosystem. WP7, WP8, W8, W7, Xbox 360, XB Music Pass, etc.. This situation with XBM and WP8 is so pathetic, it's beyond bad... Even the staff at my local Microsoft Store are mystified by how bad this is. Rather than rehash the same well know list of shortcomings with this "service", I have a question.

Does anyone know if it's possible for a 3rd party developer to build a modern UI Zune-like client that will restore the features that worked so well with WP7. I'd gladly pay for a Zune-like software that connected directly to a WP8 and could manage music on the device? Is it possible, or is the music hub in WP8 locked down so that only Microsoft can access it. Since Microsoft is intent on pushing out their own ******* creation that very few users want, this could be a huge opportunity for someone to come in and do this right. Does anyone know about the ability to develop in this area?
    I did have the same question, so I did some research, and I ended up on this topic on XDA developers:
    [APP development]Windows Phone music player - xda-developers

Now, is not exactly possible for a 3rd party developer to build a modern UI Zune-like client, since (as you imagined) the Music Hub is pretty much locked down.
    Luckily, this guy didn't lose the hope and completely went around the Music Hub, writing codecs to read multimedia files and finding a whole lot of workarounds have things working as they should out of the box.
    You can download the app here:
    Ultimate Media Player | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)
    And visit the link on XDA to get the Desktop client needed for SD support.

The result is still pretty far away from anything "Zune-like", but it's still the most complete Media Player I've been able to find on WP8.

Moreover, since Microsoft doesn't look able to fix its own mess anytime soon, I would say that supporting this guy is the best chance we have to get a trouble-free music experience on WP8 before we all switch to Android/iPhone, so give it a shot!
    09-24-2013 12:55 PM
    It's been a while, and things have got worse. But apparently they will be doing bi-weekly updates to the Xbox Music app now and there is a dedicated uservoice site for Xbox Music. I have added a suggestion to fix the lack of Sync functionality that have been there since WP8. Add your votes if it affects you too:

http://xboxmusic.uservoice.com/forum...ds-an-overhaul
    04-18-2014 03:32 AM
    Music player is a joke. I don't have xbox music because I'm on my phone for over 6 months and don't want to bother changing my country to one of only 20-ish cointries that support xbox. If they wanted people to use xbox music then they should've made it worldwide, not THIS limited. I doubt I'll ever buy a wp if this one gets broken.
    I also see no point in forcing online music so much. I have my own collection that I'd like to manage and that I can listen to without wasting my internet (which isn't unlimited)
    04-18-2014 04:26 AM
    Microsoft Sync app is terrible. I've never experienced something so buggy and sad. That guy said he is enthusiastic, notice how he touched his face when he said that. Exactly, he doesn't even believe in it. Microsoft music is as cool as being HIV positive. This will be my last Windows Phone.
    04-19-2014 04:57 PM
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]64035[/ATTACH

]Hopefully the bi-weekly updates we are supposed to start getting will address most of the issues that I have read here on this thread. I am including a screenshot of my start screen before 8.1. I loved the ability vwe had to use MPATool to change the background art of the artist playing and to see it in the Live Tile. I thought the Xbox Music Hub was finally working good and then ...POOF...gone. Zune is never coming back...give up on that guys. But please restore the stability and functionality of the Music Hub!!
    Attached Thumbnails wp_ss_20140406_0003.png  
    04-21-2014 01:57 PM
73 123