Xbox Music Pass: Why Should I Get It? What Does it Do?

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
In another thread I lamented the limited functionality of the Xbox Music app on some of my devices--mainly my Windows Phone and Xbox One--when one does not have a paid subscription. Particularly, I was annoyed that I can't stream my library from the cloud on my Xbox One (like I can do on my Windows 8.1 and Surface RT devices), nor can I stream radio/music that is supported with commercials a la Pandora.

So, what other benefits does Xbox Music Pass involve? I've read the official subscription here and would just like to confirm I'm not missing anything: what it lets you do is basically stream any song, commercial free, for as long as you have the subscription (and you can also download them for offline listening for up to 1-month past the end of your subscription). But you never get anything permanently as part of your subscription, right? (I've heard that in the past you did get, for 'free', several songs a month that you could forever keep). It's not like Xbox Live Gold's "Games with Gold" program where a subscription nets your several free games per month that you can keep forever even if you stop subscribing to XBL Gold, correct? It's basically just the equivalent of paying for a commercial-free Pandora?

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I wish it still included the free downloads. I'm guessing that there were licensing issues.

It would be nice if they at least gave songs at 30% off for subscribers.

JHunsaker

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
There are 2 separate versions of the Xbox Music Pass. A 10 dollar option where everything you described is correct where you just get to listen to as many songs as you like but you never get to keep them. There is also a 15 dollar option where you get the same thing as the 10 dollar option, but you also get 10 credits a month which allows you to effectively buy 10 songs a month to keep forever.

mattcald

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
I don't think the $15 option is available any longer. Only those who had it before the Xbox Music $10 started kept that option. New subscribers only get the $10 option.

JHunsaker

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
mattcald looks like you are right. I didn't realize that the 15 dollar option was removed. However, if you know that you want to use the Xbox Music subscription service for a year then the 12 month xbox music pass is the best option as it is only 99 bucks.

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
I was under the old sub model and let it go. The 10 song credits were lost if you did not use them within the month provided. It was also rare to get an album with 10 songs. Would usually have to kick in a few bucks to get a full album.

RTGent

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
I was under the old sub model and let it go. The 10 song credits were lost if you did not use them within the month provided. It was also rare to get an album with 10 songs. Would usually have to kick in a few bucks to get a full album.
I still have the old plan and love/value cashing in my 10 credits each month. Most of my music purchasing, with credits and otherwise, is of full albums. Whenever I want an album with more than 10 songs, I get 10 one month and the rest the next: Simple. Jazz is my favorite genre, and many -perhaps most- albums have less than 10 tracks. This month I may be picking up two 5-track albums, although I still have a couple of weeks to decide on my January credits. I've never understood forgetting or neglecting to use credits. I have a monthly reminder set for a week prior to my expiration date, and use daily snoozes until I cash them. :wink:

Best listening to all.

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
So, what other benefits does Xbox Music Pass involve? I've read the official subscription here and would just like to confirm I'm not missing anything: what it lets you do is basically stream any song, commercial free, for as long as you have the subscription (and you can also download them for offline listening for up to 1-month past the end of your subscription).

To add to your questions...anyone know how many hours of Offline Listening you download when you turn it on?
On the Nokia Music they tell you right up front you get 3 hours, want a new set off songs you get 3 new hours of music [but that is their free plan].

I got the Xbox Music pass for Christmas and just haven't set it up yet.

Last edited:

shamrock1988

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
I didn't even know i was paying ?8 a month until i started to wonder how i could download all this music for free lol I've cancelled it now and I've made another thread asking how to delete all those songs quickly.

Anyway i don't think its worth it. Some great youtube downloaders plus Nokia mixradio

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss