Cannot purchase music in the XBox Music Store

davebolton

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
This is weird but what happens when I try to buy a song in the XBox Music Store (on my Windows Phone) I get a message: "We don't have a credit card on file for your your account". Hmm. I could have sworn I did. As I can buy apps. And I know I have bought music here before. I am running the Developer Preview of WP8.1 on a Lumia 928.

So I try to add it. I click on the link to add a credit card and it takes me to buy.live.com/blahblahblah. I fill out this form and get the following message: "We cannot add this payment method because it already exists in your account. Please try with another one".

I opened a chat support ticket with XBox support and while polite, the tech was not able to understand why I am getting this message. I then tried:
Removing this credit card, logging out and readding it. Same result.
Removing this credit card and adding it through the XBox Music store. I was able to add it. But XBox Music store does not see it, so I get the same message "We don't have a credit card ..."

I AM able to buy music with the XBox Music app on my PC. After purchase, the music appears on my phone.

The confusing thing here is that there are two (apparently) separate areas for payment options:
1.XBox Music Store: account.xbox.com
2.My Microsoft account: account.live.com
The information in these two does not seem to be the same.

One thing I did not mention is that I also have an iPhone and an Android phone. And buying music is much simpler with both of these.

I would appreciate any insight anyone can offer. I really think this should be easier.

davebolton

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
I had seen that, but thought it did not apply in my case. I do have another Microsoft account. However it has not been added to my newer Windows Phone. At one point I recall trying to delete it but found that I could not because I had an old (cancelled) Zune Music pass associated with it. Maybe it is time I contacted Microsoft support and got the older account (fully) deleted.

I guess this is a dumb question, but are these two accounts linked somehow?

Thanks for reminding me about this.

davebolton

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
One more thing. I just find it "funny" that I can buy apps on the phone. Can buy apps & music on the PC. But cannot buy music on the phone with this account. Plus any music I buy on the PC (through the XBox music store) is instantly sync'd with the XBox music app on the phone.

That would be "Funny Odd". Not "Funny HAHA". Not quite "Funny Sad".

namurell

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
I am having the same issue with xbox music. I am running the developer preview on my lumia 1020. I tried the hard reset and nothing changed. I try to purchase music on my phone and when you get to the confirm purchase page it tells me that "This purchase cannot be charged to your mobile phone account; We dont have a credit card on file for your account" The 'Buy' button is greyed out. I click on the add credit card button and when i enter everything in it tells me that the card is already on my account. I have gone into the account added a second card removed the first and even re-added the first. They both sync to the wallet app on the phone, however when opening up that credit card on the mobile wallet app it tells me that it cannot be used for app purchases and tries the same redundant loop of trying to have me add it again. I have been able to purchase music and or apps in the past with no issues, wither to my mobile phone account (ATT) or to my credit card. The only change that I have made to my account recently was to migrate my xbox live Sn from an old microsoft account to my current one that I use for everything windows phone related. So everything should now be on the same account. I am hoping that someone will have some insight into this.

bguy_1986

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
I have the same problem. I'm thinking it might be because I have a Xbox Music pass maybe? It always says I can download it for free, but I'd rather buy it because I don't plan on keeping my music pass because the apps are TERRIBLE.

I purchased it when they had a deal on the full year music pass.

RTGent

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
I've had a Music pass for years and don't have this issue on an 8.1 Lumia 1020; nor did I have it with 8.0.

FWIW, I've always resisted/avoided "developer" versions on my phones.

joshua diaz2

Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
I know I'm late, but I been having this problem. I have done everything the support ***** told me to do, and I have no luck. I thought I was the only one with this issue. I've been trying to fix this for over 2 months. I don't have a music pass, and even with this new music update the issue is still there. Has anyone solved this?

sayyadina

Aug 16, 2012
Visit site
HTC One 8.1 The lastest update did nothing to help the issues for me. My case was closed by Xbox support. I was basically told to buy PC 8/8.1 to purchase my music. The worst thing is, I was able to purchase until I added a new card at the beginning of Oct. No one cares at support and the way it sounds will not be fix until WP10.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leviwilkersion