Organising My Tunes

Arcalis

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
Hey everyone, I was wondering if I could tap the collective forum knowledge with regards to organising my music collection :)

Here's my situation. For years, I used to download all my music manually, keeping it neat in iTunes (I had the first iPod Photo...oh how I loved it). Over the years since the interwebz has gone mad, I have turned to subscription-based music services. For a while it was Spotify but now it's Xbox Music. Alongside using cloud-based services, I kept expanding my local music collection but I never really kept it organised. However, now that Office365 subscriptions give you 1TB of storage, I want to upload my collection to OneDrive and then add the whole collection to XBM (I've heard rumblings that the XMB app on WP will soon allow us to tap into music stored on our OneDrives...). Anyway, even if that doesn't happen, I still want my music organised so that it's neat within the XBM app on my PC.

I was wondering if anyone knows of any magical software that can organise all my tunes. That is, pull all my tracks from the same album together into one folder (so that it appears as one release within XBM), tag everything (as much as possible) and add album artwork. I just want to break the back of my 50+GB collection automatically, before sorting the more problematic releases manually.

If anyone can suggest some cunning ways to achieve this automatically, that would be fantastic.

Many thanks.

AaHaa

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
Ah, I feel you. I'm exactly the same. Here's my strategy:
- First off, turn of any options that might mess with your data in the Xbox Music app (Charms > Preferences)
- Then, use MP3Tag (Mp3tag - the universal Tag Editor (ID3v2, MP4, OGG, FLAC, ...)) to tag your music files. I love this application because you're writing directly into your files and you won't have to use some other program like iTunes or Zune.
- Over the last months (years?) Xbox Music has improved a lot in terms of how well it shows your music collection. I'm actually warming up to it. Here's how my collection looks now (excuse the Dutch). IT'S FREAKING BEAUTIFUL:

Schermopname (67).jpgSchermopname (68).pngSchermopname (69).png

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs