XBOX Music loading time...

anon(5383410)

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Timed it this morning. Opened the app and went to browse albums. 2 minutes 41 seconds....of Loading...before I could view an album.

The app seems to be getting progressively worse. I don't get it. I have nothing in the cloud, none of my music was purchased through the xbox store. It's all stored locally on the phone. Even if it's running some sort of merging algorithm to add anything that could potentially exist in the cloud, that algorithm is horrible. How long does it takes to merge with an empty set?

Warren_S

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
I get the same thing. All local music too. Totally frustrating. I've already jumped ship to the el-cheapo Moto G, which works properly. But I love the windows simple interface so I hope they get it working then I'll probably try WP again.

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Timed it this morning. Opened the app and went to browse albums. 2 minutes 41 seconds....of Loading...before I could view an album.

The app seems to be getting progressively worse. I don't get it. I have nothing in the cloud, none of my music was purchased through the xbox store. It's all stored locally on the phone. Even if it's running some sort of merging algorithm to add anything that could potentially exist in the cloud, that algorithm is horrible. How long does it takes to merge with an empty set?
Have you turned off xbox/cloud sync under settings?

anon(5383410)

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Yup I turned off cloud sync. Loading...

What's worse is that it seems to restart the load after it's already loaded if you close and reopen the app.

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Yup I turned off cloud sync. Loading...

What's worse is that it seems to restart the load after it's already loaded if you close and reopen the app.
Weird. My 920 running wp8.1 dev preview. Starts the searching mode every time I open Xbox music even though nothings been added. It doesn't slow down or effect anything. All my music is still there, more of an annoyance then anything.

anon(5383410)

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Weird. My 920 running wp8.1 dev preview. Starts the searching mode every time I open Xbox music even though nothings been added. It doesn't slow down or effect anything. All my music is still there, more of an annoyance then anything.

Mine has reached the point where after I play it for over an hour I have about a 50/50 change of it opening and working or either freezing at the green "headphone screen" or showing a black screen that gets stuck at 'resuming...'

I'm giving MS until the end of the Summer to fix this. If it isn't corrected 'm switching to Android and cancelling my Surface Pro 3 pre-order. I refuse to deal with a sub-par media experience on such expensive hardware.

Isn't it ironic that media management software attracted people to the platform (Zune/WP7) and now it's got people thinking of abandoning it? A microcosm of how horribly out of touch MS management has become.

Last edited:

RTGent

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
Mine opens, loads, and plays without any delay on my 1020 black beauty running 8.0. On a fresh phone power-up, the app opens immediately when I hit the live tile, showing the Collection screen and a play button at the bottom. On most days and occasions, I just press the button and my shuffle starts in a snap and plays continuously as long as I need. It keeps playing even if I shut down the app -now that is an app that likes my music as much as I do. Most of the time I'm playing music on my phone, I'm just pressing the pause and play buttons that show on the wake-up/lock screen when I either tap the screen or press the power key. Simple, effective, and elegant. On my Win 7 Focus phone, the app also opens immediately, but I have to press Music, cursor to Songs, and then press "shuffle all". I never thought of that as slow, but Win 8 is surely sweeter yet on my 1020. Sorry that some of your devices aren't working well. BTW, and accordingly, I'm in no hurry for the official 8.1, any more than I was waiting for Mango. :wink:

anon(5383410)

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
The new update seems to have addressed this. It no longer performs the search when I open the app. I'll be putting it to the test when I run this weekend. Hopefully it's resolved because this was the only thing keeping me from pledging my undying support for the platform.

Team Windows phone recruit...

Hi Fadia

Jan 14, 2014
Visit site
Even after the new update, it still freezes at the green logo screen for... I also don't have any music on the cloud and I don't buy music from the Xbox store so I have no idea why this happens

I just use music+ free, it works better than the Xbox app and has more features

Ashish Gupta888

Retired Ambassador
Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
For me, Music app works just fine, I mean it does not take too many seconds to load stuffs. But, I am having hard time with Xbox Video. Crap App!!
It takes almost minute or half to load my personal videos!!! Not sure, what are they updating as bug fix or improvements. I wish I could kick this app off!!

BataBole

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
Well I don't see Xbox music app getting any better in near future. In the latest update, Eminem became Jay-Z. I mean, WTF?! It messes up all my data, album cover, not sorted by year or anything. And of course I get constant Loading...

anon(5383410)

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Even after the new update, it still freezes at the green logo screen for... I also don't have any music on the cloud and I don't buy music from the Xbox store so I have no idea why this happens

I just use music+ free, it works better than the Xbox app and has more features
Well that was deflating. I was also experiencing the "green screen of death" issue. It's unfortunate to hear that it persists. My original statement still stands then. I'll stick with Microsoft through the Summer and if Xbox Music isn't fixed by Labor Day, I'm shopping for an Android phone.

Dave Scarpa

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
The Xbox Music App I'm running on my Ipod Touch is a 1000 times better than the WP8.1 update, its faster, my music shows up there faster I added 2 albums to my collection this morning they instantly showed on the touch they are still not showing on my 1520. In feb when my contact is up I'm going to probably switch.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
A lot of people on the WPCentral article say the app is a lot faster for them and smoother. That's not me. If anything the app is worse than before. I don't know if that's because I have over 10GB of music on there. Maybe having fewer songs helps with background syncing. I don't know.

What I do know is that MixRadio works way better for general playback. Initial start-up is slow (though still faster than Xbox Music), but once loaded all my songs are there and I can scroll through them at lightning speed. Tracks don't disappear while scrolling down the list. It even loaded my playlists from Xbox Music. The UI is less cluttered and album art hasn't failed me yet. Plus, I can pin the "My Music" tile straight to my start screen for easy access. MixRadio is now my default music player.

I don't have a lot of major app problems with 8.1 but Xbox Music definitely wins all awards for worst possible app. It needs to be reworked from the ground up. I'm happy there are alternatives.

anon(5383410)

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
A lot of people on the WPCentral article say the app is a lot faster for them and smoother. That's not me. If anything the app is worse than before. I don't know if that's because I have over 10GB of music on there. Maybe having fewer songs helps with background syncing. I don't know.

What I do know is that MixRadio works way better for general playback. Initial start-up is slow (though still faster than Xbox Music), but once loaded all my songs are there and I can scroll through them at lightning speed. Tracks don't disappear while scrolling down the list. It even loaded my playlists from Xbox Music. The UI is less cluttered and album art hasn't failed me yet. Plus, I can pin the "My Music" tile straight to my start screen for easy access. MixRadio is now my default music player.

I don't have a lot of major app problems with 8.1 but Xbox Music definitely wins all awards for worst possible app. It needs to be reworked from the ground up. I'm happy there are alternatives.

+1 for MixRadio. That's what I've currently switched to until they fix XBM.

I'd also like to add that this is also making their platform look bad to other potential customers. People can SEE that huge green screen and tell by the user's facial expression that their phone is acting up. When I'm on the treadmill in the gym I know people in my immediate vicinity can see me having issues with my music app. Regulars at my gym probably know by now that I own a Windows Phone and I'm constantly having issues while trying to listen to music. We really don't have to blast the platform for its faults to be visible to others.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
I've been using Listen free version since yesterday and it's really really fast and the best part is it doesn't mess up my metadata when playing songs through Bluetooth. I bought the full version but ended up using the free version since its faster than the full version

anon(5383410)

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I've been using Listen free version since yesterday and it's really really fast and the best part is it doesn't mess up my metadata when playing songs through Bluetooth. I bought the full version but ended up using the free version since its faster than the full version

Just downloaded listen. It looks pretty slick. Search is incredibly fast. The opening line says 'listen for windows phone 8.1 coming this summer" which is also encouraging since they're telling me they plan on maintaining it. I'll keep this one too and alternate between it and mixradio. Hopefully their new 8.1 version will be even better.

Hi Fadia

Jan 14, 2014
Visit site
Downloaded listen, it has a beautiful UI but lacks basic features unless you buy the app (which I can't since I don't have a credit card)
My music collection is less than 3gb so it can't be the size that's giving me problems with the Xbox music app (just tried to use it, spent 2 mins at the green logo screen before giving up and existing...)
I just want a basic music player that sorts my music by artists.. I don't even use playlists anymore.

Btw, is MixRadio only available for Nokia devices? I have a Samsung ativ s

spyderzWPC

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
That first load of music took forever. I don't doubt his 2.51 timing. after my initial load it seems to be moving a lot faster

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb