Here's a plan to fix Xbox Music app

BataBole

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
So, here it is..

For GOD SAKE reduce its size! It takes nearly 100 MB for an app that was supposed to be playing music! Don't you think it may be a reason for such slow responding in app? Sh!T

Other apps on Store takes up to 5 MB and can do all stuff that Xbox Music app do! And YES, they are a way much faster and responsive!

Last edited:

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
I don't know what you're talking about. Unless you meant the file size in megabits, which still doesn't make sense.

XBOX Music is slow, but I can assure you that it's not down to the size of the code, but how efficient it is.

WDavis4692

Jun 12, 2014
Visit site
Huh? As of the latest update I find Xbox music to be pretty nippy. Only time it's a tad slow for my liking is when you press the back button to return from a song to the album list, which takes about two seconds. Apart from that, it's quick enough!

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
Huh? As of the latest update I find Xbox music to be pretty nippy. Only time it's a tad slow for my liking is when you press the back button to return from a song to the album list, which takes about two seconds. Apart from that, it's quick enough!

Agreed - the last update definitely improved the speed A LOT - not music+videos hub zippy but fast enough to not frustrate the heck outta me :p. Unfortunately, converting a bunch of old code to the new WinRT platform (that is, converting the old music+videos code) will take time - especially things that involve speed optimisation and bug fixing. Literally it is like reading through hundreds of lines of a book proofreading it and finding ways to make things better....it won't be instant

Reeves

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
It's still waaaaaaaay too slow coming in and out of the app. Anytime, i do multitasking and then either "back button" my way back to Xbox Music or hold down the back button and select that card.....I get the "Resuming dot dot dot dot dot dot....." screen for way too long. Sometimes, 10-20 seconds or so.

I've actually had to force close the app (while the music kept playing), then try restarting (live tile was unresponsive for 4-6 seconds), then sit through another 5 seconds of opening splash screen just to be able to pick a different album. And that was this morning.

Im_Q

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
First of all, the app itself is only 13MB as of version 2.6.186 (the current latest). You're probably going by the size that is reported by the OS which includes any app data it generates.
Second, app size has no bearing on the speed of an app. It's not like the bigger it is, the more weight it has so the slower it goes. I have a 170mb app that makes extensive use of large images and it runs quite zippy.
Third, it needs all that space because it caches data from your music library. This includes album art, artist art, individual song meta data and probably its location for quick access. This eliminates the need to repull images from the web or the song file or rescanning your phone for songs.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGluco2