Is it possible to bring back Zune?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ebuka Allison

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
This isn't a bring back Zube rant or anything, I just wanna know if It'd be technically possible to bring back Zune and rebrand it as XBM witha GDR or something

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I'd imagine Microsoft could use the name Zune or any other name of an old discontinued product it wanted to, since it owns the rights to that name. Even Bob could probably be resurrected.

However, I doubt if Microsoft would reuse names of products that were considered commercial failures.
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Tapatalk

Ebuka Allison

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
No, not the Zune name. The Zune product itself, just with all the hooks and stuff pointing at Xbox Music and all Zune references replaced with XBM

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
No, not the Zune name. The Zune product itself, just with all the hooks and stuff pointing at Xbox Music and all Zune references replaced with XBM

It may seem as simple as ctrl+f all references to Zune and replacing it, but retrofitting old code can very quickly become a big mess, starting from scratch probably was for the best.

I imagine them thinking "screw it, we'll start all over"

I once had a problem in my CS class which no one could fix. Teacher didn't know, I didnt know, I accidentally deleted it and scrambled to recreate it. And boom, it magically worked.

anon(5383410)

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
An official feature request to bring back Zune was already posted in the official Microsoft feature request forum. They closed the thread and labeled it DENIED despite an overwhelming number of votes to bring back Zune. As much as we want it to, it's not happening.

They did open up the xbox music API so hopefully someone will develop something better than the train wreck that is Xbox Music.

Ebuka Allison

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
An official feature request to bring back Zune was already posted in the official Microsoft feature request forum. They closed the thread and labeled it DENIED despite an overwhelming number of votes to bring back Zune. As much as we want it to, it's not happening.

They did open up the xbox music API so hopefully someone will develop something better than the train wreck that is Xbox Music.
That was to bring back Zune sync, threads about Zune are still open

anon(5383410)

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Even of that were true, if they're telling you they aren't going to allow you to use Zune to sync your music why would they "bring back" Zune? Wouldn't allowing people to sync with Zune essentially BE bringing back Zune?

Ebuka Allison

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
Even of that were true, if they're telling you they aren't going to allow you to use Zune to sync your music why would they "bring back" Zune? Wouldn't allowing people to sync with Zune essentially BE bringing back Zune?
Do you mind reading the OP? I am curious about the technical possibility

Ebuka Allison

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
I read the original post. You want a hypothetical if to a question that was already been established as not going to happen? Are you writing a research paper?

No. Just curious. And since I'm not a cat I was hoping it wouldn't kill me.

Mods- The question has been answered, please lock this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes