06-24-2014 03:25 PM
32 12
tools
    Well,this is what I learnt today

1. Nokia MixRadio Unlimited- You can stream unlimited songs and download them in 64kbps MP4 format. Available in India

2. Nokia MixRadio+- You can stream unlimited songs and can save offline mixes, but still have to pay for album downloads. Albums I wanted cost around 7-10 USD each. Files are DRM-Free
    3. Xbox Music- Can only listen to samples in the free version. With a music pass, can stream unlimited music but still need to pay to download songs/albums. Albums I wanted cost 5-6 USD each. Files are DRM protected.

Finally, I settled with an unlikely service- ITunes.

This is the only major service which allows you to purchase music officially in India in INR ₹. Albums cost less than 2 USD (120₹), but are high quality M4A format and are DRM-free.

Its sad that I had to choose apple over Nokia and Microsoft and it made me uneasy going outside the ecosystem, but iTunes in India beats the others hands down.

Thanks everyone for all your help.
    06-23-2014 02:53 PM

1. Nokia MixRadio Unlimited- You can stream unlimited songs and download them in 64kbps MP4 format. Available in India

2. Nokia MixRadio+- You can stream unlimited songs and can save offline mixes, but still have to pay for album downloads. Albums I wanted cost around 7-10 USD each. Files are DRM-Free
    3. Xbox Music- Can only listen to samples in the free version. With a music pass, can stream unlimited music but still need to pay to download songs/albums. Albums I wanted cost 5-6 USD each. Files are DRM protected.

This is the only major service which allows you to purchase music officially in India in INR ₹. Albums cost less than 2 USD (120₹), but are high quality M4A format and are DRM-free.

Its sad that I had to choose apple over Nokia and Microsoft and it made me uneasy going outside the ecosystem, but iTunes in India beats the others hands down.

Xbox music with the free version you can listen to 10 hours of music per month I think. With a music pass you can stream and download as much as you want DRM music of course. If you buy any music, its yours to keep and you can do with it what you will I.e DRM free
    06-23-2014 03:08 PM
    Xbox music with the free version you can listen to 10 hours of music per month I think. With a music pass you can stream and download as much as you want DRM music of course. If you buy any music, its yours to keep and you can do with it what you will I.e DRM free
    Thanks. In India, you can't use Xbox Music at all, without changing your Xbox region to US or another supported country.

Thanks for the correction. I didn't know that purchased music files were DRM free
    06-24-2014 12:51 AM
    Yes; also -in the US and a growing list of countries- the free Xbox Music plays/streams full songs and albums; and the 10 hours/month limit is after 6 months.
    06-24-2014 02:41 PM
    Yes; also -in the US and a growing list of countries- the free Xbox Music plays/streams full songs and albums; and the 10 hours/month limit is after 6 months.
    This is only for the Xbox music app for Windows 8.1, not windows phone 8 or windows phone 8.1 developers preview. On the phone apps you need a music pass to stream songs and download. I never understood why the phone app is treated differently.
    06-24-2014 02:58 PM

Too bad, but at least you'll have MUSIC. But, iTunes is not a service, as such. It is only a platform for buying and organizing music and other media. iTunes radio is Apple's free streaming service here that -like Nokia, Spotify, etc., features "expert"-selected mixes/playlists only.

BTW, Xbox Music Pass download files are 192 kbps, and when you buy a track, it converts it to 320 kbps.
    06-24-2014 03:08 PM
    This is only for the Xbox music app for Windows 8.1, not windows phone 8 or windows phone 8.1 developers preview. On the phone apps you need a music pass to stream songs and download. I never understood why the phone app is treated differently.
    True: I've been seeing this as a device limitation, rather than an app limitation. I can only stream XBM Pass music on my Xbox 360, unless I purchase an Xbox Live Gold subscription too.
    06-24-2014 03:25 PM
32 12