08-28-2014 06:36 PM
91 1234
tools
    At first I was convinced that the metadata processing algorithm that xbox music uses was just plain faulty, but after some tests I realized that whoever is coding this app should be dragged out back due to the results of my little experiement: I synced my music after resetting my L925 and almost EVERYTHING came out perfectly. Except, there's always a problem when I sync Metroid's Original Sountrack, it changes it to John Carpenter, and when I sync Halo's Original Soundtrack, the artist becomes "Sluts of Trust." Interesting and quite annoying, considering I've tagged and retagged and retagged my music with media monkey time and time again.

So, I deleted the music off my device and resynced it all. Lo and behold, about 40% of album art synced as opposed to the near perfect success rate of before. What was different this time was it split up Halo's soundtrack into "Halo" and "Halo: Original Soundtrack" when I clearly have all 150 songs tagged as a simple "Halo." There's no hope for Metroid, which is a shame.

So I tried it again. The success rate was even lower this time. This time, however, full albums went missing. From albums and artists that I thought synced perfectly, there were tracks missing. Checking storage proved that they were indeed on the phone. Another update on Halo: upon selecting, the artist changed to Martin O'Donnel... That's technically correct, I'll concede, but the way I organized the music was so I wouldn't have albums split by composers. Metroid is still screwed up.

Compared to Nokia MixRadio, this app doesn't even hold a candle to it. Xbox Music has so much potential but my question is why must the app try to edit metadata on its own? Why can't it just read what's given to it like the original Music+Video Hub?. Zune worked flawlessly on WP7, save for the live tile being almost useless and changing like once a week, but it handled metadata with about 99.9% accuracy, and whatever was not correct, you could easily edit and resync. Come 8.0, Music+Videos had lost zune functionality and metadata wasn't really a trainwreck, it's just that it never read anything. Period. The only real problem for me was the lack of album art. The induction of MPAtool solved this immediately and all was right with the universe.

So, I hope Lumia Cyan or whatever associated firmware fixes this problem.

tl;dr: Microsoft, get your sh*t together.
    06-03-2014 04:49 PM
    Zune = Core functions of player worked; minor bugs did not prevent users from getting the music on the device and enjoying it; only issue I encountered was the lack of artist artwork when syncing with a Mac (remedied by MPATool if on an unlocked phone OR adding a Marketplace track). Synced with Mac and Windows flawlessly. Beautiful design language. Unfortunately no drag/drop capabilities (AFAIK?). Based on some severely sexy and well-built mp3 players I would still use today if they were capable of downloading subscription music services like Spotify or Xbox Music. Not particularly robust, but as this was really Gen 1-type software, that could be forgiven.

Xbox Music+Video Hub = On a good day, worked as intended. Major bugs began cropping up with duplicate tracks when trying to sync songs (rather than drag/drop). Very finicky on Mac and Linux. At times finicky with Windows. Just as speedy as Zune post GDR3. Hideous design language with that terrible green branding. Good store integration. Tried to change tags if you let it, but could easily be switched off. The Hub after GDR3 with a clean SD card worked enough to pass the time. Nothing so blatantly terrible as to cause me to think of leaving Windows Phone. Very few improvements made over Zune. Most are cosmetic, such as the scrolling lists of recently played/added albums and tracks. Terrible playlist support. MPATool improves experience 10x.

Xbox Music 2014 = Slow. Crashes on many WP8.1 devices regardless of RAM. Does better with smaller libraries as opposed to anything over about 5GB. Lags when scrolling quickly through long artist or song lists. Covers ID3 tags with new (mostly incorrect) metadata that at best will only add "(Album Version)" to the end of the song and at worst will entirely change the artist and break up one album into two or three. Scrub bar finally added. Significant improvement on the layout of the Xbox Music store, and the lack of duplicates is nice. Still hideously green. No live tile. Still does not play nice with Mac. In fact, doesn't play with Mac at all. Does not read album art correctly. No longer sorts albums by year, but rather alphabetically. Does not always read tracklists correctly (a nightmare for concept albums). Still no gapless playback. MPATool not compatible. So bad that they left the only music app in the background.
    06-03-2014 07:48 PM
    I can't comment on Zune stuff as it never got released outside the US, but Microsoft - the above comments are spot on.
    I'm kind of thinking that maybe iTunes terrible performance wasn't all that bad - at least you could get music to a device, sort it the way you wanted, have it display art, update smart playlists and just, well, work. Luckily I'm in no contract with my WP handsets.
    I thought I'd come back to WP after leaving it at 6.5 for being too antiquated. Perhaps I need to leave it another few versions.
    tapehead and dgr_874 like this.
    06-03-2014 07:58 PM
    It was available outside the US, it was also baked into WP7. Anybody can still download the Zune desktop app I believe.
    Music seems to have become a complete afterthought in the MS ecosystem. No standalone music device or service would ever survive on its own in the current state of XBM. They only have customers because it's pushed as the default via the current platforms.
    Can you imagine anybody buying an mp3 player that had such quirky functionality!? No recent played list, dodgy playlist support, DRM bugs, making it a PITA to manage your own music collection forcing you to cloud match songs to a limited online repository and be subjected to stream first ideology (requiring a 3rd party dataplan!?). It just wouldn't happen anywhere else - it's an absolute crazy mess now! :(
    06-04-2014 04:11 AM
    I love Microsoft's new direction but I won't be buying another Windows Phone until they bring back the Zune Desktop Software and Sync capabilities or something similar.

"The Cloud" and "Streaming-Services" are over-rated.
    Kevin Rush, Dk92 and Great deal like this.
    06-04-2014 04:43 AM
    It was available outside the US, it was also baked into WP7. Anybody can still download the Zune desktop app I believe.
    Music seems to have become a complete afterthought in the MS ecosystem. No standalone music device or service would ever survive on its own in the current state of XBM. They only have customers because it's pushed as the default via the current platforms.
    Can you imagine anybody buying an mp3 player that had such quirky functionality!? No recent played list, dodgy playlist support, DRM bugs, making it a PITA to manage your own music collection forcing you to cloud match songs to a limited online repository and be subjected to stream first ideology (requiring a 3rd party dataplan!?). It just wouldn't happen anywhere else - it's an absolute crazy mess now! :(
    lol Microsoft gave me a refund on my year subscription because their apps are such a mess.
    Kevin Rush and Great deal like this.
    06-04-2014 10:14 AM
    Use Zune every day; it's available here: Download Zune Software 4.8 from Official Microsoft Download Center
    and here: Download and Install the Zune Music + Video Software
    and elsewhere...
    For past users, the installation package may still be in your Download folder.
    06-12-2014 12:15 PM
    Use Zune every day; it's available here: Download Zune Software 4.8 from Official Microsoft Download Center
    and elsewhere...
    I don't think that changes the fact its not on WP8.x
    06-12-2014 08:01 PM
    and elsewhere...
    ZUNE! Yes, Zune is still available and still incredible on the desktop PC. I have it on my SurfacePro2 Windows 8.1. Really, this unknown gem is better than anything else of its type, even though Microsoft has removed some features. I think most people have never tried it or if they did, didn't really look into it. Behind the amazing animated artists photo montages and the "modern UI" is still great functionality for both your personally owned media, Xbox (formerly ZUNE) Music and Video, and streaming too. It still works with WP7.

Once the free install is loaded, it can connect to your personally owned media (music, photos, and videos) and Xbox Music and Xbox Video accounts and will sync up. The movies I purchase on my Xbox, for instance, show up on my ZUNE PC desktop software and I can stream them. The same as with music. The ZUNE marketplace also has a great listing of 1000s of podcasts for one off download or subscription. The ZUNE PC desktop software handles podcast subscriptions better than any other software or lightweight App.

It is currently ranked as one of the most popular downloads.

Please try the ZUNE PC desktop media player, and vote on MS UserVoice to bring it's features, including wired and wireless sync, back to Windows Phone 8 and beyond.
    06-12-2014 11:51 PM
    I love Microsoft's new direction but I won't be buying another Windows Phone until they bring back the Zune Desktop Software and Sync capabilities or something similar.

"The Cloud" and "Streaming-Services" are over-rated.
    I do like the Apple iTunes Match, it's easily to use. When you play a song on the cloud, it automatically download it. You can also download a bunch of them. Syncing is nice, play counts, favorites are all synced with cloud - smart playlists included.
    06-12-2014 11:54 PM
    The cloud and streaming services are overrated and they discriminate. The internet is not everywhere, is not free or cheap in most places, is not dependable/ consistent and is not fast enough in most places. Those who disagree, need to put their phone down, and leave their privileged comfort zone.
    06-13-2014 12:08 AM
    I have two laptops both with Zune players on them. Yet they have different music on them. It doesn't automatically replicate like Xbox music. Not only that but it replicates over all MSFT devices. This is why it reads every individual format. Almost like TCP vs UDP protocol. It's a slower process because the mirroring factor is always active. One thing I can say about Xbox music is that whatever I'm on, if I access Xbox music I know I'll get the same music anywhere. That's something you couldn't get on Zune, and isn't as extensive on Nokia music.
    06-13-2014 12:13 AM
    I have two laptops both with Zune players on them. Yet they have different music on them. It doesn't automatically replicate like Xbox music. Not only that but it replicates over all MSFT devices. This is why it reads every individual format. Almost like TCP vs UDP protocol. It's a slower process because the mirroring factor is always active. One thing I can say about Xbox music is that whatever I'm on, if I access Xbox music I know I'll get the same music anywhere. That's something you couldn't get on Zune, and isn't as extensive on Nokia music.
    That's sounds like a fantastic feature. My beef with Xbox music on my phone. Is I can't even rate songs as I listen to them. That is the way I go through music I haven't rated as i go through my collection. I could do this on my Zune and then it would sync those ratings to my desktop. Simple but great feature. I can't comment on Xbox music on my desktop because I still run windows 7 and to my knowledge you have to have 8 to run it, please correct me if I wrong. Also I'm sure there are some fundamental big changes Xbox music brought. The frustrating thing for those that used Zune is why after all this times it hasn't caught uo in basic functionality. It adds some great new things as you mentioned but is missing many great little things that made people love Zune. I as well don't stream. I have limited data and to be honest would rather listen to lossless wma than a crappy low end mp3 designed for easy streaming. So for me I want basic player conveniences that should have been there from the beginning.
    06-13-2014 12:21 AM
    They've promised bi-weekly updates to Xbox music (one of the most aggressive update cycles I've ever seen from them), so I'm not sure why you don't think they're listening. I never owned a Zune, but from what I understand, there were tons of DRM issues and you can't just copy/paste the word Xbox instead of Zune. They had to start from scratch with that.
    I respect that commitment but I have yet to see any of even the little things Zune brought to the table. Seems like mostly refining the same thing so far.
    06-13-2014 12:25 AM
    MS is working on improving the experience and the EXTREMELY aggressive release cycle is a FIRM indicator their listening to the customer base.
    No a firm indicator would be to slowly see good missing features added. How about something as basic as an ability to rate music that you're playing.
    06-13-2014 12:27 AM
    You clearly know nothing about software development. Zune was built for an entirely different architecture, they can't just copy/paste features into XBM. Yes, the XBM experience should be better and have more of the awesome features Zune had but the Zune software took YEARS to evolve into the awesome music player that was the ZuneHD. The move to WP7 meant they had rebuild it completely, then two years later do it again for WP8, then create it as a separate XBM app and make it universal.

They're clearly committed to adding user requested features with the launch of the uservoice site The current XBM is pre-release (at least until WP8.1 starts shipping) so there's some time for them to get the app into shape.
    I agree its not that simple, it certainly isn't. It will take time. But for it to be two years later and not have even basic missing features added...theres no excuse for that. These things could be written in. They haven't been because they haven't made it a priority. I don't mind being patient. I want it done right, but two years I and I see very little improvement.
    06-13-2014 12:30 AM
    You clearly know nothing about software development. Zune was built for an entirely different architecture, they can't just copy/paste features into XBM. Yes, the XBM experience should be better and have more of the awesome features Zune had but the Zune software took YEARS to evolve into the awesome music player that was the ZuneHD. The move to WP7 meant they had rebuild it completely, then two years later do it again for WP8, then create it as a separate XBM app and make it universal.

They're clearly committed to adding user requested features with the launch of the uservoice site The current XBM is pre-release (at least until WP8.1 starts shipping) so there's some time for them to get the app into shape.
    Can you please post the user voice site for me. If you have already done it and I missed it I apologize.
    06-13-2014 12:32 AM
    Seems the solution is simple but maybe not.
    06-13-2014 12:44 AM
    Performing more experiments as I did above, I found something crucial, which is probably already well known but could instantly wipe out half the disgruntled-ness: connection to the xbox music.

I own an L925 and 520, the former being my actual phone and the latter being my media player, as the 925 has crap storage. Xbox music FUBARed the archiving of my music on both my devices (see my above post) but when I commissioned my 520 as a full blown media player two days ago (and ONLY media player), I shut off WiFi and other unnecessary services that a media player doesn't need (on a side note, battery lasts for days. Sh*t's cash, yo). To my shock and awe, xbox music had archived my music 100% accurately. Album art was perfect, my soundtracks did not have their artists randomly changed to something completely unrelated, and all was right with the universe. I came up with many theories as to why this was, and thought maybe the recent Music update addressed the issue. Unfortunately, the moment I turned wifi back on, everything was **** again.

The Music+Videos hub had a switch under settings that controlled: "Connect with Xbox Music." When you switched that off, it cut off any bs tampering to the metadata, and with the induction of MPAtool, allowed quite a beautiful media experience for me personally... and winning the envy of my iphone/android user friends. However, that's not included under settings for our current music app. If they can include a switch that allows us to disconnect xbox music's services (because honestly, many of us just want a basic media player, nor does everyone have a music pass), it would solve A LOT of problems.
    06-13-2014 12:57 AM
    I just want them to bring back zune music+videos branding. don't need two apps. don't want xbox branding. why the hell would they do that? they could have brought zune music branding to xbox instead. bring back white background. just hate that green screen everytime the app opens. c'mon at least music app should launch instantly.
    06-13-2014 01:06 AM
    Just looked at Xbox music user voice forums did a search for Zune. Votes for threads such as Xbox music should have the functionality of Zune were under 100 while votes for streaming updates and such were in the 600-800 range. This is why we are not being heard. There are many of us that feel this way. If we want to be heard I suggest we go on and vote for what is important to us and tell every Zune fan we know of to do so. When these threads hit the multiple hundreds I votes instead of 20 or 60 they will start to listen.
    06-13-2014 05:02 AM
    Just looked at Xbox music user voice forums did a search for Zune. Votes for threads such as Xbox music should have the functionality of Zune were under 100 while votes for streaming updates and such were in the 600-800 range. This is why we are not being heard. There are many of us that feel this way. If we want to be heard I suggest we go on and vote for what is important to us and tell every Zune fan we know of to do so. When these threads hit the multiple hundreds I votes instead of 20 or 60 they will start to listen.
    Good research: So much for the born-again Zune-loving "masses"... to whom Microsoft isn't listening.
    06-13-2014 09:32 AM
    I think the problem is that since Zune lovers (yah I know that sounds corny) don't like Xbox music they are ignoring it. But since this is microsofts new platform we are ignoring it. It is miceosofts new path and that wont change so we must use it to voice our opinions.
    06-13-2014 01:01 PM
    I just wish that as I have accepted xbox music is the way forward, that I could sync my still excellent Zune HD device with it. It is really starting to hack me off having to use Zune and xbox music. My Zune has better music quality, much much longer battery life, and sometimes I just want to listen to music while I'm out for hours and then still be able to browse the net and use my phone for hours before its battery dies!
    06-13-2014 02:20 PM
    I just wish that as I have accepted xbox music is the way forward, that I could sync my still excellent Zune HD device with it. It is really starting to hack me off having to use Zune and xbox music. My Zune has better music quality, much much longer battery life, and sometimes I just want to listen to music while I'm out for hours and then still be able to browse the net and use my phone for hours before its battery dies!
    Grudginly I have started using windows media player to sync my phone instead of Xbox. Curious if my Zune will sync to it as well.
    06-13-2014 02:50 PM
91 1234