Build on top of the original Zune code

anon(5383410)

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Just take the original code and add whatever cloud functionality you need to "modernize it". The Zune software was easily MS's best invention in the past 15-20 years. Why scrap it? Why not build on top of an already solid foundation? They could STILL do this and call it XBM 2.1 or whatever. Sure it would take a while but I'd be willing to wait for an efficient product.

BRING BACK ZUNE (or it's code)!

ChristianKing

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
This was #1 on their user request site for two years and they never addressed it once. Face it, its never gonna happen. Why, who knows, but obviously they are ok with this music revolt. They think we are going to just take the crappy XBOX Music app and wait out their updates. But in this particular case they have lost their minds. The music experience on competing platforms are more than suitable. And as much as I love my XBOX Music pass, its useless if the app they provide to access it is a cluster@%&#.

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
Just take the original code and add whatever cloud functionality you need to "modernize it". The Zune software was easily MS's best invention in the past 15-20 years. Why scrap it? Why not build on top of an already solid foundation? They could STILL do this and call it XBM 2.1 or whatever. Sure it would take a while but I'd be willing to wait for an efficient product.

BRING BACK ZUNE (or it's code)!

I don't think they will ever bring it back,in any manner.

Bill Gates and Dave McLaughlin left,no one left to fight for it..and they don't want to be reminded of the past there..

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Retrofitting old code can potentially be more of a pain than starting from scratch.

Source: My computer science class

They may do dumb things at times, but I'm sure there had to be some sort of internal disagreement.

omgitsnick

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
In a way, Zune is what powers Xbox Music, but it also makes sense that it should be part of Xbox entertainment. I for one vote to bring back the old Zune functionality to WP8. It hardly had any major updates on WP7, only added a few features in 7.5, and errors were fixed on the server end. You could say that it was already perfect, had the option to toggle cloud sync, and had extra Xbox options. Hubs should've never been separated in the first place as this served to categorise the phones functionality in a beautiful manner. Instead, what they should've done is what they did with the People hub - allow apps to share their content within the hub. Just imagine the music hub gathering infos from different apps, all in one page.

If anything, there is a 3rd party zune app but the guy wouldn't share it.
http://forums.windowscentral.com/xbox-music/281761-fixing-xbox-music-ui.html#post2520128

dlalonde

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, most of the time, when the code's too messed up or doesn't concur with what you need to do, you have to start over or else it becomes more of a mess, slow and hard to maintain.

Um, since xandros9 stated his source, I'll do it too :winktongue: : I'm a dev (and an IT).

The code is not as important as the functionnalities. In other words, even if they wanted to rewrite the whole thing, they should have started with Zune's functionnalities and build on that.

anon(5383410)

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, most of the time, when the code's too messed up or doesn't concur with what you need to do, you have to start over or else it becomes more of a mess, slow and hard to maintain.

Um, since xandros9 stated his source, I'll do it too :winktongue: : I'm a dev (and an IT).

The code is not as important as the functionnalities. In other words, even if they wanted to rewrite the whole thing, they should have started with Zune's functionnalities and build on that.

I'm also a developer and know Zune was developed in .NET. Incorporating .NET code from years ago into anew application is far from reinventing the whee. Besides' I'm not talking about copying and pasting code or even importing dlls. The paradigm used to develop Zune could've been recreated and incorprorated into the XMB code base. I've spent years porting apps which a much larger technology gap than this ( ie porting a vb6 app into WPF). This is nowhere near as difficult.

I understand what you guys are saying but I think this decision was more political than anything. Shame.

dlalonde

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
I'm also a developer and know Zune was developed in .NET. Incorporating .NET code from years ago into anew application is far from reinventing the whee. Besides' I'm not talking about copying and pasting code or even importing dlls. The paradigm used to develop Zune could've been recreated and incorprorated into the XMB code base. I've spent years porting apps which a much larger technology gap than this ( ie porting a vb6 app into WPF). This is nowhere near as difficult.

I understand what you guys are saying but I think this decision was more political than anything. Shame.

Possible, but why would they do that? Rebranding a service is not that hard. The path they've chosen seems a lot more dreadful.

BataBole

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
I would like to know who stands behind xbox music app. Can't believe that someone from Microsoft can make such a slow, buggy, messy app for music! Darn, you're Microsoft! This should not be happening!

I'm glad that there are many developers out there so we could expect some new great music apps.

One questions for developers.
If Microsoft could make xbox music app integrated as part of OS (which will not happen) would it be faster and more reliable than separate app?
I'm not developer so take it easy :D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes