Uncompressed music - how/is it possible?

Great deal

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Hi All,

Quick question, is it possible to put music completely uncompressed onto my phone, how much space would 1 song take up?

Thanks!

RTGent

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
Going lossless is a big compromise. To me, it's only worth it for music I rip myself, and then mostly only for relatively rare truly superior recordings. This holds even when using quality DACs, amplified headphones, etc. (Sorry about the formatting below)

Here's a sampling for three tracks, all running 6' 10". Xbox Music tracks download at wma 192 Kbps, Xbox Music purchases download at or covert to mp3 320 Kbps. The WMA lossless is from a CD rip in Zune. Only my ZuneHD 64 and Zune 80 players can accommodate my current 62 GB Collection, about 75 percent of which is at 192 Kbps. You can do calculations using these ratios; that is, a 3' 5" lossless track takes about half the space as the 6' 10" does.

time type bit rate size

6:10 mp3 320 Kbps 14.3 MB
6:10 wma 192 Kbps 8.7 MB
6:10 wma 1.04 Mbps 44.2 MB

Great deal

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Going lossless is a big compromise. To me, it's only worth it for music I rip myself, and then mostly only for relatively rare truly superior recordings. This holds even when using quality DACs, amplified headphones, etc. (Sorry about the formatting below)

Here's a sampling for three tracks, all running 6' 10". Xbox Music tracks download at wma 192 Kbps, Xbox Music purchases download at or covert to mp3 320 Kbps. The WMA lossless is from a CD rip in Zune. Only my ZuneHD 64 and Zune 80 players can accommodate my current 62 GB Collection, about 75 percent of which is at 192 Kbps. You can do calculations using these ratios; that is, a 3' 5" lossless track takes about half the space as the 6' 10" does.

time type bit rate size

6:10 mp3 320 Kbps 14.3 MB
6:10 wma 192 Kbps 8.7 MB
6:10 wma 1.04 Mbps 44.2 MB

Thanks for the response. Idealy I want everything lossless, space is not an issue for me really, cloud or sdcard wise. Im noob when it comes to music though. So if i put a cd in my PC how do i rip it lossless without compression, how do I add it to XBM without compression, if I buy something on XBM will it be compressed if so how can I get it lossless or is it lossless compression?

RTGent

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
Disclaimer: I occupy 99% of my considerable music time listening to and learning about the actual music, and 1% learning about these software matters. So, I'm not a newbie, but I'm very far from expert on this stuff. I know least about your last clause/question and my last paragraph.

There will be Rip settings in your music software, and you'll want to select a lossless format. I use Zune; pre-Zune, I did it with Windows Media Player. Zune saves in WMA lossless only, which is compressed; WMP in either WMA, or WAV, which is uncompressed. Most popular lossless formats, including FLAC and ALAC are compressed formats. In Zune, go to Settings --> Software --> Rip; in WMP, go to Organize --> Options --> Rip Music. You can also select in either to Rip CDs automatically. I have Zune set to rip in lossless, but not automatically.

As for how to get it on XBM, I can't help. I now sync only Zune players, because I cannot sync my Lumia 1020 with Windows 7. I only have the 1020 set to sync with my server/cloud music, which consists of a mysterious selection of any/everything I've ever downloaded, and everything I've purchased. As for purchasing lossless, you'll have to rely on your Rips, and on purchases from specialized sites/services that sell lossless at premium rates. Enjoy the music, in all formats. :wink:

Great deal

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Disclaimer: I occupy 99% of my considerable music time listening to and learning about the actual music, and 1% learning about these software matters. So, I'm not a newbie, but I'm very far from expert on this stuff. I know least about your last clause/question and my last paragraph.

There will be Rip settings in your music software, and you'll want to select a lossless format. I use Zune; pre-Zune, I did it with Windows Media Player. Zune saves in WMA lossless only, which is compressed; WMP in either WMA, or WAV, which is uncompressed. Most popular lossless formats, including FLAC and ALAC are compressed formats. In Zune, go to Settings --> Software --> Rip; in WMP, go to Organize --> Options --> Rip Music. You can also select in either to Rip CDs automatically. I have Zune set to rip in lossless, but not automatically.

As for how to get it on XBM, I can't help. I now sync only Zune players, because I cannot sync my Lumia 1020 with Windows 7. I only have the 1020 set to sync with my server/cloud music, which consists of a mysterious selection of any/everything I've ever downloaded, and everything I've purchased. As for purchasing lossless, you'll have to rely on your Rips, and on purchases from specialized sites/services that sell lossless at premium rates. Enjoy the music, in all formats. :wink:

Hehe thanks again and experiencing great music is absolutely where time and effort will be spent, I was curious as to the difference in audible quality between them hence my eagerness to try everything I have lossless. I have windows Media Player and will rip some stuff.

Thanks again :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786