Waiting for WP Xbox Music App update!!

dby2011

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
I just hard reset my phone 2 days ago and got Xbox music to work perfectly with my collection (11k mps3) on my sdcard. I updated the app today and now not all my songs are showing up. It's been 3 hours now and I don't think it is still indexing music. This just stinks. This may be enough to throw me over the edge to Android.

AlexFlorin

Jun 24, 2014
Visit site
For me is very hard to understand why a huge Software company like Microsoft can tolerate this kind of app quality, why can't they just fix it and I mean not waiting for endless updates that haven't even brought the app at the level it was in WP8 but to just fix the app performance and add all the missing features plus new features in like 1 month. Ms has the man power and money to do that.
Like somebody said, if I were a manager at Microsoft I would give the Xbox Music team 1 month(of course asking them what they need to make that possible, I'm not a tyrant) to bring the app at a competitive level, 1 month, if that is not done I would fire all the people that wort at this app.

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Well I just fired up the updated app out of curiosity. It said something about updating library.
Then I hit the Shuffle button and....nothing. It just sat there. For 5+ minutes.
It's a disgrace.
10 updates in to a music app and it STILL doesn't actually play music.

Stephen Pedersen

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
XBoxMusic Has gotten a little better. I appreciate It now that I can pause a half an hour lecture and come back to it later on in the day. It is less buggy. However, I would like it if it was compatible with audiobooks in that I could pause and continue more than one thing at a time mid way through a book.. That's one gripe. The other big gripe is music discovery. I might as well listen to the same radio station over and over because that's what the music discovery in Xbox Music is all about-- its all about what's popular. Get Spotify for that. I pay $5 bucks a month for it and it's much better for making play lists and discovering new music, but not good for listening to my university lecture playlists. Spotify just has a wider variety of music too. Plus, you can connect with friends and play their mixes! It's kinda sad that I need to pay for two apps but that's the only way I can get the best of both worlds on the Microsoft ecosystem. Xbox Music is the only app that Apple demolishes with its iTunes. I miss iTunes so much. It does EVERYTHING you can possibly need, and their are so many customizable options built within. From audiobooks, podcasts, streaming, local music, mixes. If Microsoft windows phone gets any worse I will go to Apple. I consider Android to be okay, Windows to be great and the iPhone probably to be the best. However Apple is just too expensive and the screens were just too small at the time. Plus I like the Windows user interface more. It's so simple.

Dos101

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
With last couple updates the app itself is actually usable for me. I guess now my issue is with the Xbox Music service itself. I wish there was an option to sync JUST playlists, instead of simply enable streaming and then letting Xbox Music on my phone sync for 30 minutes as it shows all of my cloud music in the app. I've also encountered another issue where I create a playlist in Xbox Music in Windows 8.1, then let it sync the playlist to my phone. Going through the playlist on my phone there are a few songs that show that they need to be downloaded otherwise they will play via streaming the song. I have the EXACT same music collection on my phone and on my Windows 8.1 PC, so the fact that it seems that both apps read song/artist info differently seriously bothers me, and actually ruins the "synced" music experience that I'm supposed to be getting out of this service.

anon(5445874)

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
There are still RANDOM NOISES in-between songs. Is this app being programed by students or something? I'd expect this kind of trash out of a beta product.

anon(5445874)

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
People keep saying it's a device issue. So I decided that my over 2 year old 920 has seen enough action, so I put it to sleep today. The phone had been unusable as a phone for the last few weeks because the mic went dead.

I picked up a cheep 630 (the Cyan version). Anyway, the Xbox Music app actually worked flawlessly. The 920 still has random noises. If your device is under warranty, I recommend you just swap it out. If you're like me and due for a new phone, just go get one. It feels so good being able to listen to music without the jarring noise sample in between every song.

Just in case you're wondering about the 630, overall it's an ok device. I'll eventually replace it with whatever win10 flagship phone, but for now it's a decent phone. I'm keeping the 920 in my pocket just for the camera because the 630 camera is bottom shelf trash. I'm sure in daylight it's ok, but the 920 is way better. It's also worth a note that I checked the settings in the (actual) phone area and it had an option to turn on visual voicemail (I'm on cricket temporarily). Anyway, I turned it on and got an error saying it can't be done. But then all of a sudden a new tap opened up and voicemail synced. Not sure if that was suppose to happen or not. Just got the thing today.

Listening to XBM as I type, it's working great!

Desynthesis

May 12, 2014
Visit site
People keep saying it's a device issue. So I decided that my over 2 year old 920 has seen enough action, so I put it to sleep today. The phone had been unusable as a phone for the last few weeks because the mic went dead.

I picked up a cheep 630 (the Cyan version). Anyway, the Xbox Music app actually worked flawlessly. The 920 still has random noises. If your device is under warranty, I recommend you just swap it out. If you're like me and due for a new phone, just go get one. It feels so good being able to listen to music without the jarring noise sample in between every song.

Just in case you're wondering about the 630, overall it's an ok device. I'll eventually replace it with whatever win10 flagship phone, but for now it's a decent phone. I'm keeping the 920 in my pocket just for the camera because the 630 camera is bottom shelf trash. I'm sure in daylight it's ok, but the 920 is way better. It's also worth a note that I checked the settings in the (actual) phone area and it had an option to turn on visual voicemail (I'm on cricket temporarily). Anyway, I turned it on and got an error saying it can't be done. But then all of a sudden a new tap opened up and voicemail synced. Not sure if that was suppose to happen or not. Just got the thing today.

Listening to XBM as I type, it's working great!

This sounds like a practical response, but it does bring up a few problems.

Let's say, for example, I decide to trade my Lumia 925 for an 830, because I've had my eye on it and it's a very nice handset. Granted, technically, it's a bit of a downgrade (the 830's performance is apparently comparable to a 920, which the 925 edges out). Also, of course, I'm going to have to swallow the cash loss (my 925 doesn't have any non-update related problems--the physical hardware is fine--and I've kept it in excellent condition, but even then, I'm not going to be able to get it for the price of a new 830).

"Well, looks like a bug from 8.1 just cost me $100 (or more). Live and learn, I suppose." So I have an 830, it doesn't have the cracking sound (presumably, how hard would it be to sell a phone with the advertised feature "Cracking after every song?"), and at least I'm happy in that regard. It's a little slower than my older handset, but whatever, at least it has 8.1 natively installed on it.

So, what happens when a future update...say, 8.2, or more likely, a something like 8.1.2 and other later upgrades to 8.1 breaks the AP/digitizer/whatever? After all, this problem only exists because of 8.1--it's entirely the doing of the development team (and to be fair, they're human, so they make mistakes). This was an extremely unusual bug to appear, one that the WP team wasn't expecting as far as I can tell, and hasn't corrected in about a half year. It's entirely possible that it could come back again if there's another set of updates to playback (say, to improve Xbox Music performance further). Am I going to be out another $100 to $200 fixing their mistake? Is this going to happen in the next big revision, Windows Phone 10?

The thing is, this isn't a world-ending bug--it's annoying as hell, but you can avoid it from streaming music (except those people who have that issue, they have it worse) to using BT earbuds (I suspect this works too). At the same time, it should be a bug that Microsoft just fixes instead of hoping they'll move more handsets when people get tired of waiting.

If you had to replace your handset for reasons of condition/overuse, that's a normal thing. People take their new iPhones and crack the screens within weeks of buying them, much less years. If you're careful with your phone, however, it's much less reasonable. If Nokia (or more accurate, Microsoft) told me tomorrow, "Okay, we know you've had this bug (and a few others) for a few weeks now. Send us your very good condition unlocked handset, we'll replace it with a newer but less powerful and equally-unlocked 830 for your trouble," I would probably take them up on the offer (once I figured out it was compatible with my network anyway). Microsoft's not going to do that, because it's kind of ridiculous--just like it'd be ridiculous for me to drop $200 on a new handset to fix a problem they created.

Otherwise, it's a practical solution. I long suspected phones with 8.1 natively installed wouldn't have the bug (even the Windows Phone team as of late couldn't be that nearsighted). So that leaves the only other option I know of, which is to sit around and wait until Microsoft fixes it. If they don't, well, I like the Lumia line a lot, but I'm not married to it. There are plenty of Android options (even if I'm not in love with Samsung's iPhone-esque design choices) to go with too. I can always get another phone.

I have a first-gen Surface Pro 1, which, when updated to 8.1, loses the ability to use Intel Display Drivers--that means you can't set the aspect ratio manually. Microsoft doesn't have an answer to that either. But otherwise it's a great ultrabook (especially since it's ~3 years old now), and the aspect ratio problem isn't that surprising (a lot of tablet-form PCs have the issue). I'm not going to spend the $700 to replace it with a Surface Pro 3 (assuming I got a good price for it), especially since I suspect those have the same issues.

[/first world problems]

Dos101

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
The last two updates, while improving the startup speed of Xbox Music, have now broken other things for me. If I touch the now playing song under the music controls it will stop my current song and play the first song of the last album I downloaded through Xbox Music. The app will also, quite frequently, crash after locking the phone, then unlocking it. Music will still play, but sometimes the Xbox Music tile will be "darkened" and I can't open it, even from the app list (the last update caused this to happen much more frequently). Seriously can I just have a working music app? Is that too much to ask for? *sigh*

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte