Xbox Music - PlayTo

doadrian

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Hy guys. I was wondering if any of you could help me with the problem i have...
I just bought an Denon AVR X2000 receiver and tested it's network features. I have an xbox music subscrition and i wanted to play music from the app swiping left and bringing up the devices button. The receiver shows up there but when i try to play a song it says "that the file is protected and cannot be played on other devices".
Using the same method i was able to play a non protected music files... It is a shame it doesn't work with xbox music as it Works with apple airplay.
I really want this feature to work.
Am i doing something wrong? Is there any setting i should do?

Jose_Rey

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
I doubt you can do that as I can't even do it on the XBOX 360 unless I stream directly from the console through XBOX MUSIC APP. I have about 5 DLNA capable devices and none of them can stream "protected content." Only regular MP3s work.

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
It didn't ever work that way in Windows 8 for what you're trying to do.

There's two types of files Xbox Music plays. There's purchased (or imported) music, which is your unprotected MP3 content. And then there's stuff that is part of your subscription. That is all DRM-protected, whether it's streamed or downloaded/cached locally.

In Windows 8, there were two separate methods to play to a device. There was the Devices charm > Play To. This only ever worked with unprotected MP3 content. It decodes the audio stream on the sending device, and then passes that along directly to the receiver device via DLNA. Again, you can not send DRM content that way.

But as I said, in Windows 8, there was a second option. This was the "Play on Xbox" button in the app bar. This did the opposite, and would only work on content streaming from Xbox Music's catalog. With this, the device basically just sends a URL to the Xbox 360. The Xbox takes that URL, and automatically starts playing the same song. However, this playback is independent from the sender device. You can turn the tablet off at this point and the Xbox 360 continues to play.

In Windows 8.1, they have removed the "Play on Xbox" control. (I suspect at least partly because the Xbox One doesn't currently support that sort of thing). The remaining option there is the "Play To" option. This works the same as ever, but still only works for unprotected MP3 content.

doadrian

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
@jhoff80 thanks for clarification. It is a shame I cannot plat DRM files. This is how people end up downloading pirated songs...
I Wonder how Apple is always doing things that work...i mean Airplay works perfect. I know that Itunes purchased songs are non DRM but the Itunes radio also works...or sending the audio from Youtube to the receiver.

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
Actually, I have to say that I just tried doing this this afternoon with protected content from Xbox Music, and it shockingly worked on the Xbox One. The One handled whatever music I tried sending to it. The 360 does not

doadrian

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
I just found something really interesting. I have also a HTC One and it has an option "Media Output" where I selectetd the Denon receiver. I then opened the Android Xbox app (which opens and runs way smoother than de WP8.1 app :( ) and surprise....it works. I am able to stream Xbox Music content to the receiver. I open the "Nokia Play to" app, try to play an Xbox Music song and, no surprises here, it does not work!
I am really, really mad at Microsoft.

loofmodnar

Dec 14, 2010
www.loofmodnar.com
I've got an X2000 as well. Nice receiver, but I ended up adding a Bluetooth adapter (Logitech) since the connection at my house was flakey for airplay/play to. I could basically connect every other time. Using Zone two with the network connector was a pain as well since it always hijacks the main zone first.

David Hegedus

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
Guys.. All you have to do is Open up settings in Xbox Music and turn on all settings. Thats It. Works like a charm with drm protected files too. I play Music like this all the time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans