Xbox music updated!

dakranii

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Am I wrong in thinking that it now pulls music from the sd card? I got a replacement surface and hadn't bothered redoing the VHD method to get my stored music to show up in the music app, but just checking now, it all shows up.

EDIT: Never mind, doesn't appear to work that way. I don't really get what it's doing. I think it's allowing me to stream through Xbox Music all the songs that are on my SD card. Somehow. When I put the surface into airplane mode, I can't play the songs. But it's showing me the albums I have stored on my sd card. So somehow that got saved into my settings and now I can stream those songs through Xbox music? I'm confused.

Last edited:

red grenadine

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
Am I wrong in thinking that it now pulls music from the sd card? I got a replacement surface and hadn't bothered redoing the VHD method to get my stored music to show up in the music app, but just checking now, it all shows up.

If true, this is awesome. I had such an issue trying to get this on my laptop (SD card inserted) initially.

Narse77

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
Re: Update to Music App, Finally Manage Your Cloud Collection!

Noticed this when I got into work this morning and got the updates on my laptop. This is great news and now I have all the music I added with my PC and laptop on my phone. Super happy! :-D

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site

TrophyNostalgia

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
Finally Xbox Music sees some vast improvements compared to it's previously very weak state (downloaded update today). Your own collection has now many added organizational functions through various categories. I could be wrong but I think many options have now been added to the Now Playing screen; including a now-playing list, and volume control. Has there been a completed list of all the changes in this update? From what I can tell, other than the added organizational changes and playing functions, it seems a bit faster. I'm finally considering using Xbox Music again as my main player. I feel that there are still many needed changes they can make to it, but at least they are headed in the right direction. It really seems like Microsoft is starting to take a much more "update" oriented solution to their software.

Alex Rodriguez Jr.

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Some of you really take the development of these apps/operating systems so personally. If you need to type a 3000 outlined list of what's wrong with an app, you probably should be spending your time elsewhere.

With that being said, I haven't fully tested the app, but performance seems to be improved.

Ben Lehtovaara

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Hi,
Just want to tell you, there's an update to Xbox Music and it much improves Cloud Sync. Now you can manage what's in the cloud and it's just great!!!!

How does it let you manage whats in the cloud? Can you see an separate list of music on your PC and music that is in the cloud? Can you now delete items from your cloud collection?

I still see that when i download an album on my WP8 it does't show up on my surface pro. Works the other way as it always did.

Simon Gregory

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Some of you really take the development of these apps/operating systems so personally. If you need to type a 3000 outlined list of what's wrong with an app, you probably should be spending your time elsewhere.

With that being said, I haven't fully tested the app, but performance seems to be improved.

I believe it was copy/pasted from the MS answers forum, where there are a lot of people p'd off with how the music experience has been completely nerfed from the jump from WP7 to WP8. It's particularly annoying because its not just a bad app to use, it actually messes up your music collection, and costs you more of your data package due to the reliance on streaming.

Trainwreck_0532

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
I believe it was copy/pasted from the MS answers forum, where there are a lot of people p'd off with how the music experience has been completely nerfed from the jump from WP7 to WP8. It's particularly annoying because its not just a bad app to use, it actually messes up your music collection, and costs you more of your data package due to the reliance on streaming.
you said pretty much exactly how it is, cheers!

smeshko

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
There's one thing i can't figure out. Before the update i could just click play on a song and it would just play forever. Now, when i click play on a song, it adds all other songs (from the album, collection or wherever i am) to now playing. So my question is, how can i just play one, specific song ? :D

jrlive

Mar 6, 2013
Visit site
I find Xbox Music fantastic if you stick to the Xbox service. It struggles when you try and load in your own music, though the update has definitely improved this.

IMO, Both Xbox Music and Video need the ability to load your own metadata (badly!), and the ability to download albums in bulk (at the moment its done on a song by song basis). Overall the Xbox Music service is a winner in my view. The catalogue of music is the biggest I have seen - out does Spotify easily. To me, for a subscription service, that is the single most important thing. As the app develops and adds new functionality I think it will win the stream music battle for Microsoft. I switched from Spotify and am very happy I did.

Simon Gregory

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
That's a big IF! :) MS introducing a streaming service is a great thing, but NOT at the expense of impeding basic functionality such as music management and syncing your own songs to the device. Something that even my Creative Labs DAP Jukebox HDD MP3 player did better about 10years ago...

kerryprsp

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
There's one thing i can't figure out. Before the update i could just click play on a song and it would just play forever. Now, when i click play on a song, it adds all other songs (from the album, collection or wherever i am) to now playing. So my question is, how can i just play one, specific song ? :D

Instead of just clicking play on a song, you have to select it like you would select an application and press "Play Selected"

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12