Hi,

Well, I will start with, I am not a nokia/WP8 basher but music management is simply beyond horrible on my Lumia 920. I hope someone from site admin can take views from Lumia 920 owners and highlight it on front page. WP8 management is all going instagram instagram whereas some of the core required features of phone are million mile behind competition.

My problems with music management are below:

There is no simple way to clear playing now. (Apparently MS thinks that it is better to have a paid app in store to do that )
    Creating playlist is plain horrible, even if you are able to create a playlist you cannot edit it or re-arrange it.
    Apparently MS thought local search was stupid as why would someone keep a few hundred songs in his/her phone. Just to find music in phone there is an app but hub cannot do that.
    There is an icon for favorite the song but you cannot find any use of that.
    No upnp or dlna support.
    You cannot browse in terms of folders.
    You cannot edit tags on phone.
    I synced from WMP from windows 7 and tags are all over the place, synced them again still a few tags are @#$@#^

MS when you pay 620 $ for a phone, you need much better experience than this. I shifted from Android to Lumia because of Nokia not MS but alas I guess Nokia also never thought about it even though they are promoting all that stuff about music.

What is worst is that there is no third party app avaialbe to cater these problems. I missed player pro from Android a lot today.
    dgr_874 and josh_ua like this.
    04-29-2013 01:23 PM
    Have to agree, I have owned my 920 for near 6 months now and for the first time last night, I decided to load it with music for the daily commute and......... what a mess, pretty much for all the reasons you mentioned, horrible :/

For a phone that is so 'wrapped' in social media, you would also of thought the available apps would be stellar, I can manage with twitter although Facebook is the worst version I have ever seen on any handset, think MS have to throw money at Facebook and get that app sorted.
    04-29-2013 02:03 PM
    Creating of playlist is not that difficult, either by phone or by Windows Explorer ... and you can edit and re-arrange as you like any playlist too, using your computer, by Windows Explorer (do not try to move any playlist, just edit them) ....

I am moving my songs by Windows Explorer, as it is the fastest way ... if you have all songs tagged properly, all is OK ...

Searching works pretty well, if your songs are properly tagged ... if not, then it might be a nightmare ... and like you said, there is a nice app too, "Find My Music" app, even I do not use any separate apps for searching any longer ...

I am using MPA tool for artist pics and album covers - missing album tags might make troubles to find all album covers ...

DLNA - search Nokia Play To from store ...

What I really like, playing songs is fast to continue ... and pinning any of your playlists, radio mixs (online or offline), albums or singers on start with nice tiles - is very nice one too ...
    Last edited by Jaripi; 04-29-2013 at 03:14 PM.
    04-29-2013 02:57 PM
    Creating of playlist is not that difficult, either by phone or by Windows Explorer ... and you can edit and re-arrange as you like any playlist too, using your computer, by Windows Explorer (do not try to move any playlist, just edit them) ....

I am moving my songs by Windows Explorer, as it is the fastest way ... if you have all songs tagged properly, all is OK ...

Searching works pretty well, if your songs are properly tagged ... if not, then it might be a nightmare ... and like you said, there is a nice app too, "Find My Music" app, even I do not use any separate apps for searching any longer ...

I am using MPA tool for artist pics and album covers - missing album tags might make troubles to find all album covers ...

What I really like, playing songs is fast to continue ... and pinning any of your playlists, radio mixs (online or offline), albums or singers on start with nice tiles - is very nice one too ...
    I can agree with your reply but it is still a lot of work, especially if we do want to win over iPhone/Android users...not that it was all that easy on Android and iTunes is, well, iTunes...Zune Player with the ZuneHD and Windows Phone 7's was far much easier...
    04-29-2013 04:24 PM
    I have been using xbox music on my 920 since launch and I have to say there is room for improvement. I am lucky as 99% of the time I just click the "play all" random button once I open the app. But when trying to make a specific playlist it becomes painful.
    04-29-2013 04:43 PM

I don't agree with you. I know about creating and arranging playlists through explorer but what if you have synced your songs through WP or mediamonkey and songs are in Music/album name / artist name . Not everybody simply copies all songs one by one to music folder. It is a way around not a solution.

MPA tool, Nokia Play To, Find my Music are three third party app required to do things that I wrote in OP. Why on earth should one need three third party apps for features that should be present by default in flagship phone as they are available from other OS. Also I synced tags but still they don't show properly for all songs. My songs are in .mp3, .wma and .m4a container.

Well everything being said, it is all in vain if MS keeps it typical behavior that we are right and customers are wrong. Look at IE until firefox came. I hope they get their heads right and actually start listening to uservoice website that they have created.
    04-29-2013 10:29 PM
    Question from a non-WP owner who is considering buying a WP: I have about 100 playlists on my PC. Can I export these playlists to a Windows Phone 8? I can convert them to whatever format is necessary. My fear is that without a file structure in Windows Phone, the playlists might not work. Would it work to copy m3u playlists to an SD card, along with the music? (I know this would only work for phones with SD card capabilities).

Also, can Windows Phones stream music from SkyDrive? If a playlist is on SkyDrive and references music files on SkyDrive, can Windows Phone play the playlist?

Thanks
    05-02-2013 02:12 PM
    You can import playlists from your PC to Windows Phone through the Windows Phone App Preview. Directly copying playlists and music files to the music folder on Windows phone is a tricky thing, it may not function normally.
    05-11-2013 04:48 AM