First let me say I have had a subscription since the Zune was first released way back when and now of course it is an Xbox Music subscription.

I currently own a Nokia Icon running 8.0 and a surface pro 3 running 8.1 and my daughter has an iPhone with the Xbox music app on there and her own subscription to Xbox music.

My daughter is using a TON of data... I asked why she is streaming her collection rather then downloading what she wants to hear using wifi at home, she says she does not have an option to download. I know on my Surface I am able to download as much subscription music as I want. I am assuming that iOS only allows you to stream music from XBOX music just like the XBOX. My daughter is also limited by space and has a VERY large music collection, so even if she is able to download to her iPhone she would be limited as to how much. So I had the bright idea of maybe buying her an unlocked windows phone to use as an MP3 player. As I said I have downloaded a ton of subscription music to my Surface, but on my Windows phone I have only listened to music I own and have transferred to the phone. So before purchasing I decided to hop on my phone and see what was involved in downloading subscription music and to my surprise there seems to be no option to do so! I have done a little bit of research on the subject and I am unable to find much info at all! If what I found is correct, when my phone is upgraded to windows 8.1, I will be able to download subscription music to my phone. That is assuming the upgrade ever arrives to my phone (which of course is a different topic completely)

So my questions are:

1. Am I correct that using the iOS Xbox app, you are only allowed to stream?
    2. On a windows 8 phone you currently can only stream, unless you have moved songs you own to the phone?
    3. Once my phone is upgraded to 8.1 will I be able to download subscription music?
    4. If 8.1 on the phone does allow you to download subscription music, does anybody have a suggestion of a cheap unlocked phone I can buy my daughter so she can download her subscription music?
    09-09-2014 02:52 PM
    I cannot help with any apple questions, but others should. But, you should be able to download to a Windows phone even with 8.0. I did with 8.0 on a Lumia 1020. The 8.0 1020 also synced/downloaded with/from my cloud collection. There are settings involved. Do you have an Xbox? If so, it's great for streaming music and videos, but it also has a My Music app (I believe its called) that allows you to listen to Pass music you've downloaded to your PC. There are settings, etc. involved, but that may be an option for you and your daughter.

The usual geographic limits/qualifications/variations apply.
    09-09-2014 03:45 PM
    Yes, I do have an XBOX, actually there are 4 in the house. And while we do not stream music on our xbox's (we live in the middle of nowhere with lousy internet) we do listen to music on them stored on our PC's.

I see no way on my phone which is running windows 8.0 to download xbox subscription music, nor any settings to do so. The only option is to purchase music. On my Surface Pro 3 (as well as my surface pro 2) I am able to download music when signed in with my Xbox music without having to pay for it.

If anybody knows where to find the settings to download subscription music on my windows 8.0 phone, please let me know.
    09-09-2014 03:56 PM
    So here is an update. I was not seeing the download option because I had to many devices already using my pass. I removed an older device I no longer have and I can download :)
    RTGent likes this.
    09-09-2014 04:18 PM

Been there... Even the more-generous original plan has its limits -one of my Zune players is limited to owned music, and I deleted a PC last week in anticipation of adding a Surface P2 (tomorrow).
    09-10-2014 07:49 AM