Waiting for WP Xbox Music App update!!

anon(5445874)

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
So far I see a few new features. Background images for artists and stuff (at least I never noticed that before).

Anyway, here's my report on the new version:

Phone: Lumia 920 (2 year old phone) I still get buzzes and pops in-between songs. To be fair, it seems like there's less of it, but this really makes the app unusable. Other than that the app seems to be better overall. It's a shame that I can't even use that phone as an mp3 player.

Phone: Lumia 630 (just got it last week) This phone maybe underpowered but xbox music continues to run flawlessly on it. Music plays like it should with no extra noises added. So far i'm liking it.

Desynthesis

May 12, 2014
Visit site
So far I see a few new features. Background images for artists and stuff (at least I never noticed that before).

Anyway, here's my report on the new version:

Phone: Lumia 920 (2 year old phone) I still get buzzes and pops in-between songs. To be fair, it seems like there's less of it, but this really makes the app unusable. Other than that the app seems to be better overall. It's a shame that I can't even use that phone as an mp3 player.

Phone: Lumia 630 (just got it last week) This phone maybe underpowered but xbox music continues to run flawlessly on it. Music plays like it should with no extra noises added. So far i'm liking it.

Seems clear that the natively 8.1 phones don't have the cracking (still waiting on evidence that a phone update from 8.0 to 8.1, like my Lumia 925, not getting the bug--everything seems to suggest that if you got the update, you get the bug). Seeing how Microsoft's not going to foot the cost difference for an 830 that I'm only getting for their error, I don't expect to replace my 925. :straight:

anon(5445874)

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I wonder if there's a way to revert my 920 back to just WP8? Since I don't use it as a phone anymore, I don't really care if it's on 8.1 and at the same time, it might make it usable as an mp3 player.

Desynthesis

May 12, 2014
Visit site
I wonder if there's a way to revert my 920 back to just WP8? Since I don't use it as a phone anymore, I don't really care if it's on 8.1 and at the same time, it might make it usable as an mp3 player.

To my knowledge, not if you have updated it past Windows 8.1 (so, for example, the first update after 8.1). Nokia Recovery Tool 1.5.0 will only wipe the first version of 8.1 and no future versions, as far as I can tell--in the event of a later version, it will simply just wipe your phone (same as a hard reset).

I've considered doing this for my 925 (since it would fix both music playback and broken internet sharing), but it's no longer an option. :straight:

Simon Gregory

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Seems clear that the natively 8.1 phones don't have the cracking (still waiting on evidence that a phone update from 8.0 to 8.1, like my Lumia 925, not getting the bug--everything seems to suggest that if you got the update, you get the bug). Seeing how Microsoft's not going to foot the cost difference for an 830 that I'm only getting for their error, I don't expect to replace my 925. :straight:

I started getting the popping sound between tracks on my 920, when I installed the 8.1 version (it also happens if you use the seek bar). I also had carrier update + cyan installed. Have since upgraded to the Dev preview and installed update 1 and it still happens. It's not a hardware bug, its definitely software. I don't tend to stream, I have the music locally, so maybe that's the difference.

fiveaces01

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
try using the music hub app. It just got an update today that enables the start screen tile to show the artist now playing like it used to on wp8. I mean it will show the art I picked thru MPATool. Also I am no longer getting the popping noise we were all familiar with. Am running 8.1.1 DP on a nokia 920 with the cyan update thru the Italian country variant

dby2011

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
I am not going to make friends saying this..but if you use you WP for a lot of music, especially local music stored on your phone or sd card, just cut the cord and dump WP. Seriously, this is just ridiculous how antiquated the xbox music app is. I had enough and got a Galaxy 5. The 3 standard music apps that came with the Galaxy 5- Google Music, Amazon Music and the basic Samsung Music app are all years ahead of Xbox Music and most third party music apps in the Windows Store. Music shows up in the apps right away when you add it, they all display album art correctly, and all 3 have user interfaces that are quick and easy. If you are a big music fan, I would seriously consider an Android phone- I put up with WP for 4 years and can't believe I made myself suffer for so long.

Mellifluous

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
I am not going to make friends saying this..but if you use you WP for a lot of music, especially local music stored on your phone or sd card, just cut the cord and dump WP. Seriously, this is just ridiculous how antiquated the xbox music app is. I had enough and got a Galaxy 5. The 3 standard music apps that came with the Galaxy 5- Google Music, Amazon Music and the basic Samsung Music app are all years ahead of Xbox Music and most third party music apps in the Windows Store. Music shows up in the apps right away when you add it, they all display album art correctly, and all 3 have user interfaces that are quick and easy. If you are a big music fan, I would seriously consider an Android phone- I put up with WP for 4 years and can't believe I made myself suffer for so long.

It's not that bad. I recently put a load of music managed with iTunes on my phone and the only problem with the 4gb of albums were two without album art. Xbox Music is still ropey but it does the job and if it doesn't, you're probably managing your music wrong.

dby2011

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
Nope, good luck if you have a large collection. I have 11k mp3s that take up close to 50gb on a 128gb sdcard. I spent months encoding my music and tagging everything, including embedding album art. I know what I am doing. It sucked that Xbox music still stores the index file on the phones main memory. If you add music it is still hit or miss if it shows up. Only solutuon is to hard reset the phone. No issues at all with the 3 apps that came with my Galaxy and others I have tried. For very large collections Xbox music is totally unreliable.

Dos101

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Nope, good luck if you have a large collection. I have 11k mp3s that take up close to 50gb on a 128gb sdcard. I spent months encoding my music and tagging everything, including embedding album art. I know what I am doing. It sucked that Xbox music still stores the index file on the phones main memory. If you add music it is still hit or miss if it shows up. Only solutuon is to hard reset the phone. No issues at all with the 3 apps that came with my Galaxy and others I have tried. For very large collections Xbox music is totally unreliable.

Pretty much my experience as well. I have 61GB of music on a 128GB microsd card and have spent weeks tagging them properly and adding album art. Xbox Music still incorrectly reads tags (though it's only happening to a few songs and albums now), for the most part doesn't show album art for me, and is incredibly slow navigating artists and albums. The speed has been improved with the last few updates, but it's still nowhere near to what it should be. Every single time I play music and lock the screen the app will crash and I won't be able to open it again for a few minutes. One thing that really bugs me though is how inconsistent the experience is between Xbox Music on WP8 and Xbox Music on Windows 8. With the exact same music on both my phone and PC, if I create a playlist on one and let it sync to the other, some songs won't show, or I need to "download" the song because Xbox Music thinks I don't have it. If/when Apple releases a 128GB iPod Touch I'll be moving to that for my music experience.

.. Does anyone knows how to clear recent plays from Xbox music?

As far as I know there is currently no way to clear it.

dby2011

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
Check out the Fiio X1 digital audio player. It's fantastic. That is what I use for my main music at home. It supports FLAC and hi res audio, has a simple interface, has a line out and can play music from folders. It's a steal for $100.

anon(5445874)

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I've got a good 30 gigs on my SD card and it works just fine with Xbox music. Not sure why anyone would spend weeks on album art when most of that is synced automatically. And even the few that's not there, do you really need album art? Most of the time the phone's display is off and you're just listening.

jomarr

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
I've got a good 30 gigs on my SD card and it works just fine with Xbox music. Not sure why anyone would spend weeks on album art when most of that is synced automatically. And even the few that's not there, do you really need album art? Most of the time the phone's display is off and you're just listening.

I actually ALWAYS see to it that there is album art in every song in my collection. It sounds really dorky but it's really part of the experience. I really adore the Zune interface and that's one of the main reasons I switched from iOS to Windows Phone.

My problem with Xbox Music is after I sync some new music to my phone, it doesn't recognize those songs but the Music Hub Tile does.

Also, my playlists are NEVER updated when in the music hub tile, it's current. The big problem here obviously is the new Xbox Music. Not only is it a slowpoke, it's actually unreliable as well. I don't know if it's just me but these are FACTS.

Here are screenshots for proof:

consolidated.jpg

So here are the differences:
A-List (This list is being changed every week for new songs)
Hub Tile = 53 songs
Xbox = 41 songs

Conference?? I unsynced that playlist MONTHS ago.

Gym 2.0 (My workout playlist obviously :cool:)
Hub Tile = 257
Xbox = 0?? WTF!

Gym Daily? Like Conference I unsynced that playlist MONTHS ago.

Run (My running playlist. PS as all of you can see I'm really active so I need to switch up my playlists every now and then)
Hub Tile = 427
Xbox Music = Another EGG!

Slow? I unsynced that, yes you got it MONTHS ago.
Slow WP (Windows Phone) Ha. only has 4 songs on Xbox Music

The Top 200 Most Played Playlist was synced a couple of weeks ago and is nowhere to be found in Xbox Music.

Here's my synced playlists from the Windows Phone app for Desktop
wpappfw.png

So obviously, Music Hub Tile got it all right! And Xbox music, let me just not say a thing.

Lastly, here are my real iTunes songs for each playlist
tg.png

So obviously, Xbox Music happens to SPICE things up not once, not twice, not even thrice but multiple times!

I'm really devastated in this app. I'd be fine with some of my album covers and artist backgrounds not showing up but when the usability and stability of the app is concerned, I really have to be vocal about it.

While this may not be everyone's problem, I find this to be a HUGE let down especially coming from the previous Xbox Music app. Also coming from iOS. The Xbox Music app before 8.1 did pretty much whatever I wanted it to and that's the reason I never cared for the iPhone I left before. But this new Xbox Music app is just something else and it's not right.

Sadly, if Xbox Music isn't fixed until the Windows 10 for Phone upgrade, I'm afraid I need to switch back to iOS. Music is a huge part of my life and while Music Hub Tile does the job, I can't really buy another smart phone with an unstable stock music player.

If it wasn't for Windows 10 for Phone, I would be picking up that iPhone when my contract is up this February but I love the ecosystem so I'm staying until the next huge update. Please fix this, Microsoft. The app is straight up disappointing.

Sorry for the big post but I've been wanting to use the stock player for the longest time but its instability is stopping me.

Attachments

• wp_ss_20141121_0001.jpg
    wp_ss_20141121_0001.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 59
  • wp_ss_20141121_0002.jpg
    wp_ss_20141121_0002.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 7

Dos101

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site

It's obviously going to be a personal thing, but I like having album art for all my albums. Can't stand when it shows a blank spot for the album art lol. It also makes it easier to quickly find an album you're looking for, especially for artists that have 6+ albums.

I actually ALWAYS see to it that there is album art in every song in my collection. It sounds really dorky but it's really part of the experience. I really adore the Zune interface and that's one of the main reasons I switched from iOS to Windows Phone.

My problem with Xbox Music is after I sync some new music to my phone, it doesn't recognize those songs but the Music Hub Tile does.

Also, my playlists are NEVER updated when in the music hub tile, it's current. The big problem here obviously is the new Xbox Music. Not only is it a slowpoke, it's actually unreliable as well. I don't know if it's just me but these are FACTS.

Here are screenshots for proof:

View attachment 88647

So here are the differences:
A-List (This list is being changed every week for new songs)
Hub Tile = 53 songs
Xbox = 41 songs

Conference?? I unsynced that playlist MONTHS ago.

Gym 2.0 (My workout playlist obviously :cool:)
Hub Tile = 257
Xbox = 0?? WTF!

Gym Daily? Like Conference I unsynced that playlist MONTHS ago.

Run (My running playlist. PS as all of you can see I'm really active so I need to switch up my playlists every now and then)
Hub Tile = 427
Xbox Music = Another EGG!

Slow? I unsynced that, yes you got it MONTHS ago.
Slow WP (Windows Phone) Ha. only has 4 songs on Xbox Music

The Top 200 Most Played Playlist was synced a couple of weeks ago and is nowhere to be found in Xbox Music.

Here's my synced playlists from the Windows Phone app for Desktop
View attachment 88649

So obviously, Music Hub Tile got it all right! And Xbox music, let me just not say a thing.

Lastly, here are my real iTunes songs for each playlist
View attachment 88650

So obviously, Xbox Music happens to SPICE things up not once, not twice, not even thrice but multiple times!

I'm really devastated in this app. I'd be fine with some of my album covers and artist backgrounds not showing up but when the usability and stability of the app is concerned, I really have to be vocal about it.

While this may not be everyone's problem, I find this to be a HUGE let down especially coming from the previous Xbox Music app. Also coming from iOS. The Xbox Music app before 8.1 did pretty much whatever I wanted it to and that's the reason I never cared for the iPhone I left before. But this new Xbox Music app is just something else and it's not right.

Sadly, if Xbox Music isn't fixed until the Windows 10 for Phone upgrade, I'm afraid I need to switch back to iOS. Music is a huge part of my life and while Music Hub Tile does the job, I can't really buy another smart phone with an unstable stock music player.

If it wasn't for Windows 10 for Phone, I would be picking up that iPhone when my contract is up this February but I love the ecosystem so I'm staying until the next huge update. Please fix this, Microsoft. The app is straight up disappointing.

Sorry for the big post but I've been wanting to use the stock player for the longest time but its instability is stopping me.

I've had this exact same experience as well, and it's just maddening how Xbox Music doesn't "just work". I've been using FMM2 for listening to music as the music hub tile strangely shows duplicates for some songs (at least for me). It'll show all my music on my microsd card, and for some artists it'll have duplicate songs in an album, but for the duplicate songs it shows the streaming symbol beside it (and I did turn off "Connect with Xbox Music").

jomarr

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
I've had this exact same experience as well, and it's just maddening how Xbox Music doesn't "just work". I've been using FMM2 for listening to music as the music hub tile strangely shows duplicates for some songs (at least for me). It'll show all my music on my microsd card, and for some artists it'll have duplicate songs in an album, but for the duplicate songs it shows the streaming symbol beside it (and I did turn off "Connect with Xbox Music").

Thank goodness it's not only me.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos