Xbox Music Pass: False Advertising?

mooreted

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
So, paid for an Xbox Music Pass on my Lumia 928. I try to play Led Zepplin or Iron Maiden; no go. I can only stream 30 seconds. I get on chat with MS for an hour and they reset my account. Then they say some artists don't allow downloading. I try to press the issue and the agent closes chat on me.

MS advertises that you can stream any song in the library, apparently this isn't true.

Is there still a problem with my account, or am I about to cancel my subscription?

Sent from my easy chair using brainwaves.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Sounds more like a bug. Even if an artist wouldn't allow downloading, streaming should work. What would be the point to have artists there that you couldnt listen to (even when streaming) for more than 30s, I can do that without paying too :p

Stephen Vogel

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
My understanding / experience is some artists do not allow their music to be used on these type of subscription services. There aren't many but sadly for you, 2 of your fav bands are on the list. From memory I think Green Day and The Black Keys are the same. Similar situation in that I believe ac/dc and the beatles aren't on itunes, although that could have changed as I haven't used iTunes in ages.
Back to Xbox music pass, you should still be able to purchase the tracks you like from those artists. This is out of Microsofts control, I guess its up to you if you feel it's misleading.

mooreted

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
MS advertises that you can stream any song in the catalog with Music Pass, so yes, it is misleading.

There is still a lot to listen to, so I might keep it.

Sent from my easy-chair using brain waves

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
I've never seen anything that said "stream ANYTHING in the catalog" I've seen it say "stream millions of songs"!

Not to mention the fine print.

*Free streaming limited to 10 hours/month after 6 months; unlimited with paid subscription. Internet required; ISP fees apply. Xbox Music Pass 30 day trial continues to a paid monthly subscription unless cancelled. Credit card required. Limit 1 per person; prior Zune Pass trial users not eligible. On the Web, Xbox Music Pass is streaming only.
**Free streaming limited to 10 hours/month after 6 months; unlimited with paid subscription. Compatible devices and internet required; ISP fees apply. On TV, Xbox Music is streaming only and requires an Xbox 360 console and additional subscriptions (each sold separately). Some Xbox Music content may not be available via Xbox Music Pass, and may vary over time and by region.
***Compatible devices and internet required; ISP fees apply. On Xbox 360, Xbox Music Pass is streaming only and also requires an Xbox LIVE Gold membership (both sold separately). Some Xbox Music content may not be available via Xbox Music Pass, and may vary over time and by region. See xbox.com/music. For Xbox Music System Requirements and Terms of Use, see Xbox LIVE Features and Apps - Xbox.com

Last edited:

mooreted

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
I know, it's marketing. It does say: "Search for any artist, song, or full album and instantly play whatever you want."

Sent from my easy-chair using brain waves

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Metallica is like that too.. The only songs they have to download are live versions. Stupid Metallica. You can't even BUY their normal songs.

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
THE HORRORS!!! Only semi-luxury? Say it ain't so! AHHH!!

Also, it was a big hupla when The Beatles made it to iTunes...Nov of 2010 is when it happened.

It is the same deal with songs on YouTube or videos on Hulu. Rich people want to be even MORE rich so they sign crazy contracts that make our life harder because we enjoy what they produced 10 years ago.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
THE HORRORS!!! Only semi-luxury? Say it ain't so! AHHH!!

Also, it was a big hupla when The Beatles made it to iTunes...Nov of 2010 is when it happened.

It is the same deal with songs on YouTube or videos on Hulu. Rich people want to be even MORE rich so they sign crazy contracts that make our life harder because we enjoy what they produced 10 years ago.

Well, it reminds me why Ive never started to use Spotify or other services like this when half of the bands I listen to either arn't there or only half of their discography is there..

2tomtom

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
Bunch of tracks I can only listen to for 30 seconds even I paid for the service. REALLY annoying.

I get round this quite often by searching the song, sometimes it appears on other albums and its downloadable, just check each song from search. Odd scenario really but it gets the job done.

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Bunch of tracks I can only listen to for 30 seconds even I paid for the service. REALLY annoying.

I had that too, for the first 1-2 days that I had the service. No idea what caused it, but I've only ran into 1 album since then (in the last 3 months) that did it agai (actually every song was 60 seconds vs. the 30 second songs I had when I started the service) And worst part about it, the album that I was trying to explore was a suggestion BY XBOX MUSIC...

RTGent

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
All music services have feature and catalog holes, and gaps -real and perceived- between their advertising and our requirements or preferences: identifying holes and gaps that matter to you is the purpose of trials. Any choice involves compromising.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss