DRM free music - where?

slyronit

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Hello All,

I wish to convert my dubious (Ahem!) music collection to legal MP3s. What is the best service for that? I am in India, but can use VPN to bypass region restrictions.

Xbox music says I can download my music for offline use. Can this only be played on Windows/Windows phone devices? I want to be able to play my music in my car too.

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Xbox music service is not available in India. It also requires xbobx music pass /subscription. You can use Nokia mix radio if you have a Nokia lumia device.

slyronit

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Xbox music service is not available in India. It also requires xbobx music pass /subscription. You can use Nokia mix radio if you have a Nokia lumia device.
Thanks. That is not a problem. I can use VPN and my Xbox region is already set to UK (To enable music search using Cortana on Windows Phone).

I am aware I need to buy a music pass for that. My question is, can the downloaded music be played on any device, or just Windows devices (DRM protected?). If not, what other service can I use to buy music? Location restrictions are not an issue.

Again, Mix Radio will only let me stream music, not download and store for indefinite use.

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Thanks. That is not a problem. I can use VPN and my Xbox region is already set to UK (To enable music search using Cortana on Windows Phone).

I am aware I need to buy a music pass for that. My question is, can the downloaded music be played on any device, or just Windows devices (DRM protected?). If not, what other service can I use to buy music? Location restrictions are not an issue.

Again, Mix Radio will only let me stream music, not download and store for indefinite use.

If you purchase Xbox music pass you will be able to download DRM protected music. Where as Nokia mix radio offers DRM free music download. I am able to download music on my device. Looks like your subsection is expired. You can renew it for ₹281 for 3 months unlimited download :)

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
If you purchase Xbox music pass you will be able to download DRM protected music. Where as Nokia mix radio offers DRM free music download. I am able to download music on my device. Looks like your subsection is expired. You can renew it for ₹281 for 3 months unlimited download :)

You are correct. I have Mix Radio+ subscription, and songs that I download are DRM-free. I have no issues playing my purchased songs on my PCs, as well as on my 920.

I saved my songs purchased from Mix Radio+ on my external HDD, and I can even play them in VLC in Linux (yes, I have 2 PCs that run Linux).

slyronit

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site

Thanks. I have downloaded music from Mix Radio before, however in those days the downloads were 64kbps low quality tracks. Has that changed?

Is the recharge still via the pathetic oxigen website?

slyronit

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
You are correct. I have Mix Radio+ subscription, and songs that I download are DRM-free. I have no issues playing my purchased songs on my PCs, as well as on my 920.

I saved my songs purchased from Mix Radio+ on my external HDD, and I can even play them in VLC in Linux (yes, I have 2 PCs that run Linux).

Thanks, I will check it out

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Thanks. I have downloaded music from Mix Radio before, however in those days the downloads were 64kbps low quality tracks. Has that changed?

With my Mix Radio+ subscription the quality is 256 kbps.

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site

You can go for mix radio + subscription(they have higher bit rate )I purchased the coupon from Nokia care centre in Delhi :)

slyronit

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Ok so this is the problem now.

With the 3/6/12 month recharge, I only get Nokia Music unlimited, which allows downloads of 64kbps tracks.

MixRadio+ is not available in India. Can anyone send me a link where I can subscribe to it? I will try to use VPN to bypass country restrictions.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

With the 3/6/12 month recharge, I only get Nokia Music unlimited, which allows downloads of 64kbps tracks.

MixRadio+ is not available in India. Can anyone send me a link where I can subscribe to it? I will try to use VPN to bypass country restrictions.
VPN is not needed. Mix Radio+ is available in India. http://www.nokia.com/in-en/subscription-plan/

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site

Oxicash does not have the new mix radio + coupons. As far I know lumia 1020,1520 have 1 year mix radio plus subscription. You can get the same from nearest Nokia care centre.

slyronit

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Problem! Two Nokia Care centres near my place didn't have Mix Radio+ subscriptions. They couldn't even understand what it meant.

I am surprised there no place to buy online, even outside India. It's like Nokia deliberately doesn't want to sell music.

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site

I got my voucher from Kohat Enclave (West Delhi ), tried many other outlets but they all were running out of stock.
You can go via Delhi metro (you to change from Kashmiri gate ->Rithala (Red Line ). Hardly 50-60m away away from metro station , opposite to Gulab sweet palace or near metro pillar no 353

slyronit

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Ok, I visited a few Nokia Priority dealers and Nokia Care centres today. They all said they have Nokia MixRadio unlimited subscriptions - Rs.50 for 7 days, Rs.99 for 30 days, Rs.250 for 90 days, however, Nokia MixRadio Plus (Premium) is not available in India. I called the Kohat Enclave one, but no one answered the phone there.

Are you sure that the one you have is for Plus and not for unlimited? I am fine with unlimited, too, as long as it's not 64kbps.

Laura - Where in the US do you buy the vouchers? Is there an online website?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss