MS not listening to Xbox music users

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
The cloud and streaming services are overrated and they discriminate. The internet is not everywhere, is not free or cheap in most places, is not dependable/ consistent and is not fast enough in most places. Those who disagree, need to put their phone down, and leave their privileged comfort zone.

Pierre Blackwell

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
I have two laptops both with Zune players on them. Yet they have different music on them. It doesn't automatically replicate like Xbox music. Not only that but it replicates over all MSFT devices. This is why it reads every individual format. Almost like TCP vs UDP protocol. It's a slower process because the mirroring factor is always active. One thing I can say about Xbox music is that whatever I'm on, if I access Xbox music I know I'll get the same music anywhere. That's something you couldn't get on Zune, and isn't as extensive on Nokia music.

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
I have two laptops both with Zune players on them. Yet they have different music on them. It doesn't automatically replicate like Xbox music. Not only that but it replicates over all MSFT devices. This is why it reads every individual format. Almost like TCP vs UDP protocol. It's a slower process because the mirroring factor is always active. One thing I can say about Xbox music is that whatever I'm on, if I access Xbox music I know I'll get the same music anywhere. That's something you couldn't get on Zune, and isn't as extensive on Nokia music.
That's sounds like a fantastic feature. My beef with Xbox music on my phone. Is I can't even rate songs as I listen to them. That is the way I go through music I haven't rated as i go through my collection. I could do this on my Zune and then it would sync those ratings to my desktop. Simple but great feature. I can't comment on Xbox music on my desktop because I still run windows 7 and to my knowledge you have to have 8 to run it, please correct me if I wrong. Also I'm sure there are some fundamental big changes Xbox music brought. The frustrating thing for those that used Zune is why after all this times it hasn't caught uo in basic functionality. It adds some great new things as you mentioned but is missing many great little things that made people love Zune. I as well don't stream. I have limited data and to be honest would rather listen to lossless wma than a crappy low end mp3 designed for easy streaming. So for me I want basic player conveniences that should have been there from the beginning.

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
They've promised bi-weekly updates to Xbox music (one of the most aggressive update cycles I've ever seen from them), so I'm not sure why you don't think they're listening. I never owned a Zune, but from what I understand, there were tons of DRM issues and you can't just copy/paste the word Xbox instead of Zune. They had to start from scratch with that.
I respect that commitment but I have yet to see any of even the little things Zune brought to the table. Seems like mostly refining the same thing so far.

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
MS is working on improving the experience and the EXTREMELY aggressive release cycle is a FIRM indicator their listening to the customer base.
No a firm indicator would be to slowly see good missing features added. How about something as basic as an ability to rate music that you're playing.

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
You clearly know nothing about software development. Zune was built for an entirely different architecture, they can't just copy/paste features into XBM. Yes, the XBM experience should be better and have more of the awesome features Zune had but the Zune software took YEARS to evolve into the awesome music player that was the ZuneHD. The move to WP7 meant they had rebuild it completely, then two years later do it again for WP8, then create it as a separate XBM app and make it universal.

They're clearly committed to adding user requested features with the launch of the uservoice site The current XBM is pre-release (at least until WP8.1 starts shipping) so there's some time for them to get the app into shape.
I agree its not that simple, it certainly isn't. It will take time. But for it to be two years later and not have even basic missing features added...theres no excuse for that. These things could be written in. They haven't been because they haven't made it a priority. I don't mind being patient. I want it done right, but two years I and I see very little improvement.

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
You clearly know nothing about software development. Zune was built for an entirely different architecture, they can't just copy/paste features into XBM. Yes, the XBM experience should be better and have more of the awesome features Zune had but the Zune software took YEARS to evolve into the awesome music player that was the ZuneHD. The move to WP7 meant they had rebuild it completely, then two years later do it again for WP8, then create it as a separate XBM app and make it universal.

They're clearly committed to adding user requested features with the launch of the uservoice site The current XBM is pre-release (at least until WP8.1 starts shipping) so there's some time for them to get the app into shape.
Can you please post the user voice site for me. If you have already done it and I missed it I apologize.

anon(8648115)

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
Performing more experiments as I did above, I found something crucial, which is probably already well known but could instantly wipe out half the disgruntled-ness: connection to the xbox music.

I own an L925 and 520, the former being my actual phone and the latter being my media player, as the 925 has crap storage. Xbox music FUBARed the archiving of my music on both my devices (see my above post) but when I commissioned my 520 as a full blown media player two days ago (and ONLY media player), I shut off WiFi and other unnecessary services that a media player doesn't need (on a side note, battery lasts for days. Sh*t's cash, yo). To my shock and awe, xbox music had archived my music 100% accurately. Album art was perfect, my soundtracks did not have their artists randomly changed to something completely unrelated, and all was right with the universe. I came up with many theories as to why this was, and thought maybe the recent Music update addressed the issue. Unfortunately, the moment I turned wifi back on, everything was **** again.

The Music+Videos hub had a switch under settings that controlled: "Connect with Xbox Music." When you switched that off, it cut off any bs tampering to the metadata, and with the induction of MPAtool, allowed quite a beautiful media experience for me personally... and winning the envy of my iphone/android user friends. However, that's not included under settings for our current music app. If they can include a switch that allows us to disconnect xbox music's services (because honestly, many of us just want a basic media player, nor does everyone have a music pass), it would solve A LOT of problems.

aerosidinc

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
I just want them to bring back zune music+videos branding. don't need two apps. don't want xbox branding. why the hell would they do that? they could have brought zune music branding to xbox instead. bring back white background. just hate that green screen everytime the app opens. c'mon at least music app should launch instantly.

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Just looked at Xbox music user voice forums did a search for Zune. Votes for threads such as Xbox music should have the functionality of Zune were under 100 while votes for streaming updates and such were in the 600-800 range. This is why we are not being heard. There are many of us that feel this way. If we want to be heard I suggest we go on and vote for what is important to us and tell every Zune fan we know of to do so. When these threads hit the multiple hundreds I votes instead of 20 or 60 they will start to listen.

RTGent

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
Just looked at Xbox music user voice forums did a search for Zune. Votes for threads such as Xbox music should have the functionality of Zune were under 100 while votes for streaming updates and such were in the 600-800 range. This is why we are not being heard. There are many of us that feel this way. If we want to be heard I suggest we go on and vote for what is important to us and tell every Zune fan we know of to do so. When these threads hit the multiple hundreds I votes instead of 20 or 60 they will start to listen.

Good research: So much for the born-again Zune-loving "masses"... to whom Microsoft isn't listening.

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
I think the problem is that since Zune lovers (yah I know that sounds corny) don't like Xbox music they are ignoring it. But since this is microsofts new platform we are ignoring it. It is miceosofts new path and that wont change so we must use it to voice our opinions.

JasonKruys

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
I just wish that as I have accepted xbox music is the way forward, that I could sync my still excellent Zune HD device with it. It is really starting to hack me off having to use Zune and xbox music. My Zune has better music quality, much much longer battery life, and sometimes I just want to listen to music while I'm out for hours and then still be able to browse the net and use my phone for hours before its battery dies!

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
I just wish that as I have accepted xbox music is the way forward, that I could sync my still excellent Zune HD device with it. It is really starting to hack me off having to use Zune and xbox music. My Zune has better music quality, much much longer battery life, and sometimes I just want to listen to music while I'm out for hours and then still be able to browse the net and use my phone for hours before its battery dies!
Grudginly I have started using windows media player to sync my phone instead of Xbox. Curious if my Zune will sync to it as well.

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Random tangeant but I assume if you like Zune you prefer higher quality rips and formats. If so you should check out fios new audio player. SD card for memory but premium preamps and will play flak, aac, super audio cd format and many other high end digital formats not usually supported on devices. Not trying to steer you away from Zune, I love mine. Just a music player with serious potential.

Last edited:

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site

I thought for sure many people would have responded and corrected the above post, so I didn't respond right away. The above post doesn't take into account the over 16,500 votes for the return of Zune functionality that Microsoft "closed" recently saying that there are plenty of ways to sync music so the request is denied. The request and its over 800 comments still displayed, the last time I looked. Can you believe it? Ridiculous! It was one of the very highest voted requests. The numbers listed above are probably people starting the request new again. I know I went back and voted again since they released the votes from the original request. Please go and vote.

Last edited:

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Then they truly are idiots. Wasnt aware of that vote. #1 rule for a new emerging device do your best to keep your loyal following while implementing changes. Guess no one at Microsoft has ever heard that. Question was this post under wp8 because i could sync my WP through Zune in wp8 but under wp8.1 i cant

Last edited:

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
I thought for sure many people would have responded and corrected the above post, so I didn't respond right away. The above post doesn't take into account the over 16,500 votes for the return of Zune functionality that Microsoft "closed" recently saying that there are plenty of ways to sync music so the request is denied. The request and its over 800 comments still displayed, the last time I looked. Can you believe it? Ridiculous! It was one of the very highest voted requests. The numbers listed above are probably people starting the request new again. I know I went back and voted again since they released the votes from the original request. Please go and vote.
That is weird though. I searched using only the word Zune and that vote didn't pop up, and it went from most votes to least. I wonder if they buried it at the end or removed it.

Simon Gregory

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
That is weird though. I searched using only the word Zune and that vote didn't pop up, and it went from most votes to least. I wonder if they buried it at the end or removed it.
They have declined it, but the suggestion is still available here:
https://windowsphone.uservoice.com/...058-continue-to-use-zune-for-media-sync-in-wp
There are loads of Zune related suggestions on the dedicated Xboxmusic uservoice site in the hundreds of votes, including mine:
http://xboxmusic.uservoice.com/foru...4685-fix-sync-experience-it-needs-an-overhaul

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo