Anyone switch from Zune Pass to Xbox Music Pass?

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
Wondering if there are any "gotchas!" to look out for?

I know the device limit is lower (4 total vs 6). Although it seems like using a hybrid Zune Pass WP7/WP8, Zune desktop client really throws off their counts...neither the online device tally or Zune desktop client accurately list everything. :wink:

Will the Xbox Music Pass work with the Zune desktop software? This is the real kicker for me. Wife and I share our laptop running Windows 8.1, we sign in with our respective MS accounts. Can't make the regular Music app sign in with a different account, so running Zune works great as the workaround. But if the "real" Xbox Music Pass doesn't work with it (I have the grandfathered $15/month plan) that would suck.

Just wondering what sort of experiences people have had with this. Also, does a device count if it is just using the music in the cloud, and not actually downloading it? It *seems* like the answer is no to that...

Jebarson Jebamony

Jan 14, 2014
Visit site
Xbox music pass and zune music pass are not compatible with each other.
If you are using the same laptop for two users, you can create different users in the same machine which in my opinion would be much easier.
If your device is not playing anything, it wont be counted as a device.

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
To clarify: I already have the $15 grandfathered plan. I bought a year pass for Xbox Music as it is cheaper, and half the time I forget to use the keeper songs anyway. Edit: haven't switched from the Zune to the Xbox pass yet.

On our laptop, we have two separate users -- they are tied to our MS accounts however (not just local accounts). The Music app is automatically assigned to the corresponding MS account in each user then -- I use the Zune desktop software as my workaround for this currently (she can be in her user, and use the Zune pass tied to my account).

Do phones that don't download music count as devices (if they only stream)? Have a 520 and it seems to stream fine but isn't listed as a device online -- my 928 is though.

Guess I'll pull the trigger and see what kind of mess MS has built.

Looking forward to this like a prostate exam.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
It will only add it as a device if you download something. If your device list is full, it will allow you to stream but will not allow you to download.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm also grandfathered into the $15 Zune Pass. When Xbox Music was first introduced I had a lot of problems getting my Zune DRM music to play in Xbox Music. Things have sort of worked themselves out over the past year. I'm not sure if that's due to a back end change on Microsoft's part or because I've been using my credits to purchase my back catalog (or both). Now I've completely dropped Zune and use Xbox Music exclusively for downloading. Haven't had any problems in quite some time. The only catch is that in order to use my credits I have to purchase music using the Music Store on my phone. Xbox Music doesn't recognize my credits on my desktop/tablet.

Vallos

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
The only catch is that in order to use my credits I have to purchase music using the Music Store on my phone. Xbox Music doesn't recognize my credits on my desktop/tablet.
I am also on the 10 credit plan, and like you found out (a while ago) that Xbox Music on the desktop/tablet will not recognized the credits as a payment option. Even the Xbox Music app on WP8 won't do that. So I voiced my concern with Microsoft, relative with the upcoming WP8.1. I asked if the update will get rid of the Music+Video hub, as that is the only way I can use my credit. They replied saying they aren't sure at this time if they will eliminate it, nor do they have information if Xbox Music will be updated to include the use of credit as payment.

My guess is they will eliminate the hub and not include the credit option, thereby totally cutting the last vestige of the old Zune pass. :crying:

RTGent

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
I cash in my credits each month the same way I have for years now -using the Zune desktop software. Cheers to all and enjoy the music.

Joshua Henrickson

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
If you have already been using credits to buy stuff do not, I repeat do not, transfer to a Xbox Music Pass without first making sure all of you downloaded music is MP3 and not protected. I suggest putting it on a thumb drive first just to be sure. Just got out of a 2 hour chat that went nowhere. My account was grandfathered over but it bumped me down to the 10$ plan, now that I cancelled my pass I cant access any of my music. Not even the stuff I purchased on credits from over 2 years ago. Microsoft is a bunch of thieves I paid 400$ over the past few years and now I have nothing to show for it and they said oh we can refund you the last months charge. As if that makes up for it by any means. Total BS and the guy on the IM was a jerk about it telling me that I agreed to the terms except that I agreed to different terms before it changed to Xbox Music. USE iTunes it at least lets your music and trust me I am not a fan of apple so it isn't an easy thing to admit.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wopkof