Music management in Xbox Music

AaHaa

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
I'm quite old-fashioned: I buy CD's, rip them to my PC and listen to the music on my PC. I don't care for the Spotify/Cloud/Stream stuff to be honest. Today, I started using Xbox Music again after a long time of refusal because it messed up my album covers and titles... and I was actually surprised. Since october 2012, there have been quite a few improvements. For example, all the titles where just the way I wanted them (you know, lower-case "a" and stuff). That's a BIG improvement, but I still prefer Zune or Windows Media Player when it comes to music management. A few album covers were wrong and I couldn't find a way to change them within the app. What are your thoughts on how to improve music management in Xbox Music? And do you perhaps know about ways to manage your Xbox Music I don't know about yet?

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Glad to hear yours is working better. I was under the impression that we weren't really going to see any improvements with Xbox music until GDR2 comes out.

Sari_M

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
Could it be true that it doesn't mess up your metadata any more, if you turn "connect to Xbox Music on"? I haven't dare to do it for months. No Smart DJ, no finding more music from an artist straight from the Xbox Music store, but that's better than Xbox Music labeling my choir albums as "hip hop / r&b" or my world music as "enemm?n" (a Finnish word meaning not "other" but "more", how stupid is that?).

AaHaa

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
Could it be true that it doesn't mess up your metadata any more, if you turn "connect to Xbox Music on"? I haven't dare to do it for months. No Smart DJ, no finding more music from an artist straight from the Xbox Music store, but that's better than Xbox Music labeling my choir albums as "hip hop / r&b" or my world music as "enemm?n" (a Finnish word meaning not "other" but "more", how stupid is that?).

Yeah I was hesistant for the "connect to Xbox Music" feature as well, because it REALLY messed things up when it first came out. For example: Ram is an album by Paul & Linda McCartney, but Xbox Music changed it to some kind of weird Ram (Special Exclusive Edition) by Paul McCartney. It doesn't do that anymore, but it still changes some covers even though I added them myself. Really hope they fix that.

In Limbo

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
I'm quite old-fashioned: I buy CD's, rip them to my PC and listen to the music on my PC. I don't care for the Spotify/Cloud/Stream stuff to be honest. Today, I started using Xbox Music again after a long time of refusal because it messed up my album covers and titles... and I was actually surprised. Since october 2012, there have been quite a few improvements. For example, all the titles where just the way I wanted them (you know, lower-case "a" and stuff). That's a BIG improvement, but I still prefer Zune or Windows Media Player when it comes to music management. A few album covers were wrong and I couldn't find a way to change them within the app. What are your thoughts on how to improve music management in Xbox Music? And do you perhaps know about ways to manage your Xbox Music I don't know about yet?

You seem to have the same experience as me. I love my CD collection :)
But Xbox Music messes with it -- and I'm very meticulous with my metadata/tags. I actually keep my CD collection and Xbox Musix collection separate just for that reason. I figure a fix will come soon. True, it is certainly better than it was four months ago, but it's no Zune by any means.

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
Somewhat related. I recently upgrade to a 928 from the Trophy (aka WP8 from WP7) and manage my music collection with various Windows 7 machines, the music is all stored on a Windows Home Server. It is pretty ridiculously perfect, between cover art and metadata, folder organization, etc. Never had a problem putting music on my old phone, but now I put music on my new phone and since it is "connected" to Xbox Music it has "helpfully" decided to change albums, songs, cover art, etc on the phone. Really annoying.

AaHaa

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
Somewhat related. I recently upgrade to a 928 from the Trophy (aka WP8 from WP7) and manage my music collection with various Windows 7 machines, the music is all stored on a Windows Home Server. It is pretty ridiculously perfect, between cover art and metadata, folder organization, etc. Never had a problem putting music on my old phone, but now I put music on my new phone and since it is "connected" to Xbox Music it has "helpfully" decided to change albums, songs, cover art, etc on the phone. Really annoying.

Other music services don't do this, right? You can change everything in iTunes, if I remember correctly. What about Google Music and stuff?

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
Thankfully it didn't mess with data on the server, but once I transferred the music to the phone I don't have any control of it there (outside of disabling all linking to XBM and thus no Smart-DJ).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb