I actually like Xbox music ...

Alligator42

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
I realize Xbox music doesn't get a lot of love around here, but I'm a new user and actually kind of like it on my phone. I subscribed for a year for the first time and haven't had some of the problems people are describing.

I like the photos of the artists appearing in the backgrounds. If they keep upgrading it, I hope they add the popularity of songs so I can tell if I'm downloading the right version. I also wish my 925 had a memory card so I could add some of my FLAC tracks. But overall I actually like the app. Am I the only one?

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Glad you are happy with Xbox music service. It isn't available in my country but I am sure once it's out here , no one will use iTunes ;). I like the new music player update on my lumia 920 (wp8.1 dp ).

azcruz

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Are you meaning the service or the app?

As to the service, it's not available at where I am. I subscribe to Spotify and Songza.

As to the app, it's ok.

Meagey

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
My problem is that it tells me I cant play any of my music, it all shows up but wont play. So I tried the old music hub tile app and it only plays 30 seconds of each song

Mellifluous

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
I like it too.

I did have a problem where album art disappeared after one Music app update. I did a phone reset, redownloading apps and music (which I wanted to do anyway) and the album art is fine now and the Music app is also smoother.

The Xbox music team have committed to fortnightly updates so it is going to get a lot better over the next few months.

Meagey

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
Anyone else have it where your Xbox system will play your music but the music app only plays 30 seconds of each song? Is that because I don't have a music pass? Or is it a setting?

davebolton

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
First, I don't know the answer to your question. But it does sound related to an issue I was having with the 8.1 preview. I do not have a pass but was unable to purchase music on my phone. I could buy it on my PC and have it show up on my phone. When I tried to buy it I would get a message that I did not have a credit card on the account. So when I tried to add it I would then get a message that I could not do that because that card was already there. I tried several things. Contacted XBox support. Then I did a hard reset and that fixed it. If you are willing to try this just remember you lose your apps and photos. You can of course redownload them for no additional charge if you use the same MS account.

Have you tried it on your PC? Does it behave the same way?

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Anyone else have it where your Xbox system will play your music but the music app only plays 30 seconds of each song? Is that because I don't have a music pass? Or is it a setting?
I'm still working on figuring out this completely.

What I think is going on, is that it has done a partial music match from the phone to XBM cloud. But it hasn't been able to do a full match (I think it's a limitation of the phone app). I'm now letting XBM work on my collection of music on my PC, letting it do "it's thing" of updating metadata, artwork, and music matching (I really hate doing this, but I finally threw up my hands in frustration and decided "when in Rome..."). I have a feeling that once it's done it's job matching my music from my PC, the XBM app on the phone might play the entire song.

Right now, XBM on my PC keeps hanging up trying to "do it's thing". I keep comparing what it show's that's 'streamable' and then compare it what's available via Browser Requirements - Xbox Music and it just doesn't match up, yet. I keep having to uninstall XBM from my PC to clear out it's database and reinstall it and let it start over. Each time it catches more and more matches of my songs. I do let it run continuously when I'm away from my PC (set the power options not to sleep and leave XBM app running in the foreground).

Also, for some reason it updates the metadata of the songs, but doesn't actually update the album art in the MP3's like it says it will do (tested by putting bogus album art in each song of known matched album that's streamable, it always stays bogus in the file, but XBM shows the proper album art).

jasqid

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, ots gotten better. I'm actually using the playlists now. I use my surface RT to manage my music and playlists. Wish they would let you delete an entire artist from your collection. Anyway, still need the rating and social system back in it.

jason8957

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
I don't believe so.
Well, FLAC files are really big and would take up a lot of space, but I hate having to keep multiple file types of the same music. I'd do .WMA, but so many things won't play that file type either. Frustrating. Why do they care what file type I prefer?

dby2011

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
Everything plays mp3 though. I ripped my entire music collection (over 500cds) in FLAC. I then used a program that batch converted all the FLAC files to 128kps mp3 using the Lame encoder. I use the 128 mp3s on my phone. On the go 128 sounds fine on my phone and in my car and I can add a mp3 file to any device. If you are really concerned about music quality you can always convert to 256 or 320 mp3 from FLAC.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb