Music Glitch Between Songs

Desynthesis

May 12, 2014
Visit site
So, I recall having seen this when 8.1 first hit, but there's been no mention of it since--has anyone else encountered that most (or all) songs played in Xbox Music have a weird "glitch" (a fraction of a second of the song) play right before starting the new song?

We're still waiting on XBox Music to have gapless playback, though personally, this is a more annoying problem for me--and it seems to isolated to using earbuds (so playing music over BT doesn't have the issue--perhaps related to the small delay all sounds playing of BT seem to have). Has anyone encountered a solution?

Desynthesis

May 12, 2014
Visit site
"Cracking" is a better way to describe it. But yes, 8.1.1 didn't do anything about it (I didn't expect it would, though to be frank, I have no idea what it's even supposed to add...stability? Tile folders were last preview updates.

At least Gapless playback seems to be on the suggestion list for Xbox Music, which by necessity would fix the problem, though I don't actually want gapless for most of my music. Pandora doesn't have this issue, which means it's not inherent to any sound, just files read by Xbox Music for playing.

dby2011

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
Yeah the new update didn't fix it :( I think it is an OS issue as even third party apps like Modernmusic does it too. I am hoping when I get the Cyan firmware it will fix it.

Desynthesis

May 12, 2014
Visit site
I don't have this kind of problem in any programs Lumia 520 cyan

Very interesting. I heard about this a long time ago on a 520 back when I downgraded off from 8.1 to 8.0 on my 925.

You're certain you're not streaming music, or listening through BT? Those are the first things to rule out.

Yes MoliPlayer Pro also has this issue. It's definitely an OS issue.

That's actually pretty eye-opening. I installed Music Player and did not have the issue. Unfortunately, for all of its problems, Xbox Music has a lot more functionality I don't want to give up. I'll need to try other third music players as well.

EDIT: I installed ModernMusic and found the same problem. On one hand, this is definitely eye-opening, on the other hand, it's not a good sign--seems like any music not streamed has this problem. So much for a solution.

Last edited:

byobg

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
Very interesting. I heard about this a long time ago on a 520 back when I downgraded off from 8.1 to 8.0 on my 925.

You're certain you're not streaming music, or listening through BT? Those are the first things to rule out.

That's actually pretty eye-opening. I installed Music Player and did not have the issue. Unfortunately, for all of its problems, Xbox Music has a lot more functionality I don't want to give up. I'll need to try other third music players as well.

EDIT: I installed ModernMusic and found the same problem. On one hand, this is definitely eye-opening, on the other hand, it's not a good sign--seems like any music not streamed has this problem. So much for a solution.

I get it on streamed music too. The "glitch" seems to be a VERY brief (~.10 seconds, maybe?) snippet of the previous song's ending - so if the previous song ended quietly, you generally won't notice it. But as far as I can tell, any music app that uses the built-in music-playing APIs will have this artifact. (Apps that don't, such as Spotify or FLAC Player SD, don't have this issue.)

poit57

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
I recently switched phones, so it took me a couple weeks before I got around to putting my music back on my phone. In the meantime, I had been streaming my Xbox Music purchases from the cloud (I don't have a subscription). I didn't notice this glitch on streamed music. I only started noticing it again after I put my own mp3's back on the phone last weekend.

Desynthesis

May 12, 2014
Visit site
I recently switched phones, so it took me a couple weeks before I got around to putting my music back on my phone. In the meantime, I had been streaming my Xbox Music purchases from the cloud (I don't have a subscription). I didn't notice this glitch on streamed music. I only started noticing it again after I put my own mp3's back on the phone last weekend.

In my own experience, it only effects music played off the device. I don't use Xbox Music streaming, but I do use Pandora--which means there's a split-second gap between one song and another as it goes through the library. Ironically, that gap is not just expected, it's also completely silent.

Strangely, the 'cracking' doesn't sound if I'm listening through Blutooth (as in my car--perhaps relating to the split-second delay that's inevitable through BT?). It's with headphones this problem appears.

Though, as Byobg said, some people seem to be having this problem with streaming. And there's not much indication the WP dev team has noticed. It seems to only surefire way to avoid this problem is to NOT update your phone.

suman5492

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
I face the same problem with that glitch in my lumia 520...last update on 10-10-2014 did not solve the issue.Can anybody tell when the next update be released?

Desynthesis

May 12, 2014
Visit site
At the behest of the WP support team, I made a discussion on the Microsoft Community explaining this problem (I did the chat support thing, and they told me to do so).

You can find it here. So there's that, I suppose.

ams963

Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
At the behest of the WP support team, I made a discussion on the Microsoft Community explaining this problem (I did the chat support thing, and they told me to do so).

You can find it here. So there's that, I suppose.
Thanks for posting the problem on the MS Community. I hope the support team can solve the problem soon.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb